Pro Wrestling Only

[1979-06-01-NJPW] Antonio Inoki vs Andre the Giant

GOTNW

The opening is fascinating-Fujinami's leg is injured and Inoki goed to check on him. You could interpret is as Inoki being worried about his dear student, kicking him to test the strength of his leg, seeing he cannot fight Andre as he is and bravely stepping up and challenging Andre. You could also interpret it as him further injuring Fujinami, stealing his apotlight and conning everyone into cheering him by successfully BSing them. Talk about art imitating life. This was worked differently than their 1976 match and played to Andre's strengths more (and I have to say matches like this one are making me appreciate him a lot more). The match starts with Andre just mauling Inoki, using his size abd clubbibg flows to punish him. Inoki goes after Andre's legs because really what else is he gonna do? This match serves as a great example of what Andre could do-he doesn't really need to take a Back Body Drop, a Sunset Flip and a Backslide. Yet they manage to believably work all of them in AND all of them look good and fluid! Andre's acting here was great-I loved his evil laugh when he took Inoki down, as if he'd finally figured out how to stop him, him telling the referee Inoki's leaning onto the ropes in his Back Suplex attempt only to cheapshot Inoki as soon as the ref was out of position, and more than anything the moment where he became frustrated the crowd was cheering for Inoki and left the ring and went into the crowd. Seeing the people flee from a giant was surreal, like something out of a Godzilla film. But Inoki deserves a lot of credit too cause I doubt anyone else could push Andre to all of that and react to him as perfectly as Inoki did. When Andre leaves the ring OF COURSE Inoki is going to start stomping on him and go all out. And when Andre pushes him against the ropes he'll use them for these amazingly athletic counters and kicks that are hard to even properly describe. Andre also did a Bow and Arrow and a Surboard/Romero Special which just shows you how preposterous this match was-but when he did the bow arrow Inoki followed it up with picture perfect selling-his body language conveyed a giant man doing a back focused submission as good as humanly possible. And when Andre overreached with the surfboard Inoki urgently climbed to the top rope knowing how rare of a opportunity he has. Even the non-finish has Hansen coming in and them having a really fun brawl. Great match. ****

• GSR changed the title to [1979-06-01-NJPW] Antonio Inoki vs Andre the Giant