The Military Industrial Suplex Podcast

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:47 PM

The Military Industrial Suplex is a new deceptively awkward and cultured pro wrestling podcast with tons of tasteful psychological nudity, breathy mixes of phantom percussion, and enough obscure references to make Samuel Pepys sound like Max von Sydow! Join host Tom Bautista as he discusses the complex world of pro wrestling and how this unique world operates within real-world narratives while simultaneously creating its own shadowy tip of reality. A podcast that promises insightful conversations that are less "Davey Richards" and more Barney Stinson sitting in the corner of some dark cafe, drinking cold brew coffee, reading Kafka, and wearing a Operation Ivy t-shirt.

Tom graduates podcast puberty and discusses The LGBTQi Community's past, present, and future presence and representation in pro wrestling!

MIS on iTunes:

https://itunes.apple...ex/id1150956952

MIS on Google:

https://play.google....yqrh74xhabjn5ua

#2 soup23

soup23
  • Moderators
  • 10652 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:54 AM

Strong first effort guys. The topic was engaging and you guys didn't sound scared of your own voice. Keep it up!

#3 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciated. We are going to record another this week and then release a few days after that.

#4 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:42 PM

Hello again,

Episode Two is HERE~!

Tom & Dave discuss ageism in professional wrestling and the pervasive phenomenon of overt jeunistic attitudes perpetuated by the fans, personnel at all levels within wrestling organizations, and even the wrestlers themselves.

I realize that for the type of discussions I want to have, I will definitely need a format sheet. So Episode 3 is going to be WAY more structured.

#5 BigBadMick

BigBadMick
  • Members
  • 1474 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:12 AM

Very good episode. Plenty to chew on and think about.

#6 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:56 PM

This will be the last episode I record where I sound like I am recording live from a walk in freezer. Despite the setback-- I hope you guys enjoy the content.

MIS Episode 3 Description:

With the apple pie already in the oven, Dave & Tom break out their favorite pair of American flag print Zubaz, dusts off the 2 X 4’s, and take a knee to discuss the historical use and portrayal of patriotism and nationalism in pro wrestling.          

iTunes:

Google Play:

Aside from any audio complaints, feedback is welcomed.

#7 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11352 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:38 AM

Interesting listen, and I'm glad you spent a good amount of time on Mohammed Hasan cos personally I thought that whole debacle was not just a dark time for wrestling and the WWE, but America itself. You didn't get into the whole debate part of the angle with Lawler, but you've got to look back on that stuff and just cringe. Just horrible all around.

I had a couple of thoughts listening:

1. I was thinking about someone in wrestling history who embodies American values and fits the definition of "patriorism" you outlined on this show, and the answer I came up with was someone who isn't actually American: Bruno Sammartino.

What is more American than the Italian immigrant who grew up under Nazi oppression making his way to the bright lights of New York, and through a hard work ethic raised himself from the boot straps from the docks to world titles?

Bruno embraced American values properly, and fought off evil Nazis (Waldo von Erich), evil Japanese guys (Tanaka / Fuji), evil communists (Ivan Koloff), and even Greek guys turned rougue (Spiros Airon).

The whole story just seems very "American" to me, even if Bruno was never excpicitly flag waving about it.

2. Some of the political events / social contexts might need teasing out a bit more:

Mr Fuji (also not really Japanese by the way) was talked about a lot here, but I think there three distinct phases to him as a heel:

60s-70s: He's basically a carry over from World War 2. During this period it was stand for Japanese guys to be evil foreingers in USA and for Americans to be evil foreigners in Japan for obvious reasons. People in the crowds could still remember the war.

80s: When Fuji transitions to wearing the hat and cane, WWF were tapping into anxieties about Japanese big business taking over and putting American firms out of business. The influx of Tyota, Honda, Sony, Nintendo, Nikon, and dozens of other Japanese products during that period led to a big outcry about this. It's reflected in some of the more political music of the early-80s too. It's not just racism against "the sneaky Japanese", it was speaking -- I *guess* -- to genuine blue collar concerns that the Ford factory worker was gonna be out of a job because everyone is buying Japanese cars, etc.

90s: When Fuji goes into the robe, he's more ceremonial and part of the Yokozuna package as this fearsome Sumo monster. I don't think Yokozuna was tied especially to anything political, he was just a monster heel, and packaging him as a sumo with Fuji holding the Japanese flag made sense.

