Pro Wrestling Only

[2016-10-16-EVOLVE 71] Chris Hero vs Matt Riddle

GOTNW

Better than their first match, mostly due to a superior match structure that played to both of their strengths well. A better crowd here too. Less stupid spots were done-there was a rope running no-sell sequence with Hero doing Big Boots and Riddle hitting knes I could've done without, and a stupid exchange where it wasn't clear whether Riddle was Headbutting Hero's arm or Hero was elbowing Riddle in the head (it looked like the former but was sold as the latter). But beyond that, this was a quality match. Hero's cheeky insults (often followed by a strike sold as a big moment) will only ever go so far in generating actual heat, but carrying control segments is definitely one of his strengths as a worker. Riddle's character of an eternally content stoned caveman makes his absurdist use of bro when he's firing up inexplicaply endearing. There are less transitions here than in their first match, they're done similarly better even in a vacuum-and the structure only makes the gap in quality between the first match and this one bigger. The difference in striking ability between Hero and Riddle is also played up better and more clearly-while Riddle can cause some damage to Hero if he sticks to for too long it opens up chances for Hero to get back in control. While Riddle Gutwrench Suplexing Hero is something that would've been lost in the noise in the previous match it was a big momentum shift here. Him Fisherman Suplexing Hero would've been just a spot after a previous match-here it was a big hope spot because it was after a big Hero punch that you'd expect would bring Hero back into control and make him continue to display his dominance. I liked Riddle's final rush because I have quite the affinity for "cut off no sell attempts" spots and the finish smartly played up the way their previous match ended. I appreciated the intent behind his head stomping in the corner but it only reminded me he isn't as good as Kazunari Murakami. Not a match I'd call great but one where I can definitely see the reasoning for the hype behind it. ***1/4

• GSR changed the title to [2016-10-16-EVOLVE 71] Chris Hero vs Matt Riddle