Pro Wrestling Only

People's perception of wrestler's sizes.

Memphis Mark

I get the Hardys and Cody , they are draws for ROH. However can Bubba Dudley work in ROH ? I guess we are going to find out.

Bull James , Alex Reynolds , John Silver and Maxwell Jacob Feinstein were backstage , so I would guess they are being bought in to build the undercard . The ROH fans seem to have some irrational hatred of Bull James . Don't know why ? Because he is overweight ? Those 4 plus John Skyler, Josh Woods and Curt Stallion should really help rebuilt the roster after the losses to Evolve and NXT . Drew Galloway and Mike Bennett are out there in free agent land . I would think Bennett would return , holding out hope for Galloway . Also I wonder if Sonjay Dutt had a one shot deal or is going to return

The company has lost Roderick Strong , Moose , Kyle O'Reilly , Michael Elgin , Kyle O' Reilly , Donovan Dijak , Keith Lee, Jason Kincaid and maybe Bobby Fish , Lio Rush and Adam Cole. I am assuming Ray Rowe and Hanson are sticking around for a while. I ROH has done a good job of filling roster spots and the company hopefully will not miss a beat.

Hopefully ROH will get some mileage of Hardys/ Bucks feud , the Scurll TV Title run and Will Ospreay while the new guys are getting over. Some be an interesting few months.

Lol. It's because he's a NXT reject who doesn't fit in a workrate promotion (or whatever ROH tries to be these days) and clearly got booked just because he was an ex WWE guy they could roll out . That your first thought would be "is it because he's fat?" is hilarious. A company that books the Young Bucks, Kenny Omega, and brings in Okada/Tanahashi fairly regularly. Weird that that audience doesn't give a shit about Bull Dempsey.

Not hilarious . Fans of today hate wrestlers because they are overweight . That is a fact. You have to be a great worker to get past being overweight . I don't watch NXT so I have only seen a picture of James , never seen him work .Unless you are Samoa Joe or Steen , ROH fans boo fat guys out of building. Been that way since the Blue Meanie hit TV screens.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the Hardys and Cody , they are draws for ROH. However can Bubba Dudley work in ROH ? I guess we are going to find out.

Bull James , Alex Reynolds , John Silver and Maxwell Jacob Feinstein were backstage , so I would guess they are being bought in to build the undercard . The ROH fans seem to have some irrational hatred of Bull James . Don't know why ? Because he is overweight ? Those 4 plus John Skyler, Josh Woods and Curt Stallion should really help rebuilt the roster after the losses to Evolve and NXT . Drew Galloway and Mike Bennett are out there in free agent land . I would think Bennett would return , holding out hope for Galloway . Also I wonder if Sonjay Dutt had a one shot deal or is going to return

The company has lost Roderick Strong , Moose , Kyle O'Reilly , Michael Elgin , Kyle O' Reilly , Donovan Dijak , Keith Lee, Jason Kincaid and maybe Bobby Fish , Lio Rush and Adam Cole. I am assuming Ray Rowe and Hanson are sticking around for a while. I ROH has done a good job of filling roster spots and the company hopefully will not miss a beat.

Hopefully ROH will get some mileage of Hardys/ Bucks feud , the Scurll TV Title run and Will Ospreay while the new guys are getting over. Some be an interesting few months.

Lol. It's because he's a NXT reject who doesn't fit in a workrate promotion (or whatever ROH tries to be these days) and clearly got booked just because he was an ex WWE guy they could roll out . That your first thought would be "is it because he's fat?" is hilarious. A company that books the Young Bucks, Kenny Omega, and brings in Okada/Tanahashi fairly regularly. Weird that that audience doesn't give a shit about Bull Dempsey.

Not hilarious . Fans of today hate wrestlers because they are overweight . That is a fact. You have to be a great worker to get past being overweight . I don't watch NXT so I have only seen a picture of James , never seen him work .Unless you are Samoa Joe or Steen , ROH fans boo fat guys out of building. Been that way since the Blue Meanie hit TV screens.

Fans of today hate wrestlers who suck. If they're overweight and suck, and you think people hate them because they're overweight, you're projecting. People discussing the physical appearances of wrestlers is not the same thing as hating them for being overweight. This started with you not even knowing anything about Bull beyond seeing a picture of him, and you projected that ROH fans must not like him because he's overweight. If you had known anything about him, you'd know why the ROH crowds don't give a shit about him (he sucks and is out of place).

Then you double down on "fans hate overweight guys" to bolster your original argument that was baseless speculation to begin with. Shit don't make no sense.

You're right, indies didn't start promoting "hoss divisions" or anything. Keith Lee isn't one of the most buzzworthy guys on the indies right now. Willie Mack doesn't have a large circle of fans. Fuck off with that shitty, uninformed opinion.

