The Military Industrial Suplex Podcast

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 soup23

soup23
  • Moderators
  • 10652 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:23 PM

Latest show was incredible. Great job Tom splicing in the audio clips. I was really taken aback by the severity of the stuff Teddy Long was talking about. Just one of those things where you hear that and are forced to reflect on how you feel about certain wrestlers and why it's tough for most in this business to be presented as idols. None of it was stuff I haven't really heard before but I had to actually question myself and how conditioned I shamefully have become to overt racism within wrestling that it realy startled me hearing some of the discussion points here on this honed in topic. 

#22 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:18 AM

Yeah, I feel thus far this was my magnum opus--but then again--I am only 5 episodes in...sooo... :)

I feel we got a lot of mileage out of this one and it was a good conversation and the reaction to it is warming. The warm reaction was the light in an otherwise dark day in my podcast life as I lost my audio while recording one of my favorite wrestling podcast hosts of all time: Joe Gagne. Super bummed about that as that was a fun chat! :)

#23 jushin muta liger

jushin muta liger
  • Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:15 PM

Yeah, I feel thus far this was my magnum opus--but then again--I am only 5 episodes in...sooo... :)

I feel we got a lot of mileage out of this one and it was a good conversation and the reaction to it is warming. The warm reaction was the light in an otherwise dark day in my podcast life as I lost my audio while recording one of my favorite wrestling podcast hosts of all time: Joe Gagne. Super bummed about that as that was a fun chat! :)

This show was the first time listening for me and I really like it cause you guys got to hit almost every point in terms of African Americans in wrestling. Years ago, Dylan and Dave did a Black History Month episode of Wrestling Culture (which was good) but having Tom and Quentin address the things that I and other black fans have been talking was great and refreshing to hear as there is not a lot of black voices in terms of this wrestling bubble. I belted a "Yes!" in my kitchen when Tom brought up sexual racism cause it's an obvious issue in terms of not seeing interracial couples on WWE TV mostly. We've seen it in other places but not as much in the number one company in the world. And when y'all talked about the Rock, I was impressed cause the there wasn't that much left on the show but you guys addressed it in a great way. From this, I will go back and listen your back catalogue of shows and continue to listen from now on out.

I always thought (and I'm not trying to call him out here but) Les Moore with Talking Sheet would touch topics like this and give people like Quentin and Tom a platform about an issue like this but that show hasn't lived up to what I was expecting where as Tom is doing it here. You got a new listener.

#24 bradhindsight

bradhindsight
  • Moderators
  • 1574 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:29 AM

Thank you for that feedback. 

Here's a playlist we have for Tom's entire catalog:

https://soundcloud.c...dustrial-suplex

#25 BigBadMick

BigBadMick
  • Members
  • 1474 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:21 PM

Good, meaty thought-provoking stuff as I've come to expect from these shows.

One thing - what was the story with Bill Watts and 2 Cold Scorpio's debut? I couldn't quite follow that bit.

#26 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:32 PM

Thank you for all the kind words lads! Its encouraging, as I would like to begin to pop these out more. Thank you!

As Far as 2 Cold is concerned, apparently Watts told Scorpio straight-up on day one that he (Watts) is a racist and may drop the N-bomb here-and-there, but at the end of the day he is about making money. If Watts can make money with you, then he is going to do it! 2 Cold at least respected that about Watts as it was all out-in-the-open. The story was shared to illustrate the rare (and shocking) candor some have experienced when entering the business and dealing with various figures within. Everyone is 'judged', I understand, but its something that is disproportionately impacted wrestlers of color (brown, black, etc.) than others.

#27 bradhindsight

bradhindsight
  • Moderators
  • 1574 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

This was, as noted here by everyone, really well done. One section that I found really interesting was around the Ahmed Johnson / NoD angle where they painted him as an Uncle Tom - and he ended up joining the faction to "you sold out chants". I forget what the conversation shifted to after Tom explained the story; was hoping you guys would explore that more and get Quentin's thoughts. Fascinating angle for '97 that I forgot about.

I thought this show finished extremely strong also with the Booker T stuff and then Quentin to kind of wrap with his thoughts, which tied into each piece Tom brought up.  Nice work Tom.

