Pro Wrestling Only

Where the Big Boys Play #89 - WCW / New Japan Supershow 93

http://placetobenation.com/where-the-big-boys-play-89-wcw-new-japan-super-show-93/

tS98t19.jpg

After going through a few announcements involving changes to the feed, pilot season, new shows and various guest spots, Chad and Parv are back to look at the third and final iteration of the WCW / New Japan Supershow which took place on January 4th 93, but did not air until March (so no Observer roundup this time).

[0:23:23] Review of WCW / New Japan Supershow 93, including: Ultimo Dragon botchmania, the political career of Ludwig Borga, Ron Simmons post-title run, Mr. Saito at 51, Parv's man-love for Hiroshi Hase, and the question on everyone's lips ... did JR and Tony Schiavone really go out and have sushi during this show?

[1:15:01] End of show awards

Secret link:

Dustin Rhodes/Scott Norton v. Shinya Hashimoto/Masa Saito - **1/2

Dustin felt out of place.

Norton was treating the Japanese team like a couple of young boys with no selling and steamrolling them.

Match never got out of first gear. Norton and his pedestrian offense.

Looked like Norton broke up what was supposed to be the original pin forcing Hashimoto to give Dustin the enzugiri for the finish.

Great Muta vs. Masahiro Chono - ***1/4

Fell a little flat in the dome, but a solid match.

Not as good as the classic G1 '91 match.

If you don't like Chono after you watch:

v. Muto G1 8/11/91

v Hashimoto (Both) G1 1991

v Rude Finals of NWA title Tournament G1 1992

then you will never like Chono. Those are my favorite matches of his.

Yeah, like I'm taking bait on doing Ron fucking Simmons research. Actually, you all pretty much nailed it. He did have the sort of weird heel turn in '94 and the beginnings of a teacher vs. protege feud with Ice Train, and then I think something with the Boss (Man, Is He Big), both of which went nowhere.

Those Keith ratings are classic SKeith: look at who's in the match and then pick your star rating from there. No need to actually watch much less analyze the bout.

Edit: Okay, I don't want to spam the thread, so I'll start tacking on--there's a major reason for the timing issues with this show that Chad suggests, and also is the reason why this show was so heavily downplayed both at the time in retrospect. Initial advertising built this show around one of the money matches on the card of the Steiners vs. the Hell Raisers. But, the WWF pulled a power play and sent a cease & desist, saying that the Steiners were under contract to them and they had all PPV rights. So the match, by all rights the main event from a U.S. standpoint, had to be axed from the show and this 6-man full of (to the U.S. audience) nobodies had to be thrown on in its place.

Those Keith ratings are classic SKeith: look at who's in the match and then pick your star rating from there. No need to actually watch much less analyze the bout.

Edit: Okay, I don't want to spam the thread, so I'll start tacking on--there's a major reason for the timing issues with this show that Chad suggests, and also is the reason why this show was so heavily downplayed both at the time in retrospect. Initial advertising built this show around one of the money matches on the card of the Steiners vs. the Hell Raisers. But, the WWF pulled a power play and sent a cease & desist, saying that the Steiners were under contract to them and they had all PPV rights. So the match, by all rights the main event from a U.S. standpoint, had to be axed from the show and this 6-man full of (to the U.S. audience) nobodies had to be thrown on in its place.

Great show as usual. If I recall, when Meltzer reviewed the actual PPV, he eviscerated Bischoff's commentary for his lack of knowledge and contradiction of attendance figures that JR and Schiavone gave.

I don't make this show a priority because its not time sensitive so am always a bit late to the party, but its always a terrific listen. Insightful and refreshing look back at a lot that I remember vividly -- fondly or otherwise, and the WON recaps are great as this was the period I first started subscribing to the Observer.