Pro Wrestling Only

Lucha Underground S3

El-P

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the question for me is, who joins Famous B as his surprise partner? Because there's no way Dario billed this as a "handicap" match just as a pun on Famous B's injury. Dr Wagner has been nowhere in sight for ages so I'm guessing it's not him. Joey Ryan or Son of Madness are possible, though they don't seem to fit quite right. Could be someone new, not sure who though.

Also gotta figure something gets added for the trios titles. With 4 nights this year, there should be time for it to be added somewhere, though it seems strange that it's not been planned farther in advance.

Looks like Fenix-Marty will be the third match this week as they have a Marty promo on Youtube. So that leaves for the next two weeks:

Cage-Mil-Crane

Sexy-Taya

Dragon-Matanza

Pentagon-Havoc

Puma-Mundo

Trios match?

Looks like we may not get a two-hour finale unless the matches they choose are really long.

August 23 episode:

The mask vs. mask match between Sexy Star and Veneno never really happened as Joey Ryan almost immediately interfered and exposed Veneno as Cortez Castro. Looks like Castro's cover is blown. And as much as I hate commentary, I got a laugh out of them mentioning Super Fly and saying "Remember him?"

Prince Puma vs. Pentagon Dark faced off in a pretty good match for the Cueto Cup. Some of the strikes were a bit off but still a rather fun, fast-paced affair. Destroyers galore and Puma ended up winning with the 630. He and Vamp mocked Pentagon with the cero miedo sign and the fans booed this pretty hard. It's still clear that Pentagon is their favorite and they were none too pleased that he fell short yet again.

Rey Mysterio vs. Johnny Mundo was the match of the night. Rather long as it clocked in at nearly 20 minutes, but still very good. Before the match, Johnny and his stupid agent (really dislike this character) warned Dario that if he Johnny loses, he'll jump to another promotion with the belt. While Rey is certainly past his prime, he's still a great high-flier and is very smooth with a lot of his moves. Rey took the advantage early with his speed and aerial maneuvers while Mundo regained control by utilizing his size and strength advantage. Ref bump led to Mundo trying to hit Rey with the belt but Dominick came in and tackled him before being chased off by security. Rey looked to have the match won but Dario interfered and began slapping Rey. Like, I get Dario interfered to protect the title, but trying to bully Rey just looked so stupid. Rey hit a 619 on Dario but the distraction caused Mundo to nail him with the belt and retain with End of the World. Crowd was torn over the finish.

Overall a pretty solid episode. The last two matches were good, especially the main event, but Dario interfering kinda hurt the finish (even if I enjoy a heel needing to cheat to win, which is something WWE never seems to do anymore).

Sometimes, the very first seconds of a match are enough to think this will be underwhelming. Pentagon & Puma getting straight into lame elbows exchange was just that. Kind of a soulless spot-show, it didn't grab my attention very much. We know these guys can do all these moves, but then again what ? That's my big beef with Ricochet, he's not been overly charismatic. Pentagon not playing heel and just going through spots is disappointing.

No problem calling the main event a great match though. Much more slower paced, Mundo actually doing heel work, building up the match with the story of Rey not being up to speed with the younger champion at times. I even liked the 619 teases (I made my peace with the spot at this point, although the final set up bump by Mundo showed again how actually awkward it has to be). I don't mind Cueto's run-in, as it's building to the next big match, and really Cueto is brillant in his role. Took a nice bump too.

(I can't stand the lawyer/agent character too BTW, totally needless, doesn't show much in term of charisma and flat out doesn't interest me at all, that's clearly a miss)

I believe the final week is still supposed to be 2 hours. It does make me wonder if they will go really long with Puma/Mundo, and maybe do some chicanery with the GOTG title too. I'm assuming Pentagon will win it the week before the last episode and possibly get involved with the champion.

One thing I really enjoy about LU's presentation is all those thematic brawls like we used to do in WCW at one point. The Biker's Brawl and the 5-0 Street Fights were two fun exemples of what a different seting can produce, without going all gimmicky (all things remains props for fucking your opponent up, there's no stupid stipulation or contrived rules). The 5-0 made a better use of the setting, Joey Ryan being a master at mixing things up with his sleazy comedy. First ever anal palpation spot anyone ? And before people get all up in arms about "Ryan killing the business one day at a time", like Striker said the previous week (which was quite funny), it was pretty much Ryan putting his hand on Castro's ass, basically… But yeah, all this stuff makes the product seem different and the gimmick matches actually unique (as opposed to yearly boring gimmick PPV's, ya know…).

