Pro Wrestling Only

Ric Flair: The most overrated wrestler of all time

stro

I think a lot of people conflate great for popping the crowd these days, which is part of why PWG matches that have absolutely zero structure or story often get so much praise. Or why someone like Will Ospreay is so heavily hyped online. Or Cesaro. Actually, Cesaro might be the prime example. Cesaro does nothing of substance in his matches, a complete and utter spot machine on par with the cruiserweights in 1996 who had to throw everything out that they could in their 4 minute match to get people to remember them. So he pops the crowd with his big spots, but they don't care about him when he's not doing spots, they don't care about his terrible promos, but that doesn't stop the majority of internet fans claiming he's so great and so over.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I semi agree with the troll. There are more super athletic matches today, no doubt. There are more guys today who in wrestling who are great athletes doing crazy athletic mind blowing stuff, I agree with everyone who says that. But I think the troll is right, there are fewer guys who I personally have an invested emotional interest in. There are fewer matches where I personally am emotionally invested. There are fewer angles and feuds I'm emotionally invested in.

• 4 weeks later...

Smarks put too much weight on his in ring capabilities. Flair was able to achieve greatness because he was reliable. And he was a great promoter. Yes now his matches seem to be not so great. But you have to imagine how great he was when he was great. For instance his robe. Now it might not even mean anything, but in 1983 he would be in awe of the whole package. Allot of matches look so sloppy from 2017 eyes. But back then they "believed" even if they still thought it might be a work. I think Flair should be judged on matches that he knew were going to be seen by millions of fans, like the clash shows. The Funk feud was amazing. But again he was doing a job and like most of us know some people don't always give 100%. But when the boss is watching or you need a raise the work improves.

Ok sorry for blabbing on and on.

Same with Hogan in the late 80s. He was rarely in a match on TV. His TV promos were usually a 10/10. Most people considered Hogan #1 and wished to see him and Flair. But in 2017 eyes you see how limited Hogan was. I mean if you followed the WWF from house show to show you could have seen Hogan more. But in my area Hogan came 2 or 3 times at most per year. I would be lucky to see him once.