Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

• Please log in to reply
1900 replies to this topic

#1841 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5743 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:36 PM

Graves is a douche as well, just slightly less of one than Punk.

#1842 iamthedoctor

iamthedoctor
  • Members
  • 1152 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:57 PM

The ring, the rust, the announcing, the crowd, the neck.

If they had held off for a week or two they could had better response at the Georgia Dome.

I dont think they wanted a good response. They probably got exactly what they wanted at the time.

Was their any truth about the rumours about Schavoine coming in around this time? I read something about they were in talks but because he kept constantly calling in asking they changed their mind.

First WWF table break bump - Bret at SSeries95?

Not sure if it's the first, but Harley Race vs Hogan in 1988 predates.

tumblr_inline_ni0kzgiJUl1r5344l.gif

In 1985, Terry Funk took bumps on the ringside table around the loop during his feud with Junkyard Dog.

Hogan slammed Quake thru a table at Summerslam 90. 

Does summerslam count though as Quake missed the table and didnt go through it.

#1843 TonyPulis'Cap

TonyPulis'Cap
  • Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:51 AM

Those in the UK might have caught it on Monday, but there was an excellent 30 min documentary on Viper (who competed as Piper Niven in the MYC last year) that was really excellent. It was shown on BBC 1 which is a channel available to every household and I hope it got a good audience. Following the two Insane Fight Club docs that BBC also showed previously, ICW has been able to get some good publicity, but this was about Viper's personal story rather than any companies and I thought she came across fabulously.

I've been a big fan of hers for a couple of years now - she's usually one of the highlights on an ICW show - and I thought she was in the top 3 or 4 performers in the MYC last year. It tells her story over the last few months, competing in Scotland and then also follows her on a tour of Stardom in Japan. Given her size, I know that there's a temptation to present her in matches as a bully heel but watching a show like this, she is just so damn likable that you can't help but root for her. She seems a lovely person, and came across really well. I hope she might be in the next MYC again, but given I think she's signed up to the new ITV World of Sport project I'm not sure if that will be possible.

Anyway, for those in the UK you can watch it on the iPlayer here: https://www.bbc.co.u...ght-like-a-girl

For those elsewhere in the world I'm sure there are ways you can find it! While talking about Viper, just to show how much you can get behind her, this was a promo that I think is bloody brilliant for the raw emotion she's able to convey and that needs wider viewing    

#1844 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 1045 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, Reading, BJJ, Traveling, Beer, Cooking, Dogs

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:53 AM

Those in the UK might have caught it on Monday, but there was an excellent 30 min documentary on Viper (who competed as Piper Niven in the MYC last year) that was really excellent. It was shown on BBC 1 which is a channel available to every household and I hope it got a good audience. Following the two Insane Fight Club docs that BBC also showed previously, ICW has been able to get some good publicity, but this was about Viper's personal story rather than any companies and I thought she came across fabulously.

I've been a big fan of hers for a couple of years now - she's usually one of the highlights on an ICW show - and I thought she was in the top 3 or 4 performers in the MYC last year. It tells her story over the last few months, competing in Scotland and then also follows her on a tour of Stardom in Japan. Given her size, I know that there's a temptation to present her in matches as a bully heel but watching a show like this, she is just so damn likable that you can't help but root for her. She seems a lovely person, and came across really well. I hope she might be in the next MYC again, but given I think she's signed up to the new ITV World of Sport project I'm not sure if that will be possible.

Anyway, for those in the UK you can watch it on the iPlayer here: https://www.bbc.co.u...ght-like-a-girl

For those elsewhere in the world I'm sure there are ways you can find it! While talking about Viper, just to show how much you can get behind her, this was a promo that I think is bloody brilliant for the raw emotion she's able to convey and that needs wider viewing    

awesome... i want to check this out.

#1845 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 11149 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:06 PM

Big E and the Wendy's account having a friendly exchange about indy wrestling was a nice reminder that not all social media exchanges have to be toxic and/or cringefests. 

#1846 KawadaSmile

KawadaSmile
  • Members
  • 1332 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:47 PM

Not sure if Wendy's should be a positive example when we talk about non-cringeworthy social media engagement.

