Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

Been watching ECW chronologically since the network put all the first shows up. A few questions:

1. Who was the Dark Patriot #2 and Super Summer Sizzler Spectacular that wrestled Murdoch? Looks like Neidhart

2. So does anybody know the real reason Eddie Gilbert split with ECW before SuperClash? I have heard 2 different scenarios

a. Heyman convinced Gordon he should be booker and pushed Gilbert out

b. Gilbert left because he didn't want to be a part of the NWA and associated with Crockett's startup

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just watching the 92/93 ECW Timeline with Tod Gordon and these are his answers:

1. Who was the Dark Patriot #2 and Super Summer Sizzler Spectacular that wrestled Murdoch? Looks like Neidhart

Doug Gilbert.

2. So does anybody know the real reason Eddie Gilbert split with ECW before SuperClash? I have heard 2 different scenarios

a. Heyman convinced Gordon he should be booker and pushed Gilbert out
b. Gilbert left because he didn't want to be a part of the NWA and associated with Crockett's startup

He was paranoid from drugs and believed Gordon was working with Heyman and Crockett to push him out, so he quit.

But weren't they actually working to push him out though? Maybe not as quickly as he assumed they were but it definitely seemed to be happening on some level.

Apparently Heyman and Crockett were planning on doing something, but, Tod wasn't involved and didn't want to be. Eddie got paranoid and quit, and then came his senses a few days later.

Tod also says that Heyman didn't get the book right away. Tod went back to booking, and Heyman was helping him out, and then later on, he decided to let Paul do it, but, everything had to be approved by Tod.

Does everyone still dislike the Tiger Mask vs. Dynamite Kid series? I know they were praised over 10 years ago and then everyone just turned on them years later.

I'm rewatching them as I haven't seen them in God knows how long and I just got done watching the first one and it was pretty bad.

It seems like every Sayama match I watch is just an exhibition of the cool highspots he was pulling off over 35 years ago in Britain and Japan.

Another random question:

What is the general opinion on the Cobra, George Takano?

What is the general opinion on Stampede Wrestling? That's a promotion that never gets talked about at all. I haven't watched any of their footage in years, but I remember digging some of the Owen Hart vs. Makhan Singh matches, but I'm sure those won't appeal to everyone.

Another random question:

What is the general opinion on Stampede Wrestling? That's a promotion that never gets talked about at all. I haven't watched any of their footage in years, but I remember digging some of the Owen Hart vs. Makhan Singh matches, but I'm sure those won't appeal to everyone.

I love what I've seen wrestling wise of Stampede, but the TV is hard to watch with matches always being JIP and Ed Whalen being the worst commentator ever.

Another random question:

I love what I've seen wrestling wise of Stampede, but the TV is hard to watch with matches always being JIP and Ed Whalen being the worst commentator ever.

I remember some Stampede fans thinking highly of Johnny Smith. I never thought he was that great, but again I haven't watched any of his matches in forever. I may need to go back and watch some of his stuff to see.

Also there's no way Ed Whalen is worse than the WOS commentator who was on the verge of an orgasm every time Sayama did a faint spin kick or something along that line.

Another random question:

I remember some Stampede fans thinking highly of Johnny Smith. I never thought he was that great, but again I haven't watched any of his matches in forever. I may need to go back and watch some of his stuff to see.

Also there's no way Ed Whalen is worse than the WOS commentator who was on the verge of an orgasm every time Sayama did a faint spin kick or something along that line.

Kent Walton is worse than Ed Whalen? Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

Another random question:

My god Edwin, go and see your local Otolaryngologist.

Another random question:

My god Edwin, go and see your local Otolaryngologist.

As I mentioned before: "I haven't watched any of their footage in years..." (talking about Stampede), so my general opinion was based on what I had seen recently, which was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O89soFGp2E

and it seems that who's ever doing commentary is on the verge of an orgasm each time Sayama moved.

Walton worse than Ed Whalen? I really have heard it all now! Not counting the fact that I've seen plenty of both to vehemently disagree with that opinion, but Walton is also one of the few commentators to be voted in to the Observer Hall of Fame (as opposed to being put in by Dave in the original class).

The other night I watched my first Matt Riddle match ever and my first Catweazle match ever in the span of 30 minutes. While I though the Riddle match (vs John Silver) was okay, with an especially fun finishing stretch, just based on stylistic preferences alone, I'm almost 100% certain I'm going to watch another Catweazle match before I watch another Matt Riddle match.

There's an argument to say Catweazle is one of the most on-trend wrestlers ever.

Here is the "real" Catweazle.

catweazle_041.jpg

I think the wrestelr Catweazle also took a bit from this chap though:

xnzAVfVhU79XD26dWUNkfCM1bcD.jpg

That's Worzel Gummidge, the scarecrow come-to-life, used to advertise Harvester restaurants during the 80s but heyday in the 70s. Played by former Doctor Who Jon Pertwee. I think the guy who played Catweazle was also in Worzel Gummidge.