Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-03-31-JAPW] Low Ki vs Little Dixie vs Chino Martinez (Elimination)

Loss

Low Ki is doing a completely different gimmick in his intro. Not sure what that's about. This has some good athletic spots and even some clever comedy, but it falls prey to all the same things to which three-ways typically succumb as far as having an odd man out. Good juniors action, but nothing you haven't seen before.

I thought this was fine but never really got into good territory. I am unsure was Ki is going for here but it didn't land for me. Dixie also is starting to find a gimmick that really works for him as a slimey little guy in 2001 but it isn't evolved here. Chino is someone I have never heard of before and he didn't leave a lasting impression here. Ki had a great Jan and Feb but March showed the road bumps that any young career encounters. **1/2

• 1 month later...

Low Ki in a comedy type match is new. This never really got going as the ref was awful and out of position a lot. Dixie doing a southern gimmick and being a babyface in Jersey is weird. Never seen Chino before but he's another one of those guys using NSYNC music in 2000. Low Ki is like Danielson and AJ in 2000. Awkward but has potential.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is an interesting match, but isn't very good at all. All three guys are using gimmicks that don't work. Dixie is a southerner from New Jersey with pink hair. Low Ki is doing a goofier precursor of his gangsta Ki gimmick that is pulled off much better in '04-'06. Chino Martinez is apparently just a dude that likes N'Sync.

The most notable thing from this match for me is that you get to see Low Ki use a wedgie as offense. It's interesting to see Low Ki appear to have fun here as he is a guy that always seems to take himself too seriously.

The referee is just a goof and does a horrible job in here. The shit eating grin on his face is priceless as he walks up to the valet that is distracting him on the apron.

A bad match, but worth a watch to just see this bizarre point in Low Ki's career.

• 2 months later...

Little Dixie is out first accompanied by his valet, Daisy, followed by Low Ki who’s dressed completely different to how we’ve seen him so far this year. The opening to this is all very choreographed, and the third man is often literally just standing around waiting for the other two to do their stuff before he gets back involved. Ki leaps off the back of Dixie (a la the Hardyz) with a flying clothesline to Martinez in the corner, Dixie makes the cover but Ki breaks it up. Why Ki why? He was doing the same in the three way with Reil and Sabu from April and it’s senseless. Wedgie by Ki on Dixie and more standing around by the odd man out. A dropkick sends Ki tumbling out of the ring and Dixie with a pescado out onto him. Martinez with a double low blow followed by a double DDT. The referee just about avoids getting in the way of a reversed Irish whip, and a combination powerbomb/clothesline off the top (that wasn’t smoothly set up) surprisingly results in Ki being the first man eliminated. Dixie slaps on a side headlock and this goon of an official is preening his hair! Snap suplex, big splash off the top, but Dixie gets off his opponent at two wanting to dish out more punishment. Martinez blocks the piledriver and counters with an ‘Emerald Frosien’. He makes the cover, however the official has clearly never seen a woman before in his life as he goes over to Daisy (who is now up on the apron) with this ridiculous grin on his face. Low Ki is back, ‘Ki Krusher’ on Martinez and he puts Dixie on top for the win. After shaking his hand, he then gives Dixie a ‘Ki Krusher’ for good measure too.

Bad match, and a million miles from the three way I watched between Tajiri, Guido and Crazy earlier in the day. I mentioned this referee when I was writing up the April JAPW matches, but he was even worse here. Just tie your fucking hair back!!! And that look when Daisy got up on the apron? Dear me! A few ‘comedy’ spots in this, but I saw nothing from Dixie or Martinez that would make me want to search out more of their work. Worth watching if you want to see something different out of Low Ki (plus it only goes six minutes anyway) but that’s it. Glad we’ve seen plenty more of him in other environments though as I’d put him just a notch above Punk at this point if this was all we had to go on (and that’s not good).

• 4 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2000-03-31-JAPW] Low Ki vs Little Dixie vs Chino Martinez (Elimination)