Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DDP Yoga. It works. Scrawny guy, never done sports, always bad at it at school, stiff as a rod, regular drinker and now at the finishing stages of "advanced" level in 7 months and in the best shape of my life at 42 (lost 5 pounds without even dieting in the process, from the little fat I got from beer and junk-food). So yeah, believe the hype.

100% agree with this. I got it when I was 30 (3 years ago now) and did it really well for about a year and a half. It helped me with not just flexibility and core strength, but also with weight lifting and cardio. I don't do it much anymore and to be honest I really should make it a more regular part of my routine. I wound up shifting more to biking and doing more weights at some point, but I still go back to it from time to time if I am feeling sluggish or I need a better core workout.

Plus, I'll swear by the fact that if you do the wake up or any of the lighter exercises first thing in the morning it is better than 5 cups of coffee. It is so good for giving you sustainable energy.

How have you guys never gotten me to watch GCW? Watching the 79 stuff from the Yearbook project and it's great, it's like Memphis and Alabama except with more talent (I'm not saying it's as good as Memphis). Heenan as the lead heel, Hansen, Ole, Ladd, Masked Superstar, Hogan, a young Bret Hart, a young Buzz Sawyer, Atlas, Bob Armstrong, I'm loving it.

Whats the beef between Nash and Tunney?

Been watching a shoot interview where Nash claims he hated Jack Tunney when they went to Canada.

Jack Tunney was obviously never really the President of the WWF. He was just a suit Vince McMahon used as an on-air figurehead during the 80's, when Vince didn't want the fans to know he was really the owner. (The fact Vince was the owner was public knowledge but it never got talked about on TV until after the Montreal Screwjob, really.) Jack Tunney and his uncle Frank were the local WWF promoters in Toronto and used to have an office across the street from Maple Leaf Gardens. I met him a couple of times when I worked for the guy who had a wrestling poster concession at Maple Leaf Gardens. I didn't like Jack Tunney when I met him. I was only 16 or 17 but I remember he was rude and dismissive to my boss, the employees I saw him interact with, and he was even rude to the fans, which is really stupid for a wrestling promoter. I am pretty sure he came from the school of thought that all wrestling fans must be stupid gullible marks.

Jack and Frank Tunney also did everything they could to put any and all independent wrestling promoters out of business in Ontario. That's what that book that I link to in my signature is about. There was an outlaw promoter here in Ontario named Dave McKigney and Frank and Jack Tunney were always trying to put him out of business. They were very spiteful and petty about it, too.

Jack Tunney was reportedly a notorious cheapskate too, I think the reason Nash disliked him is because the WWF used to always draw huge houses in Toronto to Maple Leaf Gardens, but the payoffs were always suspiciously low. (Having said that, I don't think the WWF ever sold out Maple Leaf Gardens when Diesel was champion.) The guy I worked for told me that the wrestlers all hated Tunney because he was so stingy with payoffs. There were rumors that he used the payoff money to pay gambling debts, and that as soon as Bret Hart became champion in the WWF he used his stroke to get Tunney fired. Tunney had the exclusive contract to run Maple Leaf Gardens for wrestling, which is why the WWF stopped running shows there after Tunney got replaced.

Having said that, all that information is just "rumor and innuendo."

I know his relationship with the WWF ended on a bad note. His wikipedia page is actually really detailed and is pretty accurate, I think.

I love a good strike as much as anybody. There's nothing like a shot that looks like it lands, enhanced by a nice snap and a sick "smacking" sound.

But the arm and thigh-slapping really, REALLY needs to be dialed down across the board. It's bad enough that guys do it on things like double stomps to begin with - when there's just no reason that kind of contact would make that sound. But, when they're in such a habit of doing it that they slap their legs on *MISSED* strikes, it's just another level of ridiculous altogether.

I love a good strike as much as anybody. There's nothing like a shot that looks like it lands, enhanced by a nice snap and a sick "smacking" sound.

But the arm and thigh-slapping really, REALLY needs to be dialed down across the board. It's bad enough that guys do it on things like double stomps to begin with - when there's just no reason that kind of contact would make that sound. But, when they're in such a habit of doing it that they slap their legs on *MISSED* strikes, it's just another level of ridiculous altogether.

In the pwg and lucha underground i have watched the sound of every strike is the extact same due to post production in the case of LU and insessent leg slapping in pwg. It does not matter if it is to the head, arm, leg, chest or is a chop, kick, punch, elbow or miss altogether they all sound the same. its quite funny as everything sounds equally as brutal but that makes everything less brutal and if a strike the finish it just makes me think 'is that it?' as there has been a ton of them in the match or the same night all sounding the same.

In the pwg and lucha underground i have watched the sound of every strike is the extact same due to post production in the case of LU and insessent leg slapping in pwg. It does not matter if it is to the head, arm, leg, chest or is a chop, kick, punch, elbow or miss altogether they all sound the same. its quite funny as everything sounds equally as brutal but that makes everything less brutal and if a strike the finish it just makes me think 'is that it?' as there has been a ton of them in the match or the same night all sounding the same.

