Pro Wrestling Only

Mauro and JBL

sek69

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave on Twitter just now: "ESPN gets chance after chance to show balls but this will be another time they're showing castration tendencies."

I just saw that and loved it. He's absolutely right. They should be ashamed of their relationship with WWE.

Dave on Twitter just now: "ESPN gets chance after chance to show balls but this will be another time they're showing castration tendencies."

I just saw that and loved it. He's absolutely right. They should be ashamed of their relationship with WWE.

Oh come on this is a network that has talking heads justify the assault of women from NFL players. We are really expecting them to address bullying from a company that is a small piece of their collective pie

Oh come on this is a network that has talking heads justify the assault of women from NFL players. We are really expecting them to address bullying from a company that is a small piece of their collective pie

They have a messy relationship with the NFL, no doubt. But they also employ a number of reporters who cover pro football thoughtfully and critically. So far, their relationship with WWE has felt almost entirely promotional, and yet they present their "coverage" side by side with legitimate journalism on other subjects. Yes, they should hold themselves to a higher standard.

This has to be the end of Be a STAR, right? Any organization that treats WWE as a credible anti-bullying partner will be torn to shreds.

BA* didn't end with Hugh Morrus, it didn't end with stuff various women have said after leaving, it's not going to end because of JBL being JBL.

It pisses off folks like us to no end, but the harsh truth is no one outside of hardcore fans gives two shits what WWE does. Outside of occasional dog and pony shows like TV talking head shows or meaningless congressional testimony, WWE could murder puppies at every board meeting and the outside world would respond with a collective shrug.

This same company just ran a glowing tribute to a guy who was on trial for murder right before he died and that blew over immediately. You might remember about a decade ago when one of their biggest stars was involved in a double homicide/suicide. That whole thing blew over pretty quickly. Or how about 18 years ago when a talent died live on the show and the show continued like nothing happened. That also blew over pretty quickly.

JBL being a bully will not matter at all except to the people he's bullied.

So I covered some of this on Deadspin including John Morrison blowing up the JBL tweet with a quickness: http://deadspin.com/ex-wweer-on-announcer-jbls-bullying-this-stuff-is-enc-1794126676

I actually had the draft written before he tweeted it so it was amusing when I saw it.

Glad you got this out on bigger site. This Matt Hardy story shows a similar pattern of JBL approaching younger guys in the company and getting them to do his dirty work.

It might be sad but anyone that finds it surprising is extremely naive. Cornette is from the generation that remembers people like a Mr Fuji and Dynamite Kid who probably would not only mentally tortured a guy with depression issues but beat the fuck out of him as well because it would pop the boys. Back in his day people with symptons similiar to bi-polar, autism, or depression were considered special needs losers and rejects of society. Chances if a guy like Mauro was hanging around a Memphis or SMW locker room that half of his life would be a living hell.

I apologize if I sound like a jerk in this thread but even though we live in 2017, the wrestling business is mostly run by guys who either thinks it is 1987 or wishes it was 1987 because of "those damn millennials" and their feelings.

Why won't ESPN 'go after' WWE? The conspiracy theorist in me has...well...a theory! In November 2016, ESPN lost over 600,000 subscribers, in what turned out to be one of its worst month ever. People are cutting the cord and leaving ESPN behind. ESPN is what ours dads watch. Not us, we are watching things that are a bit cooler and less corporate. ESPN and WWE were both in a position where they 'needed' each other. WWE so it can get that mainstream appeal and fanfare the company has always wanted, while ESPN hopefully gets new fans and money coming in. Its win-win. However, Vince McMahon isn't stupid and most likely had ESPN sign some sort of North Korea like deal that essentially states that ESPN and WWE must work hand-in-hand in all products delivered. What does this mean? No hit pieces.

Both companies need this and if shit ever goes south with Smackdown or Raw with USA--ESPN is right there. Not only are the companies engaged in mutual back scratching, but I also believe ESPN is testing the waters for new relationship and essentially using WWE as a prototype for these new relationships. ESPN, more now than ever, will become a vehicle for fluff pieces for the sport du jour and transition into the MTV of the sports world where there is less focus on what is assumed to be the bread and butter (sports) and more focused on sports-entertainment. What does that mean? That means ESPN showing The Wrestler (BOTH OF THEM~!), Thunderbox, MXC, having a morning kids 'Power Hour' by showing WMAC Masters and American Gladiators, etc. A special "Behind The Music" with sports stars like Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant, Roy Jones Jr. discussing ONLY the music, albums, tours, etc.

Another big crictism with ESPN over the year is that is has become ES(JW)PN with a nice liberal slant. Being in bed with pro wrestling will definitely begin to wipe that away in some respects. When there is this much ass kissing and no one is getting a blow job---someone is getting paid. Give it 5 years.

I apologize if I sound like a jerk in this thread but even though we live in 2017, the wrestling business is mostly run by guys who either thinks it is 1987 or wishes it was 1987 because of "those damn millennials" and their feelings.

You don't sound like a jerk. To me it sounds pretty much true, especially for the WWE.

Hell, each year, WWE is doing the most hypocritical, tear-jearking PR bullshit of all with this Warrior Award. Warrior Award ? Do people even care about Warrior's declarations on gay people and shit over the years anymore ? Guess not. In any other legit business, this wouldn't fly for two seconds I'd hope.

There's no conspiracy. WWE pays ESPN for their coverage. Of course ESPN isn't going to go deep on what is essentially one of their sponsors.

I don't think that's quite right, because they've "gone deep" on leagues that are much more important to their business than WWE. I think it's more what hammerva suggested which is that they don't take wrestling seriously enough to bother maintaining journalistic standards with it. And their best writers and reporters also aren't pushing to cover it.