And it isn't a matter of "ROH fans". The ROH fans that went to the RexPlex are not the same ones going today. Even the Chicago Ridge crowd has completely evolved, and they've been in that same building for 13 years. I would love to know where you came up with that theory.

I'm not sure fans of today do hate overweight wrestlers - I think if there is a big guy who can do some athletic spots then it really gets over with the crowd. I actually think it's the muscled/chiselled look that gets more hate, as a lot of fans seem to have an inbuilt prejudice against guys with that look and that they can't 'work' because they still associate it with Vince McMahon and having looks but no talent. It's sort of a hold over from the 2005-08 period where all WWE callups from OVW were jacked and looked identical, but very few were any good. In fact, if you look at WWE/NXT TV it's far more diverse now in terms of peoples body types etc that it's been in ages. It seems to me that if a guy comes out looking like a Chris Masters today, people instantly seem to think they are going to be terrible.

I think you have to look at the fans hating on an overweight wrestler like you do your favorite sports team. Think about the fanbases whipping boy on the team and all the hypocritical things that player gets bashed for that beloved players get forgiven for. So if the fans hate you then being fat is just another thing you can bash them for. They don't really care ultimately but hey gotta find as much as possible to complain about.

I'm not sure fans of today do hate overweight wrestlers - I think if there is a big guy who can do some athletic spots then it really gets over with the crowd. I actually think it's the muscled/chiselled look that gets more hate, as a lot of fans seem to have an inbuilt prejudice against guys with that look and that they can't 'work' because they still associate it with Vince McMahon and having looks but no talent. It's sort of a hold over from the 2005-08 period where all WWE callups from OVW were jacked and looked identical, but very few were any good. In fact, if you look at WWE/NXT TV it's far more diverse now in terms of peoples body types etc that it's been in ages. It seems to me that if a guy comes out looking like a Chris Masters today, people instantly seem to think they are going to be terrible.

First, what does overweight mean? How do we know what a person's optimal weight is?

Second, people deemed "overweight" get shitted on everywhere. Did you see the reaction to Hero's signing? Jokes about wearing full body suits, etc..

Fat shaming is huge everywhere, including in wrestling.

Honest question, should Chris Hero's weight be off limits? He was fired for his weight previously.

He's gained 50 pounds and was rehired. Obviously his weight is not an issue for the WWE.

I don't usually agree with much of what stro posts, but in this case...he's not wrong.

What did I saw that was incorrect?

Your righteous indignation regarding this issue is well documented...and a little tiresome.

Ok...

I'm sorry, but if someone is saying something ridiculous I am going to point out it's ridiculous. If it's tiresome to you, just ignore the topic and move on. Obviously you don't want to discuss it, so don't post about it and everybody will move on.

I think we can all be sure Bull James' lack of abs is not the reason ROH fans are not receptive to him. We can also all be sure that Chris Hero has been one of the most popular guys on the indies regardless of his weight gain, and while people might make jokes about it, they also buy tickets to see him and pop when he elbows dudes in the face.

If anything, these days being a scrawny dude will get you more guff online than being overweight or muscle bound.

I think we can all be sure Bull James' lack of abs is not the reason ROH fans are not receptive to him. We can also all be sure that Chris Hero has been one of the most popular guys on the indies regardless of his weight gain, and while people might make jokes about it, they also buy tickets to see him and pop when he elbows dudes in the face.

If anything, these days being a scrawny dude will get you more guff online than being overweight or muscle bound.

First part for sure. The jokes are really stupid, and only cause unnecessary harm, but yeah.

I would argue the scrawny dude shouldn't get grief either. Also, I don't know if that is true.

I'm not saying anything about should or shouldn't. People are going to get judged on their appearances no matter what, Grimmas, and especially in a profession where people stand in their underwear in front of audiences. That's going to happen forever no matter how much you'd like it to not happen.

Zack Sabre Jr. got way more guff about his body than Chris Hero in the last year.

I'm not saying anything about should or shouldn't. People are going to get judged on their appearances no matter what, Grimmas, and especially in a profession where people stand in their underwear in front of audiences. That's going to happen forever no matter how much you'd like it to not happen.

Zack Sabre Jr. got way more guff about his body than Chris Hero in the last year.

Yeah and I will call people out on it every time. Its bullshit.

I haven't heard anything about ZSJ but those comments would be wrong too.

Cheeseburger is the scrawniest dude in wrestling history and is amazingly over, and I've yet to see someone complain about that.

ZSJ just need to work on his arms a lil' bite more, IMO. He's built like Giant Baba from Virtual Pro Wrestling 2, almost.

People rip Cheeseburger all the time for being too thin.

He is also a lower card guy though.

He's also an outright comedy guy whose tiny frame is like...the main point of the comedy. Grimmas, you can have your one man battle, but confronting people every time they say something that you think might be offensive to someone somewhere is just going to make people push harder against you and that.