Pro Wrestling Only

[1989-06-14-NWA-Clash of the Champions VII] Terry Funk vs Ricky Steamboat

DMJ

Starting this thread more to ask a question than to review the match, but here goes...

This is Funk's return to an NWA ring after a lengthy absence, essentially challenging number one contender Ricky Steamboat for his spot on the totem pole. At Wrestle War 89', Funk had attacked the newly-crowned World Champion, Ric Flair, which makes the outcome of this match almost ridiculously predictable - and yet, like so many of my favorite Funk matches from the 90s (with shame I'll admit to not having seen most of his work prior to this), he and Steamboat manage to throw in enough odd switch-ups and swerves to have left me puzzled and intrigued as to what would happen next. If the "wrestling" itself isn't out-and-out impressive and technical (compared to the variety of offense he put into his series with Flair, the Dragon is almost a straight brawler here), one can be amazed by how much heat and drama they create just through the clash of styles and character. At times, Steamboat seems out of his game just because Funk bumps in and out of the ring in such weird non-linear routes, the methodical Dragon is like a boxer who can't land his next punch because his opponent's head won't sit still on his shoulders. Funk, meanwhile, lands enough of his wild swings to keep himself in the game and when he does take control, he doesn't settle for just sharp jabs, he's going for broke with neckbreakers and piledrivers. I loved the ref bump that doesn't lead to the finish - again, coming into this match, its impossible not to see a screwy Funk win a mile away, the victory propelling him in the rankings and giving legitimacy to his future title matches against Flair, but when it doesn't happen when it should happen, you begin to question what should be unquestionable. The actual finish is a bit deflating (some color would've helped), but I dug the post-match appearances from both Luger and Sting. Everyone whose on-screen for the last 5 minutes of this show now has some focus coming out of the event - Funk looks even more dastardly and needing a comeuppance from Flair, Steamboat can go after the US Title without it coming off as dropping down a rung, Luger is continuing to cement his heel status, and even Sting gets a touch of subtle character development by not necessarily running off longtime ally Luger, but at least showing his commitment to the babyface side. I gave the whole thing a 3.5/5 rating on my blog.

...but The Observer rewarded it 4-and-a-Quarter stars, which just seems a bit high to me.

I enjoyed this, no doubt, but I usually look at 4-star stuff as matches worthy of revisiting. This, to me, was a match that I enjoyed because I'm watching this string of Clashes and PPVs and even some of the TV shows on the Network in sequence for the first time ever. This was not a rerun for me - though, I do know roughly where things are going and have seen some of the segments/matches before (for example, the "I Quit" match at Clash #9). Even with fresh eyes, though, is there really enough good wrestling action in this segment to warrant a rewatch or make it highly-recommended viewing? I'm not sure.

So, did Meltzer reward the booking of this match and post-match storyline development or was there really enough good action in it between bells for it to warrant such a rating? Did he add stars because Funk comes back with no ring rust and looking like a million bucks? Because Steamboat is effortlessly fire here? What might you rate it?

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't get over the piledriver on the floor. If the table piledriver sidelined Flair for three months, then the floor piledriver definitely shouldn't have been used as a mid-match spot here, especially when Funk was putting away job guys with it during this time week after week, and especially especially when they needed him to be over strong as a challenger going into the Bash. I think they felt like Flair's return seeking revenge was enough to sell the show and saw turning Luger as the bigger priority. The show was a big success, so maybe they were right. I just think had Funk seemed credible by getting wins over some high-level guys -- Sting refused to do a job and Steamboat didn't do one here -- they could have gone even further. But yeah, as far as the match quality, just that floor piledriver takes down something that I otherwise really enjoyed quite a bit.

• GSR changed the title to [1989-06-14-NWA-Clash of the Champions VII] Terry Funk vs Ricky Steamboat
  • 3 months later...

Ricky Steamboat vs Terry Funk - Clash of the Champions VII

I'll never forget the first time I watched this. My date was late and I got a chance to watch this entire match. I just thought it was so cool that while I was waiting that I could just check out a legendary match. What a time to be alive indeed. I didnt get a chance to do a review so here I am revisiting this three years later (Wow how much has changed in three years). 

Very physical match. Steamboat and Funk have a lot of great stand up exchanges and there is almost no wrestling. I have to re-watch some more Funk from around this time but I think he was purposefully doing less chain wrestling to get his heel character over. He was making Steamboat earn his offense by initiating each firefight but everytime he ended up on his ass. He was doing a lot of stooging and bumping to get Steamboat over. They were really laying in their chops. I thought the transitions to the heat segment and the heat segment itself was weak. Thought Funk did that one spot I really like where his opponent is sitting hunched over and he just splashes the back of the shoulders. It looks painful and organic. Someone should crib that spot. Steamboat looks like an asshole on the top rope waiting for Funk did finish drunken walk around the ring. Steamboat carries Funk around the ring before slamming him which is definitely a Funk idea. This crowd is terrible but it is a military base and it must have been hot as blazes in there. Jim Ross looks like he is about to pass out and most of the crowd is shirtless. They went an interesting route. I wonder if this came from Funk's time in Japan or Steamboat's work with Savage, but there is two major nearfalls off piledrivers. That would almost never see in the USA at this point. Nowadays people would be popping like mad for Steamboat kicking out. Both kick outs barely register with the crowd. It is weird because Funk put out Flair with a piledriver and Ross puts it over huge on commentary but you think Steamboat was kicking out of a suplex or a neckbreaker. Steamboat actually mounts a comeback when Funk eats knees. He attacks the abdomen. Funk grabs the mic and bonks Steamboat on the head triggering the DQ. Luger comes down and completes his turn on Steamboat.

The post-match Luger angle is classic and is definitely a must see, but this match is pretty overrated besides some really good chopfests there is not much else going on. It is the Funk show thats for sure, but there is not much heat (probably because there was too much real heat in the gym) and it ends anti-climatically. ***