Pro Wrestling Only

[2017-04-28-Lucha Memes] Zack Sabre Jr vs Negro Navarro

GOTNW

I rolled my eyes when this point was mentioned in a certain match review years ago, but I'll steal it here-to me, this really felt like a real pro wrestler taking on a phony. Negro Navarro is a lucha maestro-he's changed with the times and has constantly updated his offence, but the way he'd done it and performed has stayed true to that lineage and tradition. Zack Sabre Jr. is a total hybrid. You can see he is someone fascinated with pro wrestling and wants to rip everything he likes and create this all encompassing stlyle and whatnot, but as a result his matches don't really have a specific flair, particularly outside of a context that is "indy wrestler having matches indy crowds think are great". And Sabre looking "bad" isn't something I came in expecting to think, since I've always liked him as a worker, but him working against Negro Navarro in this environment really hammered that at me over and over again. Some of it was a 60 year old man looking like he was in much better shape than Sabre. Some of it were Sabre's ridiculous facial expressions and silly vocal selling that I don't pay heed to much when he usually wrestles, which suddenly started really standing out when Navarro was just selling like people usually do in these types of matches. And some of it was that Sabre would hit Navarro with weak European Uppercuts to the chest while the fantastic impact of Navarro's chops and chest slaps made them essentially look like he was shooting a laser at Sabre. For what it was, this was very well done-I'm not sure a one off attraction match could reach the heights of a title match, but if it could this isn't one I could point to. A very fun exhibition of holds I'd recommend everyone who likes the style to seek out, but not something that's going to leave a lasting impression on me. ***1/2

This was a good and fun exhibition match.

ZSJ was completely outclassed by Navarro - who also was in better shape - and I think that kinda played a part in the final portion of the match, where Zack started getting impatient that he was being schooled by a much older guy and just couldn't keep up with him in any field.

When Navarro busted out a fucking crazy looking submission, it felt not only that he wanted to end stuff right there, but also teach a lesson to Saber and put him in his place.

*** 1/2

I watched the handheld right after the show and thought it was a fun little match. The company recording adds a good bit to it. Things actually look a little tighter (which isn't always the case once you get closer). Its a fun little grappling showcase. I thought Sabre's offense meshed with grappling Navarro was doing. The counters and escapes between the two were a little disconnected at times, but oh well. I give it an extra notch for being sort of a "who the fuck thought this would happen" match. ***3/4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It is interesting that people are saying Negro Navarro outclassed Zack here. If anything it was that Navarro proved his style was superior. Zack did pretty well here all things considered; he never looked lost, and knew to contrast Navarro's flashier bits with some flashiness of his own, and occasionally cranking his holds in as needed. It's not his fault that he wrestles much like a dweeb, after all he's been told for years that his dweeby faux WoS shit is awesome and he's the next Johnny Saint or whatever. Too bad we have none of Steve Wright's matches from mexico to compare. Navarro is not as fast and vicious as he used to be and I felt he pretty much worked this match like any other short exhibition match against slightly dweeby indy guy. Still a fun showcase.

• 2 months later...

I watched this the other day and enjoyed it. It's a fun clash of styles, and stands out because of that. For matches like this, or the more bizarre WAR 90s matches, I always wonder how the booking and planning happens, which is maybe more interesting than the end results. Navarro is of course lots of fun, and ZSJ has made big strides over the last 2-3 years even though it feels like he'll never get to where I feel his potential is. Fun stuff. ***1/4

• GSR changed the title to [2017-04-28-Lucha Memes] Zack Sabre Jr vs Negro Navarro
  • 2 years later...

I'm the outlier here because I thought this was excellent. Great sense of struggle from beginning to end. This had no trading of holds for the sake of it that a match like this can sometimes get a pass on. Both guys were fighting for every transition and trying to end each other. So many beautiful but nasty exchanges. This was a rare match where I almost wanted a draw because of how much I loved the way the two matched up.