Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-01-18-CMLL] Negro Casas & Lizmark & Olimpico vs Blue Panther & Bestia Salvaje & Scorpio Jr

soup23

A really boss vignette to open up with Shocker showing Panther the Guapos lifestyle and the salon and him having nothing to do with it.

Well, now we have our third great feud currently within CMLL. This is heated from the get go but reaches another gear when Panther drops Olimpico right on his dome with a hip toss. I can't imagine that was planned but it looked absolutely horrific and did add a wrinkle the rest of the way through with Casas fighting for his buddy. The rudo team was made to look dominant here as dispite Casas best efforts, he falls to them in the second fall. The Guapos team has the charisma and I hope Shocker can bring the goods in the ring to keep this feud hot. ***1/4

The lucha skit was great. By the way I think Blue Panther murdered Olimpico to end the first fall. Holy shit what a devastating way to get someone into an armbar. The remaining match is 3 on 2 and Casas shows great fire. I really liked Lizmark Jr's face in peril segment too. Blue Panther was the rudo stand out.

I think it was a mistake to have Negro Casas not #1 on my GWE ballot.

This was a pretty one-sided slaughter. Whether it was or not, it struck me as a largely improvised match after Olimpico suffered what appeared to be a legit injury off an awful bump hitting the mat when Panther took him to the mat. This ended up as an isolate and destroy match from there, with Lizmark getting his turn next and Casas meeting the same fate, while briefly teasing a miracle comeback, only to flame out. I enjoyed this match but wow, I hope Olimpico was okay after that, because that splat was pretty nasty. ***

• 2 weeks later...

I miss when CMLL would do wacky vingettes like the one with Panther going to the beauty salon. It was pretty funny. Poor Olimpico getting thrown right on his head. I'm guessing he got a stinger and that's why he was out of the match? Again this match was rudo dominated. I want to like these but it's just too much domination. Guapos are no Infernales and it just makes the tecnicos look so weak.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was excellent while it lasted. I could have swore I'd had my fill of Casas vs. Bestia & Scorpio over the years, but it's been a while and I dug watching Casas and Bestia trade blows. Panther was excellent in this, which isn't always the case when he's the lead guy in a rudo team. I wasn't sure how legit Olimpico's injury was considering how long Panther kept him in the armbar, and the fact that the rudos kept getting their licks in while the doc checked on him, but the replay looked pretty nasty. They could have had the tecnicos take the next fall a man down and given us a few more thrills, but as a TV match, it had a lot of workers I like and was more than passable.

That Panther takedown was an all-time badass move. Good lord. Both he and Casas looked great in this while it lasted. This felt a little inconsequential compared to some of the other trios we've watched, but there was no downtime. Again, the CMLL has been relentlessly entertaining.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Thought this was really good for what we got. I've been watching some Bestia in SWS lately and he looked great working opposite a green Ultimo Dragon, but it was a treat seeing him turn loose and slap Casas stupid. The early rudo mugging was pretty awesome on the whole, my favourite part being Scorpio using Olimpico's own jacket to tie his arms up while Panther beat on him. Olimpico taking the wild head first bump off what he probably thought was going to be a hip toss and Panther trying to rip his arm out regardless was badass. For a two fall rudo beatdown I liked this a bunch.

• 2 months later...

The CMLL from 2000 so far is definitely embracing the first fall rudo beatdown format. I’m still so fascinated by Negro Casas, just the way he sells a series of punches from Salvaje, it’s hard to explain, he puts something extra into it. Fun match, although nothing to go out of your way to see unless you’re obsessed with Casas like me, he had some great sequences..

• 3 months later...

Loved the vignette that was shown before the match.Pretty scary moment concerning Olimpico. The replays added more drama to this. The match was interesting. Really loved Negro Casas in this one. I think the match could have lasted longer, but due to the injury it didn't. Again, love to see how great CMLL was in this timeperiod.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-01-18-CMLL] Negro Casas & Lizmark & Olimpico vs Blue Panther & Bestia Salvaje & Scorpio Jr