Photo

The Destroyer vs. The Spirit (AJPW 7/25/75)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Phil Schneider

Phil Schneider
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 3505 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:01 PM

End of the road Killer Karl Kox might be one of my favorite wrestlers ever. Just a nasty old bastard who will split your eyebrow with a right hand or knee you in the throat. I also loved the early matwork portion too, nothing fancy, nothing tricky but really impactful. These are a pair of old dudes with crazy tendon strength and it was fun to watch them struggle in tests of strength in weird angles. Wrestling matches are full of traditional knuckle lock tests of strength, these guys were struggling from their back or their knees. Then we get the great mask hiding foreign object section. Destroyer is an old master at that and it is fun to see him have to deal with someone using his own tricks on him. It is like a Lawler match with the heel hiding a chain too. Every one of those foreign object shots were extra violent looking, the headbutts were sold like they should be, and the chain assisted punches really thudded. These no bump Kox matches are the best, I could watch him not bump forever.

#2 Microstatistics

Microstatistics
  • Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:31 PM

Lovely match and a really unique one. Cheating, headbutts, punches, blood and more cheating. Great selling and character work. Possible top 5 match for the 70s. ****1/4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users