Pro Wrestling Only

What Happened When with Tony Schiavone

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having problems with the podcast feed. It works through Tune In but in Podcast addict it fux up. Most of the MLW feeds are not updating. Does anyone know what is wrong?

Thanx

They changed their feed host a few weeks back. I saw other people mention that they needed to delete and resubscribe to get it to update.

• 2 weeks later...

Tony doing the pbp for the Coal Miners Glove match from Halloween Havoc 92 is hilarious. Prbably the best moment of the podcast yet.

"Jake is trying to get back to New York !"

Tony is gold. Greatest podcast in the history of our sport. (yeah, I know)

• 4 weeks later...

I don't care about ****** matches, the NXT tag team division, WWE Women having the best matches, English indie wrestling, G1 coming up, Lucha Underground coming back soon. The best thing in pro-wrestling in 2017 is Tony Schiavone's podcast.

Really? I like him alright, but Conrad takes the show in undesirable directions imo. The Uncensored 1995 episode, for example.

I'd love to see what Cornette, Last or a multitude of other podcasters could get out of Tony. Conrad seems such a waste.

Well, you're listening to the wrong podcast if you don't have a fondness for WCW bullshit, because half of the fun of WCW was the bullshit. And I do love how Tony pulls no punches with the WCW bullshit while at the same time brings tons of interesting hindsight about the business at the time. He's also quite fair toward Meltz reporting (unlike office stooges like Pritchard who make it a gimmick of bashing "da dirtsheets") and fair toward the product (and his own biases) in general. And he seems to have the time of his life while not taking himself seriously one bit. I really enjoyed Schiavone a lot before (at his best, I have him above JR) but I really love the guy now.

As far as Uncensored goes, gotta love the "buckethead" Anderson anecdote as well as the fact him and Heenan were actually pushing the "Uncensored" tagline as smart-asses because they knew they were actually being censored on the blood.

Now that he's back in the realm, I would oh so love to see Schiavone do some stuff with KC. Probably would be more of your liking too (more serious stuff) while still being entertaining as all hell.

I'm not the world's biggest Conrad fan, but I'd rather listen to him than Brian Last. Last is a guy who, very quickly, became one of the most pompous, overbearing voices in wrestling podcasting. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but his podcasting persona began grating on me very quickly, particularly after Bix left 6:05.

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting to see Schiavone's take on the first Russo PPV in Mayhem 99. As always, I find Tony very balanced in his views. The last story he tells about how some dipshit online actually threatened his daughter and asked people online to beat her up if they saw her in Toronto at the PPV is quite disgusting. I think the dipshit in question was Chris Hyatte. Don't know why I remember the name of this idiot. Probably because his columns was some of the first stuff I was reading when I got online in 97. Still, quite a fucked-up situation there.

• 2 weeks later...

Heard most of the first part and I'm with Jerome here. Past hanging out with Flair, Conrad comes from a pretty similar place to the rest of us when it comes to knowledge and remembrance. As such he actually ends up asking Tony a bunch of the stuff that we probably would or mentioning certain things that we'd mention. If nothing else, he's got the incredibly detailed notes of someone who recently watched that really long "Best of the Four Horsemen comp" that starts in 85 with everyone disparate and runs through that year's TV. So it ends up as a much deeper dive than you'd expect. You could have forgiven him for starting with the Flair turn, for instance, but they hit a lot of other things instead. You have Tony basically corroborating each thing along the way. Ultimately, if you didn't learn anything new from this, it's because there was nothing new to learn but you did get a lot confirmed by a deeply inside source and Tony's memory for this stuff is very vivid and the emotion he's able to bring back to it is enjoyable. Unless you wanted to get deep into match quality or squashes or run through every available promo or something, so far it's everything you could possibly want from something like this and, to me, a lot more enjoyable than Tony going through a generally disconnected Nitro era PPV. I get that the format's working for them, but they'd do better with themed shows focusing on specific feuds or talents or whatever.

I felt like the second Horsemen episode was disappointing in the sense that the first 40 minutes was nearly all commercials and plugs. It made it a tough listen.

Gotta agree. I dunno what they were thinking with these 40 first minutes. You can feel how Arn & Tully leaving was the end of an era for Tony himself though. I hope they'll get into the later Horsemen in some other episode (gotta hear what Tony thinks about Roma), although they seem to go back to a show per podcast formula, which doesn't bother me at all. Still, Schiavone gave a lot of hinsight to the whole story I felt. And still sounds like the more balanced guy I've heard too. The story about Windham getting him drunk was kinda classic.

• 2 weeks later...