Pro Wrestling Only

UFC 203: Because CM Punk is finally fighting

goc

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck Punk. I was indifferent to him in general (as a wrestler, human being) up until he refused to shake Gall's hand. So.. he trains for years (LOL at the training videos and the final result), takes a shortcut to the UFC and even talks about potential title shots and I should give him credit? Fuck Punk and his dreams.

Not shaking hands offends you? That's like being offended that HHH cheated Seth out of the title on Raw. It's a work to sell a show.

It's not going completely unmentioned, but it really should have more attention how completely ridiculous the Ohio commission comes off here. There wasn't even any pretense of them pretending to care about fighter safety by letting a guy who's previous experience was basically fantasy camping with the Gracies to compete in a professional fight. Sure Mickey Gall wasn't Frank Mir but he at least knew what the fuck he was doing.

I'm not mad at Punk, dude wanted to fight and he did and got paid. I'm not even mad at UFC, they wanted some hype for what would have been a dud of a PPV without his name and got some buzz out of it. I know state commissions are historically corrupt, but it seems to set what could be a dangerous precedent to allow weekend warrior types to fight professionally just because they're rich and/or have a name.

It's not going completely unmentioned, but it really should have more attention how completely ridiculous the Ohio commission comes off here. There wasn't even any pretense of them pretending to care about fighter safety by letting a guy who's previous experience was basically fantasy camping with the Gracies to compete in a professional fight. Sure Mickey Gall wasn't Frank Mir but he at least knew what the fuck he was doing.

I'm not mad at Punk, dude wanted to fight and he did and got paid. I'm not even mad at UFC, they wanted some hype for what would have been a dud of a PPV without his name and got some buzz out of it. I know state commissions are historically corrupt, but it seems to set what could be a dangerous precedent to allow weekend warrior types to fight professionally just because they're rich and/or have a name.

Fool, this is America. We let rich people do whatever the hell they want. If you can't use your money and influence to get your brain beat in, what is the point of being rich?

• 4 weeks later...

Call me crazy but I don't think punk did that bad

I just got fight pass and had the random urge to rewatch the fight

If it wasn't cm punk , it's just a random fight that was under a round thst was quite exciting

I won't try to discredit Punk and can appreciate the fact that he actually went through with it, but he didn't do that well.

He tried throwing a wild looping right hand and got taken down easily by Gall who then proceeded to dominate him on the ground.

Punk showed no hip movement and just looked like a fish out of water on the ground.

I'm not sure what Punk's belt ranking is in BJJ right now, but he looked like a novice white belt on the ground. I doubt he's a white belt as he's been doing BJJ for a couple of years, but he didn't look like he had been doing BJJ before. If he's still a white belt after the amount of years he's been doing BJJ, then he's a very slow learner or didn't train 4-5 days a week.

Gall is a brown belt, so that fight went exactly as it was expected to go. There's a reason why white belts and brown belts shouldn't be rolling competitively and it was visible there.

Also yeah Couture-Toney was a total joke too, but Punk being treated by fans and MMA media in more serious fashion and with more reverence than James Fucking Toney is pretty funny and eye rolling. But whatever, I love MMA but MMA media and its fanbase is so bizzare

MMA fans hated the idea of Punk fighting in the UFC entirely. They knew he was going to get steamrolled.

The MMA media on the other hand is a joke.

If it wasn't cm punk , it's just a random fight that was under a round thst was quite exciting

I won't try to discredit Punk and can appreciate the fact that he actually went through with it, but he didn't do that well.

He tried throwing a wild looping right hand and got taken down easily by Gall who then proceeded to dominate him on the ground.

Punk showed no hip movement and just looked like a fish out of water on the ground.

I'm not sure what Punk's belt ranking is in BJJ right now, but he looked like a novice white belt on the ground. I doubt he's a white belt as he's been doing BJJ for a couple of years, but he didn't look like he had been doing BJJ before. If he's still a white belt after the amount of years he's been doing BJJ, then he's a very slow learner or didn't train 4-5 days a week.

