Pro Wrestling Only

[2002-12-11-NWA TNA] A.J. Styles vs Amazing Red

Superstar Sleeze

AJ Styles vs Amazing Red - NWA-TNA 12/11/02

I have been praising AJ vs Low Ki ad naseum, but it is actually AJ vs Red that have had the best two matches in TNA in 2002 that I have seen so far. This featured great early 2000s work with awesome face/heel dynamics. Amazing Red was taken out last week by Styles and starts this match red hot wailing on AJ who tries shoving him off, but Red will not be deterred. Great Red shine with Red Star Press and 619. When he tries follow up on the outside AJ catches him and hits a powerbomb on his knee. The rest of the match is AJ working an awesome cocky bully heat segment while Red sells well and times his hope spots really effectively. AJ was just great in using power moves to cut Red off at the press while Red had to use sudden bursts of energy to have any hope of winning. I loved stuff like Red trying the Code Red early but getting squashed but eventually hitting it. AJ hits a massive powerbomb at one point. The match is pretty much entirely just made up of a heat segment and hope spots and the crowd was totally into the wrestlers and this story. The finish was them tussling on the top rope and Red winning with a Super Top Rope Hurricanarna and AJ doing a 450 off the top. Red gets the HUGE upset win to a big pop. Perfect melding of old school babyface/heel dynamics with some sweet innovative spots. My TNA match of the year thus far. ****

• GSR changed the title to [2002-12-11-NWA TNA] A.J. Styles vs Amazing Red