Pro Wrestling Only

Hell in a Cell 2016

goodhelmet

If it's a Sabu match.

For real though if I think back to things like Sabu tearing his arm open, or Foley going through the cage or less horribly, Punk's elbow on taker not breaking the table they had far more of a physical impact and drama that pulled me in deeper than what happened at the end here. Even the last match when Charlotte dropped her on the ropes and then the tension of the splash mountain spot I thought changed everything about the match. I didn't have to project anything into the moment, it was just there. Didn't feel anything for it this time.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it enhances my rating of it. I almost always care more about what actually happened than about the blueprint for what was supposed to happen. And I think it's to their immense credit as workers that they created and sustained the tone they did, regardless of particular moments.

In general, I tend to be in agreement with that, and I certainly gave them credit above (though it's interesting to me that they accomplished it not through adapting to the mishaps as we've seen in plenty of other situations with other experienced wrestlers but instead by doubling down upon them through commitment to character. I can't think of any other match where that's true. Can you? Usually we're praising for adapting instead of just repeating a spot or some such, not just for powering through mistakes).

I do think someone could separate out the end match table spots with some of the other ones, however, the difference between an act of god/something outside of their control and a series of physical mishaps that were execution issues. I'm not sure if that changes things.

I guess part of my question is this: Does it affect your rating of a match if so much of it is full of obvious happy (horrible) accidents?

I think sometimes it can. One match that isn't that popular in these parts (I think) but I have some fondness for is the Taker/HBK match at Mania 25, and I remember what put it over the top for me at the time was Taker dropping himself onto his head on that botched dive. I didn't even think of it in terms of a botch at the time, all I knew is that I felt the stakes were raised a lot when it happened.

Another example this puts me in mind of is Kurt Angle trying to throw Shane McMahon through those panes of glass in '01. Another match that I think is not so popular here, but I feel it was exactly those spots which really got the match over for most fans.

I have main event at 4 but a definite top 10 WWE match of the year.

Rest of the card was garbage mostly.

Rollins/Owens was one where if you hate current WWE style, it was everything one could hate but if you like this type of stuff, it could be seen as good. I'm in the middle of those camps but wouldn't put it past 3.5 stars.

Gallows and Anderson have more in common with Men on a Mission than New Day in that I can't think of a MoaM match I would want to rewatch and I can't think of a Gallows and Anderson match I want to watch either.

Rusev/Reigns was a solid streetfight that would've worked on any other card in any other position, but the cell was a wholly unnecessary backdrop, the card already featured 2 cell matches too many, and as an opener, methodical brawling isn't quite as good as a kickoff as gimmicky ladder match or cruiser action or fast paced tag match.

On a slightly different note, back in January I said this about the New Day and various fans got upset, what do people feel now?

In years to come fans will look back on those guys like we look back on Men on a Mission.

That's way too far. Currently...I mean they're alright. Their act is getting kind of tired and played out. They've had a rough stretch from the Vaudevillians, to the Wyatts, to the Club. Personally, I'm disappointed WWE isn't going ahead and doing Enzo and Cass vs. New Day. I'd be more into that program than vs. Cesaro and Sheamus, even though the matches would be worse.

Three HiaC match in one card is dumb as fuck. Way to make your gimmick match totally generic, especially without blood.

It does allow comparison though.

Rusev vs Reigns. Plodding, kinda dull. My turn/your turn, lots of Reigns selling, which is sleep inducing (well, so is his offense, but him selling is just the receipe for me not giving a flying fuck). Rusev is good, but his new look is awful. No use of Lana whatsoever while she could be shrieking at ringside and play an active part. Suuuuuch a waste. Didn't feel the hatred. They lost me eventually. Decent match.

Owens vs Rollins. Well, the beginning was much, much better than the previous match. Spotfest ? Nah. Owens is working Rollins injury, badmouthing him, fucking with the crowd. This is very good until Rollins makes a comeback and never sells shit about his so-called injured back. Then they do a choreographed exchange that would only appear in the last five minutes of a G1 match. Then it falls apart. They do a lot of stuff, Jericho (who looks amazingly creepy and glorious) gets in the cage. Clusterfucky and shit. I gave up actually.

Sasha vs Charlotte.Super cool entrances. Ok, I love Charlotte jumping on Sasha while the cell is lowering, but the powerbomb spot was both awkward (Sasha gently jumped in Charlotte's arms) and stupid. Total gimmicky-drama. Terrible idea. Ok, so the match gets on. And these girls manage to school the guys as to how convey violence and whatnot. Charlotte has improved a lot as a heel. "She rested enough!" after that evil monkey flip where Sasha fell on her neck, ah ah, what a complete bitch ! :) Well, okay, they beat the shit out of each other. It feels like it. That bump on the table outside was really awkward though and it did kill the pace for a moment, but they got it back. Terrific selling of the long-term pain and frustration. Yeah, I know Sasha wasn't that consistant to sell the gimmick-drama, but it made for a better match, who wants her crawling for twenty minutes ? Plus it was simply bad booking to begin with. So, let's go on with the match. Yeah, this is getting better and better. Hey, a Raven spot, just for me ! I love you Sasha. Hey, that's how you get out of the figure four/eight ! Charlotte's desperation is really good, yes, she has improved a whole lot. Hey, Sasha crumbled because of her back, no powerbomb on the table. Well, ok, Sasha losing was anticlimatic, but I loved that finish. Charlotte just didn't give a fuck, she throws Sasha on that table randomly in a "will you fucking die already bitch ?" way, twice in a row, Sasha rolling down made for a great visual and the finisher was on point and NO KICK OUT ! COOL ! Ok, again, questionnable booking at best to have Sasha do the job *again*, and in fucking Boston to boot, but this was very obviously the best match of the three (not even close), developed into a great match despite the stupid beginning and a momentary lull, and well yeah, I'd call it a MOTYC without second guessing myself too much. Terrific job by both overall. Mayumi Ozaki and Mima Shimoda would be proud.

I really have to cherry pick what I care about in these WWE cards, because 95% of it I think is worthless, boring and unwatchable, but there is regularly some great stuff in this sea of goo.