Photo

Has wrestling gone overboard with the various streaming services?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#121 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5771 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:11 PM

Does anyone have any sense about the economics of a streaming service for a smaller company?  Is it profitable, or even close to break even for the likes of BJW, DG, AJPW, Stardom, etc?  Three of those are admittedly recent so I'm sure they're far from the point where numbers need to be justified, but I'm very curious if there's enough market share for this many subscription services to succeed.  

I bet it varies by promotion. I would be interested to see if say Stardom is getting more money from Japan or the United States for their streaming service.

#122 donsem43

donsem43
  • Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:57 AM

Sendai Girls announced today that it will have a streaming service soon. Shimmer also has said that it's streaming service will be starting in a few weeks. They are going to start with uploading older footage first, (Vols 1 thru 60) then slowly add on from there.

That's really dumb on Shimmers part. They're already 2 years behind on shows. They should really work on getting volumes 80-100 out so you can actually know what's going on with the promotion.

They will probably market it at first as a "Before they were Stars" type deal, as at the moment, more than half of the women on the main roster of the WWE have appeared in Shimmer. Depending on their release schedule, they could be catch up quickly but then the problem would be producing new content. Beside the Mania weekend show that they have done the last six years, Shimmer's taping schedule has traditionally held one taping in the spring (April-June) then a second in the fall (September-October) recording between 4 to 5 'Volumes' per taping. So unless they change that they will run into the problem of having to routinely provide content once they do catch up. 

#123 Dreamboat

Dreamboat
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:54 AM

I bet it varies by promotion. I would be interested to see if say Stardom is getting more money from Japan or the United States for their streaming service.

May be misremembering this, but I think Stardom's English social media guy has said that most of the subscriptions are from westerners. Would make sense, since that's who the service is aimed at to begin with.
WAVE is probably weighted much more more towards Japan; they do money-off deals on tickets for subscribers. Also there's no English support and for a good chunk of time a while back the site wasn't even accessible outside of Japan (don't think they ever gave any explanation for it, either...)

#124 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5771 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:37 AM

I know I've trashed the WAVE service on here before but I don't know how anyone pays for that long term. I think it might be cheaper and easier just to pick up their TV and whatever else Lynch gets.

#125 topropepodcast

topropepodcast
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:37 PM

I know this has very much moved to a catch-all for all news about the smaller streaming services, but there are just to many out there that it's absolutely ridiculous. So many smaller groups out there want their very small whole pie as opposed to joining up and having a smaller piece of a way, way bigger pie. Powerbomb seems to have the right idea, and I have no idea if they're profitable.

#126 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5771 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 02:15 PM

Chikara has started using some more outside talent this year unlike the last couple of years so I'm wondering if they have seen more revenue coming in from their streaming service.

#127 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 8300 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:38 AM

Even Rise has a streaming service for 5 bucks a month. You get all their shows plus the new weekly TV show. Jimmy Jacobs is booking.

First episode was pretty good. Squash match for a tag team. Solid contest to get the monster heel over. Great video/promo getting over the champion and main angle. Promos by the two people in the main event. Then Kimber Lee vs Shotzi Blackheart was pretty good. Lee being an awesome heel and Blackheart getting over as the feisty babyface. Plus Impact helped produce the show, so it looks good too.

I'll give them a month to see if I continue, but if it turns out the way they say (weekly shows, building to main shows with each match meaning something going forward) I may be sticking around,

#128 Edwin

Edwin
  • Members
  • 1111 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:26 PM

Does anyone have a full list of all the streaming services currently available?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users