I mean, corporate profiles behaving like real people and cracking jokes (Wendy's and IHOB's debate about burgers comes to mind) is somewhat disturbing. Netflix does the same, and the Brazilian branch has this ultra-woke approach to twitter that sometimes is ultra embarassing.

#1847 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 1045 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:37 PM

Random Question: what is the best "wrestling themed" episode of a TV show?

The Its Always Sunny episode with Piper pops into my head right off the bat. Obviously Vader on Boy meets world is classic.

#1848 KawadaSmile

KawadaSmile
  • Members
  • 1332 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:55 PM

Woody Woodpecker had an excellent wrestling-themed episode. Just love that asshole bird.

#1849 William Bologna

William Bologna
  • Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:01 PM

The Its Always Sunny episode with Piper pops into my head right off the bat. Obviously Vader on Boy meets world is classic.

I saw that Always Sunny episode three or four times before I realized that the guy Da Maniac is wrestling at the beginning is Don Frye.

#1850 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 8291 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:37 PM

For me that is easy, it's Steven Universe's multiple episode when Steven wrestles as Tiger Millionaire.

The scene where it's a hot day and he buys all the drinks from the concession stand and then spills them to be a heel is fucking awesome.

#1851 gordi

gordi

I call him Shohei because we are close like that

• Members
  • 2122 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:41 PM

Ravishing Ronald w/Bugs Bunny vs The Crusher.

#1852 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 11149 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:47 PM

The episode of Quantum Leap where Sam jumped into a wrestler from the 50s where it was either implied or stated that title matches were shoots. Also had Terry Funk guest starring too. 

#1853 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1671 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:09 PM

Not sure if Wendy's should be a positive example when we talk about non-cringeworthy social media engagement.

I mean, corporate profiles behaving like real people and cracking jokes (Wendy's and IHOB's debate about burgers comes to mind) is somewhat disturbing. Netflix does the same, and the Brazilian branch has this ultra-woke approach to twitter that sometimes is ultra embarassing.

They are really smug for unpaid interns. 

I saw that Always Sunny episode three or four times before I realized that the guy Da Maniac is wrestling at the beginning is Don Frye.

Yep its the Sunny episode. Or the Family Matters where Carl and Urkel fight the Bushwhackers, who start shooting when they find out Carl is a cop. 

#1854 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 3081 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:12 PM

I like the episode of Ren & Stimpy where Mad Dog Hoek and Killer Kadoogan wrestle the Lout Brothers. Stimpy cuts a money promo at the end of the episode.

#1855 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5743 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:50 PM

Herman Munster wrestling.

#1856 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5743 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:54 PM

I like the episode of Ren & Stimpy where Mad Dog Hoek and Killer Kadoogan wrestle the Lout Brothers. Stimpy cuts a money promo at the end of the episode.

Love this episode. If I ever wrestled it would be as Killer Kadoogan.

#1857 PhilTLL

PhilTLL
  • Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:05 PM

https://twitter.com/...027679806144513

Liger throws the first pitch at a Hanshin Tigers game. A match ensues.

#1858 SomethingSavage

SomethingSavage
  • Members
  • 1201 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:05 PM

The first Piper episode of It's Always Sunny was a blast, but I always got a kick out of the Futurama episode where Bender joined the Ultimate Robot Fighting League.

Bender adopting a Gorgeous George gimmick and going by "Gender Bender" was great, but The Foreigner was just the fucking best.

"I'm not from here! I have my own customs! Look at my craaaaaazy passport!"

*nuclear heat ensues*

#1859 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 1045 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:24 PM

I need to seek some of these out.

#1860 PhilTLL

PhilTLL
  • Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:24 PM

Also from the animation division, King of the Hill S01E22 "Bobby Slam". Bobby tries out for wrestling under the mistaken belief it will be like what he sees on television. When he and best friend Connie must face off for the last spot on the team (Khan: "Take old playmate down hard and fast"), they avoid any hurt feelings by having a worked match with chair shots, airplane spins, etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users