The stories really go away and come back seemingly with no real purpose at this point, but hey, this last (?) season still builds to a super card at the end, so no big deal. It's all pulp anyway. Catching up on Ultima Lucha Tres very soon !

And speaking of the Five-O brawl, I still laugh every time I think of the "Smell of burnt hair!" line from Striker.

I got a kick out of that too. Then again, as much as I zone out every current US announcer (unless it was Ross on the MYC), I do admit I enjoy Striker & Vamp, simply because they're just having fun. Yes, Striker can be annoying with the smarky stuff and Vamp is full of shit, but whenever they go into funny tangent or simply mark out it's so refreshing compared to the absolute corporate zombie nightmare that is WWE announcing.

The two things I enjoyed the most in the 100th episode : Melissa Santos slapping the fuck out of Marty (who probably told her beforehand to "make it good" because these were stiff slaps) and Rey vs Matanza, which I thought was excellent. Rey's piling them up in LU, this stint is a huge positive in his resume after the latest years of nothing WWE stuff : cool feuds, terrific matches and of course, the fact a veteran like Rey could fit into the bizarro LU universe. I like the fact that despite their propensity to go into "this is awesome" chants way too often, the audience really booed the hell out of Matanza beating up Rey in the post-match (great beatdown too).

Ultima Lucha pt. 2

Battle Royale was extremely short but featured the grand return of Pimpinella Escarlata! Mack won and earned a shot at the Trios titles for next week. The twist: his partners will be Killshot and Dante Fox.

Catrina vs. Ivelisse was heavily edited and therefore ran shorter than I expected. A decent and very bloody brawl.

Marty vs. Fenix was the clear match of the night. For all of his good character work (even if I think it's been over-done at times), I've never thought Marty was a very good wrestler. But man did he deliver the performance of his career while Fenix was great as always. Tons and tons of blood. And I mean tons.

Next week will be the trios match, GOTG ladder match, and Taya vs. Sexy Star. That leaves Matanza vs. Dragon, Cage vs. Crane vs. Mil, and Puma vs. Mundo for the final night.

That mixed-tag involving Melissa was worked as well as it could have been. Excellent post-match angle too, Marty is terrific in his role and in this setting.

I may want to wait until the last (very last maybe, sadly) episode to binge-watch Ultima Lucha, which on paper is a super exciting card (especially after I heard about the Hell of War match, despite not being a fan of either guy, really, although Dante has ridiculous potential).

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the first two episodes. Holy shit, it warmed the vampire fan in me.

Hell of War was one of the craziest match I've ever seen. MOTYC for sure. The only thing I didn't care for was the awkward set-up for Killshot footstomp spots (especially the second one). These (likewise Alberto or Sasha's) needs to go away. Dante as crazy potential, he can sell his ass off on top of his physical abilities, and showed great charisma doing it there. Then again, I guess he had not other choice but to sell...

Ivelisse vs Catrina was all smoke, mirrors and bottles in the head, and for what it was it worked perfectly. Glad to see Ivy get at least her last moment of glory.

And Marty the Moth vs Fenix was another terrific bloodletting and most of all a masterfully booked feud final, with the awesome Melissa involvement, the poetic justice from Mariposa and the great old-school shaving (gotta love that girl in the audience who obviously never saw that before and was both disgusted and marking out at the same time). The best feel-good moment of the promotion.

Ultima Lucha Tres pt. 3

Sexy Star vs. Taya was a pretty solid and violent affair. Not great, but not bad at all.

Reptile Tribe vs. Mack, Killshot, and Dante Fox was a lot of fun. Great chemistry between the new trios team and Dante and Killshot had flips for miles.

GOTG ladder match was a bit disappointing. Too much setting up of the hardware to build to the spots but still had some cool moments.

Only vignette was right as the show ended, and let's just say we got an interesting development in the Puma-Vampiro story.

Agreed about the ladder match. Plus at this point it kinda felt like overkill after the Hell of War, which it couldn't follow in term of crazyness. Good match though, they made an effort to try and win, which is always a big point to me.

The women's match was... interesting, considering what happened in AAA this year. I really grown to like Taya a lot.

Those scars on Dante Fox... ugh... Nice six-tag match, great special outfit by Drago.

That last vignette, yeah. Vamp has basically never been better than in LU to me.