My buddy & I noticed this pretty early on in Lucha Underground. He calls them "mouse trap shots" because it sounds like a mouse trap going off on literally every strike.

This popped up on my Facebook. Hulk Hogan vs Dusty Rhodes from Japan 1980. First I've seen of this match up. Is this rare stuff?

https://www.facebook.com/JapaneseWrestlingClassics/videos/1880493778642549/

Never mind. I see the full match in better quality is already available for those in the know in Village Green

I've been trying to come up with a list of all of Macho Man's Televised matches from after he returned from Retirement in 1991 up to when he left WWF in 1994 and wondered if there are any im missing.

12/3/91 Macho Man vs Jake Roberts (Tuesday In Texas)

12/4/91 Macho Man & Jim Duggan vs The Undertaker & Jake Roberts (Invasion 92)

1/18/92 Macho Man vs The Barbarian
1/19/92 Macho Man vs Hercules
1/19/92 Royal Rumble
1/31/92 Macho Man vs Jake Roberts (MSG)
2/8/92 Macho Man vs Jake Roberts (SNME)
2/18/92 Macho Man vs The Berzerker (Battle of WWF Superstars 92)
4/5/92 Macho Man vs Ric Flair (Wrestlemania)
4/14/92 Macho Man vs Shawn Michaels (German Rampage)
4/19/92 Macho Man vs Shawn Michaels (UK Rampage)
4/27/92 Macho Man vs IRS (PTW)
6/2/92 Macho Man vs Ric Flair (UK Fan Favourites 93)
6/3/92 Macho Man vs Repo Man (US Rampage 92)
6/29/92 Macho Man vs Skinner (PTW)
7/20/92 Macho Man & Bret Hart vs Ric Flair & Shawn Michaels (Grudges, Gripes & Grunts)
8/23/92 Macho Man & The Ultimate Warrior vs The Nasty Boys (Summerslam Spectacular)
8/28/92 Macho Man & The Undertaker vs The Berzerker & Ric Flair (German TV)
8/29/92 Macho Man vs The Ultimate Warrior (Summerslam 1992)
9/14/92 Macho Man vs Ric Flair (PTW)
10/19/92 Macho Man vs Papa Shango
11/14/92 Macho Man & The Ultimate Warrior vs Money Inc (SNME)
11/22/92 Macho Man vs Razor Ramon (Italian Superstars)
11/25/92 Macho Man & Mr. Perfect vs Ric Flair & Razor Ramon (Survivor Series 1992)
12/14/92 Macho Man vs Terry Taylor (PTW)

1/24/93 Royal Rumble
1/25/93 Macho Man vs Repo Man (Raw)
3/28/93 Macho Man vs Yokozuna (March to Wrestlemania)
5/4/93 Macho Man vs Giant Gonzalez (Year in Review 93)
6/14/93 Macho Man vs Doink (Inside the WWF)
8/2/93 Macho Man vs Doink (Raw)
9/13/93 Macho Man vs Mr. Hughes (German Superstars)
9/26/93 Macho Man vs Giant Gonzalez (TSN)
9/28/93 Macho Man vs Jerry Lawler (Bloopers, Bleeps & Bodyslams)
10/4/93 20 Man Battle Royal (Raw)
11/24/93 8 man Survivor Series Match (Survivor Series 1993)
12/13/93 Macho Man vs Fatu (Raw)

1/17/94 Macho Man vs IRS (Raw)
1/22/94 Royal Rumble
2/2/94 Macho Man & Lex Luger vs Yokozuna & Crush (Hit's From The Crypt)
2/12/94 Macho Man vs Rick Martel (Superstars)
2/28/94 Macho Man vs Yokozuna (Raw)
3/13/94 Macho Man vs Ben Jordan (Challenge)
3/20/94 Macho Man vs Crush (Wrestlemania)

I don't hate Cody's ROH reign as much as others do but I really want to see Dalton Castle get a run as ROH World Champion. Dalton is over and a true ROH homegrown act, I don't wanna get snotty but Bullet Club will eventually run it's course and ROH will find themselves without anyone with drawing power if they don't start elevating those who aren't BC or wrestling for New Japan. If Dalton had a longish run that would be great but I'd even take a two month run from Final Battle to the Anniversary Show. As long as at the TV Tapings in between Dalton defends the Championship against Silas Young and Colt Cabana playing off old feuds between the two. Pull the trigger see what happens, you can always put the strap back on Cody at the Anniversary Show, if it's a total flop but I don't think it will be.