Gall is a brown belt, so that fight went exactly as it was expected to go. There's a reason why white belts and brown belts shouldn't be rolling competitively and it was visible there.

Gall is a brown belt, but from what I understand he's kind of a grappling savant. He has won multiple high level jiu-jitsu tournaments and held his own against Gordon Ryan, who a lot of people think is the best grappler in the world. Gall is a legit MMA prospect who is really smart about how to market himself. Honestly, he was only in that fight because he is so young, and only had two pro fights. He called out CM Punk after his first pro fight, if he had 5 or 6 fights there is no way they would have put Punk in the cage with him. His next fight is against Sage Northcutt, who is a guy who the UFC has been pushing as a blue chip prospect. I would not be surprised if Gall beats him.

Gall is a brown belt, but from what I understand he's kind of a grappling savant. He has won multiple high level jiu-jitsu tournaments and held his own against Gordon Ryan, who a lot of people think is the best grappler in the world. Gall is a legit MMA prospect who is really smart about how to market himself. Honestly, he was only in that fight because he is so young, and only had two pro fights. He called out CM Punk after his first pro fight, if he had 5 or 6 fights there is no way they would have put Punk in the cage with him. His next fight is against Sage Northcutt, who is a guy who the UFC has been pushing as a blue chip prospect. I would not be surprised if Gall beats him.

The problem with Gall is that he lacks experience and he's never fought anyone on Sage's level yet.

He's only beat virtual unknowns in MMA, so it's hard to say how good he currently is.

Gall has a ton of potential, but I don't see him beating guys as experience as Sage yet.

The problem with Gall is that he lacks experience and he's never fought anyone on Sage's level yet.

He's only beat virtual unknowns in MMA, so it's hard to say how good he currently is.

Gall has a ton of potential, but I don't see him beating guys as experience as Sage yet.

Sage isn't exactly a polished MMA fighter though. He's a phenomenal athlete, and that allows him to run through a lot of less talented fighters. He's not going to be able to do that with Gall, who is also a great athlete and is the naturally larger fighter. I honestly think it is the best fight for both of these guys' careers at this point. Both guys are too well known to fight a scrub, but neither guy should be fighting anyone ranked above the top 40-50 guys in their very tough weight divisions. Northcutt is a guy who can do a lot of things really well, but I don't think he's great at anything. His biggest problem is that he doesn't seem to have any idea how to fight tactically. Gall is a guy who has shown that he knows exactly what he's good at, and how to fight in a way that takes advantage of his skill set. He's had 3 pro fights and they are essentially identical. Give me the guy who has what could grow into an elite skill who fights tactically over the guy who depends on his athleticism who doesn't fight tactically. I don't know who will win that fight, but Gall is who I would favor.

• 1 year later...

Bump?

Second verse, same as the first, really. Punk wasn't an embarrassment in the 1st round and conceivably could even have won it, but after that he was gassed and helpless and would have been annihilated had his opponent not been a tomato can whom Rogan was actively saying seemed to be carrying the fight to make sure it went a full 3 rounds. One of the unofficial online scorers had the second round as 10-*7*, which I've never even heard of in an MMA fight.

What the fuck is Corey Graves talking about?!

Corey Graves
‏Verified account @WWEGraves
41m41 minutes ago

Maybe abandoning everybody who stood by your side, even when we weren’t supposed to, only to have you turn your back on us wasn’t the right move after all? No anger. Only sadness.

Corey Graves
28m28 minutes ago

Awww. Seems the “fans” are disappointed. Maybe you guys should know that “That Dude” held my first son before I did because I was on tour and I trusted him.

I had dinner with him the week after he quit.

Corey Graves
26m26 minutes ago

The first rule of “punk rock” is loyalty, and this guy betrayed it all.

I still love you, “friend” and I’m sorry you got lost.

Corey Graves
20m20 minutes ago

Don’t worry, hey @VinceMcMahon this has nothing to do with you.

You either @TripleH

This isn’t corporate. This is real life.

Calm down internerds.

