TravJ1979

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

It just occurred to me, nothing ever in pro wrestling has  been cooler than Eddie Gilbert entering while "Hot Stuff" by Donna Summer is playing. 

I can think of one thing:

Eddie Gilbert being billed as hailing from "Every Woman's Fantasy"

And his tag team partner Sting hailing from "Every Man's Nightmare"

On 9/8/2018 at 12:36 AM, Johnny Sorrow said:

It just occurred to me, nothing ever in pro wrestling has  been cooler than Eddie Gilbert entering while "Hot Stuff" by Donna Summer is playing. 

I was in the grocery store the other day and “Hot Stuff” came on. I felt like I should be doing Gilbert’s strut around the place. 

Vince really did not like Clinton. In a December 93 Raw he claimed that Jack Tunney was a candidate for Secretary of Defense in the Clinton cabinet (I had to rewind to ensure that I did not mishear as that claim sounds so out there). Shawn Michaels, who was doing colour commentary on that show, called bullshit.

Hearing Booker T talk about the roots of his character on Austin's podcast, he basically described his promos & in-ring mannerisms as Shaft meets Bruce Lee. Apparently his favorite things as a kid were blaxploitation and kung-fu flicks, which is pretty damn cool.

It's something I never thought about, but I can totally see that. Makes you wonder what other characters have similarly surprising influences.

6 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Speaking of Clinton, while going through some 1993 Observers, I discovered that Yoshiaki Fujiwara attended the inaugural ball. How on earth did he manage an invite?

Inaugural Balls aren’t super hard to get tickets to. I went to Obama’s second ball, just got a hook up through someone on the campaign 

Looks like Joey Janela might be out for a while, he did a dive from the top to the floor and when he landed his leg bent in a way knees aren't supposed to be able to. His schtick isn't my cup of tea, but I admire the dude's hustle in getting his name out there. Hope he doesn't miss too much time. 

I shared the same views of Janela as Sek69. I can't think of a Janela match I would go out of my way to see, but he isn't a channel changer for me and he always works hard. I have said it a million times and I will say it again. Joey Janela the wrestler is fine to me. Joey Janels the promoter is fucking awesome and I hope THAT aspect of Janela never leaves. He books with a child's heart and it will be interesting to see what happens when his heart 'grows up'. Make no mistake about it, Joey Janela is one of the most influence talents outside of WWE within the last five years. This is a bump in the road...not the end of the road. #SpringBreak3

Yeah, that Janela/Lio feud was awesome.  I think the match that really made me a diehard Janela fan was in PWG vs Guevara.  I’m sure he’ll get signed in the nearish future (complicated by the injury, of course), which sucks as an indie fan, but at least he can just hang out in FL and heal up for a while until he gets released a year or two later and goes back to killing it.

Hope there is a JJSB3 but kind of skeptical since it wasn’t announced when WWN put out their Mania weekend schedule yesterday.

8 hours ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

Hope there is a JJSB3 but kind of skeptical since it wasn’t announced when WWN put out their Mania weekend schedule yesterday.

GCW is doing their own weekend festivities separate from WWN and Wrestlecon and it seems other indies will be joining them including AIW, so I would presume Spring Break will be a part of that.

This seems like the year the Mania weekend indie bubble might burst. GCW, WWN AND Wrestlecon are all running their own groupings of shows Thursday through Saturday that weekend, and they are spread out on opposite ends of the NY/NJ border area as well. Beyond Wrestling was saying on Twittet yesterday that they may not run a show at all this year due to too many cooks and the separate experiences not being painless commutes to each other.

3 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

GCW is doing their own weekend festivities separate from WWN and Wrestlecon and it seems other indies will be joining them including AIW, so I would presume Spring Break will be a part of that.

This seems like the year the Mania weekend indie bubble might burst. GCW, WWN AND Wrestlecon are all running their own groupings of shows Thursday through Saturday that weekend, and they are spread out on opposite ends of the NY/NJ border area as well. Beyond Wrestling was saying on Twittet yesterday that they may not run a show at all this year due to too many cooks and the separate experiences not being painless commutes to each other.

Ah, I had missed that.  Prices are just absurd for WWN shows.  I’m leaning toward just going to Phoenix for Rumble.

I feel like Janela is entertaining, speaks well, bumps like a madman, and has enough personality that there should be some sort of place for him in WWE. But he is small, out of shape, unathletic, and uncoordinated. If they used managers I think he'd be a great manager for them, other than that maybe an announcer or referee.