This is all based on what I saw during Omega-Okada 2 and the G-1 Special and I have no idea what is going on between Cody and Omega in New Japan right now. But if they are still teasing Cody vs Omega and with Naito challenging Okada for the World Title, I'd run Omega vs Cody for the US title at WrestleKingdom. I'd have Cody go over. I think it'd make more sense Cody could defend the Championship more stateside in ROH. It opens Omega up to Challenge for Tanahashi's IC Championship possibly at SuperCard of Honor. Cody as IWGP US Champion keeps him with something to do in ROH while also letting Dalton run as ROH World Champion. Although one could argue that Cody as US Champion might overshadow Dalton as ROH World Champion.

There's alot of ways to go for SuperCard of Honor. I think the best way to go and probably the best draw is having Austin Aries show at the Florida TV tapings, start having Aries start ascending the ranks and then at SuperCard of Honor Aries challenges Dalton for the World Title. So at Supercard of Honor you run Dalton vs Aries for the ROH World Title as the Main Event with Dalton going over and in the Semi Main you Omega vs Tanahashi for the IWGP IC Championship with Omega going over. And You have Cody defend the US Championship up the card as well. I think that draws pretty well.

Another way to go, which I wouldn't, is have Dalton vs Omega at Supercard with Omega going over and being ROH World Champion playing the Lesnar role only showing up for the PPVs and Supercards defending the championship for the remainder of the year as ROH builds a star to take the belt of Omega t the following years Supercard of Honor to finally dethrone Omega. And with Cody as IWGP US Champion Cody can main event PPV's and other shows defending his championship on the shows Omega isn't on making it the de facto main championship of ROH.

If Vince had given Randy what he wanted, a long feud with Shawn where they wrestled at 2 Wrestlemania's do you reckon Randy would have retired happy to do commentary?

Or would he have jumped to WCW anyway?

I watched Randy v Shawn from World Tour 1992 last night. Dullsville! Randy may or may not have been hurt before the match. But he and Shawn had zero chemistry.

Sheri tried to pep things up, but even she couldn't make it work as well as it needed.

I'm a bit late Re: Jack Tunney but I have to note that Canada is getting more and more interesting with all it's weird promotional "wars". I have been going through every show on the newest Vance Nevada list in order to have everything represented on WrestlingData and especially the ca. 1972 Ontario shows with Bobby Heenan are a weird promotional setup where I might have to move some shows to a different promotion (like I have just moved a good amount of Ray LaMontagne shows but that's a whole different era and in Quebec). As I'm also still doing Farhat and the other (rival) promotions in Ohio it will end up quite interesting to look at that bigger picture in the end. Stupid Whipper Watson Jr.........

I don't mind the Bullet Club stuff in NJPW since they tend to have more balance on their shows, but ROH is in danger of falling in the WCW trap of letting the popular stable run wild leading to no one outside it being able to get over.

I was at the Chicago ROH show a couple weeks ago and felt the same way, but Kenny Omega is over like he is the fucking Rock. It's hard to blame them for riding the wave when 3/4 of the crowd has their phone out when a guy is doing his entrance.

Thoughts and feelings on the real life 2017 Brutus Beefcake/Hulk Hogan Twitter beef? Looks like this all came from Hogan possibly making moves on Beefcake's current wife and working to alienate Beefcake from Beefcake's daughter. It always such a shame when stuff like this happens. Does Hogan have some for other people's wives? Is that (and racism) his "thing"?

Thoughts and feelings on the real life 2017 Brutus Beefcake/Hulk Hogan Twitter beef? Looks like this all came from Hogan possibly making moves on Beefcake's current wife and working to alienate Beefcake from Beefcake's daughter. It always such a shame when stuff like this happens. Does Hogan have some for other people's wives? Is that (and racism) his "thing"?

Wasn't sure what you were talking about, so made my way over to check it out. Firsty, Hogan really dislikes (or disliked) Brutus' current wife Missy, he explained that on the stand in the Gawker trial, which upset Brutus and his wife. But if they ask you about your current relationship with Brutus, and he said she'd had a bad influence on things and they weren't close anymore, obviously you are going to tell the truth under oath. That seemed to be water under the bridge though, Brutus has spoken well of Hogan recently is always posting old pics with Hulk on his twitter (he did in the last two weeks even). But looks like Hulk hung out with Brutus' ex-wife Barbie, and his daughter Alana (his own God daughter) recently, and then his ex and daughter went after Brutus' current wife, telling her they hung out with Hulk and that Hulk hates her. Apparently Brutus' ex made public that Brutus hasn't seen his oldest daughter in seven years either and he didn't like them bringing that up. So it's really a beef between the two wives. Now Brutus is going to write a tell all book or something. Hulk made a tweet about him tightening the bandana and getting himself a good lawyer, which Brutus messaged a picture of Clarence Mason, which seemed like tongue in cheek responses to each other and kind of funny. Don't know where you got anything about Hogan making moves on Brutus' current wife or alienating him from his daughter, Brutus did that to himself a while ago if the seven years are true. Looks like the twitter battle between the ladies has been going on for quite awhile if you look at their feeds. Maybe his first wife that left after the parasailing accident was the sane one in his life lol.