Does Graves or whoever think that Punk is going to reconsider or something? Like he is desperate to crawl back? Who knows the whole story but Punk seems perfectly happy doing his own thing even if he isn't a success at it. It only makes people like Graves look stupid for caring so much about him while they carry out their soulless WWE shilling company man routine. I get not liking Punk or even being happy to see him fail, but people act like the guy left them high and dry in some awful way.

Yeah the whole "you broke the code of punk rock" is just funny coming from Sterling James Keenan. Maybe he was also that kind of guy in the indies but conformed for the business but he didn't become a blatant CM Punk rip off until he went to FCW and then NXT.

I assume it is just him being the company guy shitting on the person who won a lawsuit against a WWE employee (at the time). To be fair if anyone deserves to be a company guy it is Graves because he is clearly never wrestling again and they gave him a broadcaster job when he had no experience at all.

Now he is just shitting on the internet fans and Punk is just an afterthought. To be the point if insulting people for liking Kenny Omega of all things. The problem is that he has seen that the internet can be easily worked into a shoot with the Booker T thing and now just want to play with them. That is why there is a part of me that wonders how shoot this really is.

More delirious tweets from Graves:

My loyalty? Oh, would you like the BEFORE? Or AFTER? I've got both.

I mean, one can only be s--t on by their "best friend" for so long before they smarten up, no?

But it's cool. I'm sure you love Kenny Omega. And you know more about this business and friendship than I do. ??
— Corey Graves (@WWEGraves) June 10, 2018

Dude, I'm far from distraught. I'm in a good place. I'm just really bummed that I had a true friend turn his back on me for no other reason than the company that employs me.
— Corey Graves (@WWEGraves) June 10, 2018

Omega responded with a gif.

I'm also wondering if it's a work. Graves couldn't be this stupid, could he? With that said, I did hear that Punk basically cut ties with almost everyone from wrestling after he left WWE. I know for sure Jericho mentioned it. There's also this weird-as-fuck rift between Punk and Hornswoggle.

Graves has done an interview explaining his remarks, including this gem

"It kinda shocked me when I texted him about grabbing dinner because we were in Chicago and he told me he no longer had any interest in being friends with me or anybody related to WWE."

So I can kind of see how someone could be annoyed when a former close friend turns his back on you because you work for his former employer. Graves' friendship with Punk wasn't going to pay the bills if he left the WWE

Graves has done an interview explaining his remarks, including this gem

"It kinda shocked me when I texted him about grabbing dinner because we were in Chicago and he told me he no longer had any interest in being friends with me or anybody related to WWE."

So I can kind of see how someone could be annoyed when a former close friend turns his back on you because you work for his former employer. Graves' friendship with Punk wasn't going to pay the bills if he left the WWE

Going by this, Jericho and even Hornswoggle. Punk is a better fighter than human being.

Graves airing this dirty laundry on Twitter isn't a great look, but if this is a shoot, I can understand the feeling of betrayal.

To put it in some context, Bret Hart had some pretty legit reasons to be upset with the WWE by 2000, but I never got the sense that he cut himself off of friendships with "the boys" (like Austin, for example) just because they continued to work with the WWE. I'm sure he had mixed feelings about Owen staying in the WWE in 98', but based on his book, it sounds like they remained close and probably just avoided talking about the business as much as they could.

And I bring up Bret because he might be the poster boy, warranted or not, for being the "Bitter Ex-WWE Guy" (even years after returning to the fold).

So, yeah, CM Punk getting upset with Colt Cabana about benign visits to the WWE locker room or refusing to remain cordial with anyone who works for the WWE is kinda lame. You can take the moral high ground and regard WWE as an evil company without necessarily painting every one of their employe - err, independent contractors - as equally guilty. Its the WWE, not the Nazi Party. I mean, I don't like what Jimmy Johns stands for, but if a close friend started working there because he loves sandwich-making, has a family to support, and is going to get paid there much better than he would making sandwiches for local/independent sandwich shops, I think I could separate our friendship from his employer's awful policies/politics.