Pro Wrestling Only

[1989-05-21-UWF] Bob Backlund vs Masakatsu Funaki

Jetlag

Man, I forget what a great fight this was. Crazy UWF grappler Backlund was so cool to watch. Easily the best stuff he ever did. Basically Backlund irritates Cool Guy Funaki a bunch so Funaki tries to beat him to a pulp, including knife edge chopping him in the face. Supposedly the UWF people didn't like Backlund's pro style spots (altough Funaki starts working more pro stylish himself), and it almost felt like Backlund was being intentionally goofy to piss Funaki off. He even seemed to be smirking for a few moments. The best part is that Funaki can't seem to crack Backlund. I loved how Backlund would take a beating, but seemingly toy around and then fuck Funaki up with a single blow. Also dug how easily he threw Funaki off and reversed his holds. The non-finish is a bummer, but I can't really imagine a proper finish for a match this bizarre.

• 4 months later...

Backlund's such a goober -- such a pro-wrestling caricature. The way he sells Funaki’s kicks, whoa-ing and scuttling around. He’ll fling Funaki off with this “gee, what’d I get myself into here?” expression on his face, only for Funaki to continue pelting him with kicks. His takedowns are erratic and somewhat impulsive, the strike exchanges are chaotic between the wild misses and hard wallops. No-nonsense Funaki is especially vicious with his feet, stomping his way out of holds and high kicking Backlund in the head. Pissed off Funaki is so much fun.

• 11 months later...

Bob Backlund vs Masakatsu Funaki - UWF 5/21/89

Total clusterfuck in the most entertaining way possible. Bob Backlund is so Bob Backlund in this. You can tell Funaki has no clue what to do with him. Some great takedowns here from both men. Backlund is so good on the mat. Really deep Scorpion Deathlock at one point. Funaki just blasts him with kicks to the face. At one point I was just like fuck you asshole. Backlund is trying to wrestle fucking wrestle you asshole. I thought it was borderline unprofessional. They just started wrecking each other. Funaki's strikes were brutal. Backlund popped him good with a forearm. Backlund got a good gut wrench. Anytime you thought Backlund was out of it, Backlund would bust out something. The finish was so fitting for such a weird match Funaki hits a middle rope dropkick is DQ'd.

Weird, uncooperative train wreck in a good way. Terrible finish. Stiffness was fun and it was just so odd. Hard to rate I recommend watching it because there are few matches like it. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1989-05-21-UWF] Bob Backlund vs Masakatsu Funaki