#28 Quentin Skinner

Quentin Skinner
  • Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:13 AM

I'm not too familiar with that Ahmed Johnson angle so that's why we didn't go too in-depth on it. Sometime soon I'll go back and watch some of it.

One thing I want to bring up if we ever do a part 2 is the presentation of Ron Killings in 2002 TNA. He was going around talking about being held back by "them" and at one point he had a confrontation with Ricky Steamboat. Now usually whenever someone brings up race as a reason for them not getting opportunities, they get presented as a heel. But in this promo with Steamboat, Killings by the end of it reaches some understanding with Steamboat and the commentators say things like "well, he has a point there." It's the only time in wrestling I can recall where the person claiming racism eventually got validated and not dismissed. People should seek it out.

#29 bradhindsight

bradhindsight
  • Moderators
  • 1574 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:10 AM

That's fair - without the context of watching it and off the cuff (with only Tom's overview), I completely get that. Good point QT.

#30 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:03 PM

OMG! Episode 6 is in the books and coming out soon! I did an episode with Grimmas and it was a fun conversation!

#31 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:00 PM

Yay! We did it. Great conversation with Grimmas that of course leaves enough room for future discussions as we didn't get to talk about Exoticos and some other things. :)

http://placetobenati...ris-is-burning/

#32 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:41 PM

Wow! I have been gone for some time. Time to return! The goal is to hit the magic number of '4'.

#33 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:34 AM

New Ep is up. I am going to do this one every month.

MIS X is Tom Batista's new monthly extension of the MIS Universe! MIS X covers the biggest pro wrestling news and hot-button issues within pro wrestling-culture, while engaging various personnel in, outside, and around the wrestling business. In the first episode, Tom is joined by a veteran of pro wrestling podcasting--Joe Gagne. From hosting Joe Vs. The World to creating Joe Gagne's Funtime Pro Wrestling Arcade, Joe is a true pro wrestling renaissance man. This month Tom and Joe discuss ​Joe's humble podcast beginnings, a show NOT called the Justin Shapirshow, the future of pro wrestling podcasting, Joe's SECRET PROJECT, WCW backstage assault,Tom Green, and MORE~!

https://soundcloud.c...017-w-joe-gagne

#34 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:37 PM

I am putting the final touches on one of the latest episodes of MIS which features a good conversation with Tim from Lucha Undead. We discuss postmodernism in pro wrestling! Yay!

#35 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:28 AM

MIS E8: I Luch-adore You~!

Tom is joined by Tim, the host of Lucha Undead, to discuss the history and use of postmodernism in pro wrestling in the 21st century. The two discuss the slight-of-hand that has occurred by wrestling promoters, bookers, etc. steaming off of a misinterpreted reading of fans real-world wants and needs, which has lead to cultures in the stands switching with those in the office and vice versa. A deceptively cooling way of thinking that, in some cases are implemented with good intentions, but more-often-than-not end with WCW 99 as the end product. A discussion of the overall vision and embodiment of postmodernism and neo modernism in pro wrestling and what is exactly means for the current generation and the future generations of pro wrestling fans. A Seussian breakdown of the philosophical doctrine of power and words and the use of these items to deconstruct pro wrestling as we use to and currently know it~!

https://soundcloud.c...-luch-adore-you

#36 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:32 PM

Enjoyed working with Andrew to get this done. Andrew is the host of Music of the Mat on the Voice of Wrestling feed and has an awesome show worth a listen. MIS E10 is a brief exploration and discussion of music in pro wrestling. Andrew was on fire and we got to hit a lot of high points. This discussion could have easily gone 8-10 hours for a discussion this complexed and varied!

https://soundcloud.c...a-minuet-book-i

#37 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 3105 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:03 PM

Enjoyed this show a lot. Interesting history and analysis

#38 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for listening. Glad you enjoyed. I always wonder if I should make these longer, but I have not been flooded with requests to do beyond 3 hour podcasts--so I will take that as a blessing for now. :)

I am considering on eventually doing  episodes for for Mexico, UK, and Japan. I think those will be interesting.

#39 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 4014 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:18 PM

Listened to #5 and thought you guys did a really good job with it.  I liked that you went more into the nuanced aspects of racism in wrestling rather than covering just the broad strokes.

#40 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:53 PM

Thanks. Still more on that front that should be discussed.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users