Pro Wrestling Only

[2016-12-02-NOAH] Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Minoru Suzuki

superkix

I really loved their 2/24 match and this felt like the perfect companion piece. It don't know if it was necessarily a superior match, because Nakajima is playing a much different role here, but I think it worked as a closing chapter. Nakajima is no longer the spunky, baby-faced underdog, but at the top of the promotion and full of confidence. The legwork here wasn't quite as central to the story as the 2/24 match but Suzuki's focus was on point and I liked him jumping (literally) at the opportunity to attack the leg. Both guys sold very well and there was a good callback to their previous match when Nakajima high kicks Suzuki in the head, seemingly KO'ing, and he can't even lift him up to finish him off. Suzuki trolling him with that evil grin made the finish extra special, as he gets the one up on Nakajima with a barrage of strikes and a couple of straight punches to the face, but when he calls for troops, nobody answers and he's freaking out. That final elbow exchange was sold so beautifully by Suzuki, as his elbows slowed to the point where he's just tapping Nakajima before Nakajima lays him out. But being the big bad dragon at back of the cave, Suzuki won't be slayed so easily and it takes another high kick and brainbuster combo to put the nail in the coffin. I think I still prefer the 2/24 because they played those roles so perfectly but this is a great bookend match.

Edit: Obviously Takashi Sugiura should be Minoru Suzuki.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, very different from their February match. Suzuki gets in Nakajima's face before the bell, and that he'd put the effort into doing something like that tells you he brought his working shoes that night. There were some issues in the match I could see being polarizing if people cared about NOAH like the legwork and the way Suzuki recovered from the High Kick. Honestly the legwork here wasn't nearly as big of a focus as the armwork was in the February match-it was pretty great while it lasted, the way Suzuki tied Nakajima's leg through the ropes ruled as did his counter to Nakajima's kick he often does as a counter of his own when his opponent is bouncing off the ropes. But that legwork was just another obstacle for Nakajima to overcome here, and the symbolic downfall of Minoru Suzuki in this match is really something special. The desperation in his voice when no one came to help him after the ref bump was great, but even more was the gradual selling of fatigue at the very end of the match. Seeing Suzuki's strikes slowly lose their sharpness and impact was quite the sight. The Misawa tribute spots are often lazy and unnecessary but they never felt as fitting as they did here, especially after the hundreds of elbow exchanges these two had went through. Then you get to the finish itself, and Nakajima is going through all of his big moves but Suzuki just keeps kicking out at one despite the match obviously being lost for him by that point. After Nakajima finally gets a 2.9 count Suzuki fires up one last time before getting a High Kicked for good measure, this is THE type of performance that makes Minoru Suzuki the special performer he is. Nakajima can bring the stiffness and the fire but the wilingness to break so many patterns is what can make a big Minoru Suzuki like this feel so special, him having such a high success rate with the rope run sleeper made Nakajima cutting it off with a quick Superkick that much sweeter. Zero problems with the pacing here-the weird pauses were replaced with extraordinary selling and the crowd bought into Nakajima and the match and responded accordingly. ****

• 1 year later...

Damnit, I didn't realize there was a February match.

GHC Heavyweight Champion Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Minoru Suzuki - NOAH 12/2/16

This was during the period where NOAH was a satellite promotion of New Japan where NJPW sent Suzuki & Suzuki-gun to NOAH and NOAH sent Marufuji and Nakajima for the G1. Nakajima is the champ and this is a One Night Cruise in Korauken Hall. I love Japanese event names.

I had high expectations for this match while I thought this was great, I didn't come away thinking this was a match of the year contender. There were a lot of strike exchanges while it was finally paid off with Suzuki punching himself out and Nakajima going all Misawa on his ass. There were just too many. I enjoyed Suzuki's leg work but I had no illusions that it would be meaningful. I love Nakajima but his bread and butter is his kicks. I always like a good chair shot to the knee though. I thought the transitions in the match were lacking. People were not missing moves rather people were just saying it is my turn now. Nakajima kicks Suzuk a bunch and then sleeper and brainbuster. I liked the use of the sleeper to setup offense. More people should do that. Nakajima kicks Suzuki's head off and it is sold as such. Then Suzuki dropkicks him out of nowhere. Great dropkick but it felt wrong. Suzuki uses the sleeper to try to set up the piledriver, but it didn't work. Nakajima dropkicks now. Then Suzuki shoves the ref into Nakajima. At this point the match goes from solid hard hitting into wrestling and taking it next level with good storytelling. Suzuki punches Nakajima in the face while the ref is discombobulated. He calls for the troops, but no one comes out. Nakajima recovers. Now here comes that strike exchange I referenced earlier with Suzuki punching himself out. Great selling from Suzuki and then Nakajima lights him up like he is the Second Coming of Misawa. Great elbow combinations and then Roaring Elbows. Nice German, finishing combination is kick his head off and then the Brainbuster for the win.

I thought the body of the match was entertaining but didn't really have a hook. Nakajima was not really proving himself to Suzuki. Suzuki worked a body part but there was not much drama. There were a lot of strike exchanges. The finish run is very strong and tells a great story of Nakajima rising to the occasion to defeat a legend of pro wrestling. ****

• GSR changed the title to [2016-12-02-NOAH] Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Minoru Suzuki
  • 3 weeks later...

Nakajima, now the crowned Ace of Pro Wrestling NOAH defends the company, putting his livelihood all on the line against the man terrorizing NOAH for over a year now. More confident in his abilities than the last meeting of the two, riding the success takes it to Suzuki. Neutralizing Suzuki, even preventing him from attacking his leg like last time. Going toe to toe with him. Nakajima and Suzuki beating the hell out of each other with nasty elbow/forearm strikes. Vanquishing 'The King' from NOAH for good. ****