Some others:

1979: This is when Great Arab Hussein transitions to Iron Sheik and it's right around the time of the Iranian revolution when Khomeni was saying "death to the great Satan USA", and thereafter of course Jimmy Carter's Iran hostrage crisis, which made Iron Sheik one of the hottest heels in history for a four or five year stretch there till about 85.

The Original Sheik / Skandor Akbar / Adnan Al-Kaisey: I think all of these guys to some extent spoke to American paranoia about being held hostage to oil prices by those damn A-rabs. Original Sheik is also a bit of a call-back to just old-fashioned orientialism / exoticism, there were a lot of wrestling Turks / Sultans in the 1920s and 30s right through to the 70s.

This is stretching things, but you could see Nikita Koloff turning to tag with Dusty in 87 as wrestling's recognition of perestroika.

I'll leave it there.

#8 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:44 PM

Yeah, I came off like a mark not mentioning the fact that Mr. Fuji was Hawaii. As far as the political talk, its a good thing. I cam trying to keep this thing under 2 hours, but going past the 90 minute mark may be needed to add really good substance because I would like to delve further into the social-political atmosphere at the times of certain angles, etc. as it will help with the context. So good suggestion and the Bruno thing got me thinking. The American Dream is personified, in a lot of cases, through strife-achievement-hard work, etc. While living in the wrestling bubble, its easy to forget that so the Bruno stuff brings that point home. Another good observation that I will touch on on episode 4 before kicking into the topic of that show. Thanks again for the kind words and thoughts. Its very much appreciated.

#9 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

We this holiday season has been a bit TOO merry. A lot of work not getting done. Will be ramping up at the start of the year and exploring some new gimmicks and formatting ideas for the show. Should be fun!

Description:

The two-man crew of the charter boat SS Suplex ran into a tropical storm with one of the crew members being lost at sea. Now, shipwrecked on an uncharted island somewhere in the Pacific Ocean, Tom Batista, must press forward the only way he knows how--ranting about pro wrestling. With his trusty, and somehow ultra durable Packard Bell AR-851 AM Radio, Tom discusses authenticity and imitation in pro wrestling and the various aspects of the existentialist philosophies and how they are interpreted and applied by promoters, wrestlers, and the business overall. The "three-hour tour" may have come to an end, but Tom's ruckity-muck decision making process of selecting the color of his Kopi Luwak and new podcast gimmick have just begun!

Itunes:

#10 RyanClingman

RyanClingman
  • Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:39 PM

Everyone, please stop producing so many podcasts I want to listen to! This is too much; I am still getting caught up on the GWE content. Thankfully many of these shows are ever-green. Hyped to listen to this.

#11 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:09 AM

Thanks. Hope you enjoy. It should be on the PWO Soundcloud feed in the coming days.

#12 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 8297 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:21 PM

Thanks. Hope you enjoy. It should be on the PWO Soundcloud feed in the coming days.

It's not there yet, what is the issue?

#13 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:30 PM

I am not sure. I reached out to both Parv and Brad. Its only Tuesday, so I am sure it will go up tomorrow or the latest Friday.

#14 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 05:40 PM

And we are up and running.

http://placetobenati...inite-playlist/

#15 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 8297 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:00 PM

And we are up and running.

http://placetobenati...inite-playlist/

Awesome! Will download tonight!

#16 bradhindsight

bradhindsight
  • Moderators
  • 1574 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:27 AM

It's not there yet, what is the issue?

No issue - it was the holidays and then it slid into the schedule.

Enjoy -and please share feedback!

#17 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:25 PM

Well the good news is that I will have someone recording a soon released episode with me as I feel this works best when there is someone to interact with. The more the merrier of course. If there is anyone who would like to do a future recording--feel free to reach out. Also, if there is subject/topic matter you'd like discussed--please let me know.

#18 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:30 PM

If You're Reading This It's Too Late:

Episode 5 is coming this week~!

Did an episode with The Lucha Undead Podcast and that should drop in 2-3 weeks~!

And some stuff in the pipe with Grimmas, Quinton, and so many more~!

Official website is going up in the coming days ~!

And due to popular demand, I might have to stop acting like an old man and get one of those Twitter machine-thingies~!

ARRIBA~!

#19 RyanClingman

RyanClingman
  • Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:13 AM

HYPE!

#20 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:47 PM