Pro Wrestling Only

PTBN GWWE

soup23

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about her. I was like do I put her on when I have seen only three matches of hers or Matt Borne who I have only seen three matches. Doink won out. She does have a great front kick.

I am in confident in my top 13. Everything else is a clusterfuck.

You made me want to go watch that Michaels vs Orton match. I hold that against you.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking about her. I was like do I put her on when I have seen only three matches of hers or Matt Borne who I have only seen three matches. Doink won out. She does have a great front kick.

I am in confident in my top 13. Everything else is a clusterfuck.

Yeah, I'd say I'm comfortable with my Top 8 or so. After that, everything's a little iffy.

• 3 weeks later...

Got mine in last night. The more I think about it the more I would have suggested to split it in half. 1963-2001 and then 2002-Present. It just so happens that the name change happens in 2002. But the fact WWE becomes a monopoly in 2001 and then becomes more of a bureaucratic corporation all line up with that. The biggest issue I have is people like Owen Hart who really only have 4 strong years vs The Miz who has been here there a decade. The only people who develop really long tenure tend to debut after 2002. There are exceptions like Bret, Shawn and Hogan. But the WWE is such a different beast after 2002 once the monopoly is fully realized. Not only that it would have made everything much more a manageable.

I had the opposite problem that everyone else has. After 60, I was like ummmmmmmmmm who should I include. I needed warm bodies. I feel like whenever I do these I lists that I hate wrestling because I don't have problems leaving people off my list it is justifying them getting on. It is like this dude has a wicked glaring flaw and I just cant overlook it.

Positive: I watched a lot of good wrestling and found out weird stuff like that John Morrison was really damn good in 2009. I had no fucking clue. Dude hits hard and works hard.

My friends are playing chess and I'm bored.

In celebration of the end, my top twenty in alphabetical order:

Andre The Giant

Bob Backlund

Bret "Hitman" Hart

Brock Lesnar

Bruno Sammartino

Chris Benoit

Chris Jericho

CM Punk

Greg "The Hammer" Valentine

Hulk Hogan

John Cena

Mick Foley

Randy "Macho Man" Savage

Rey Mysterio

Ricky "The Dragon"Steamboat

Sgt. Slaughter

Shawn Michaels

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin

Tito Santana

The Undertaker

Who did I miss? Who should I have not included? :P

Top 20 in alpha order:

Bob Backlund

Bret Hart

Brock Lesnar

Bruno Sammartino

Chris Jericho

CM Punk

Daniel Bryan

Eddie Guerrero

Greg Valentine

Hulk Hogan

Jake Roberts

John Cena

Randy Savage

Rey Mysterio

Roddy Piper

Sgt. Slaughter

Shawn Michaels

Steve Austin

The Rock

Tito Santana

Steamboat & Taker are in my top 25.

I had Bryan higher than Reigns (bc of course I did), but I full believe when the dust settles, Reigns will be a top 5 guy. For me it was a matter of no one having higher highs than Bryan (in my book) and Reigns having some herky-jerky parts of his career that really weren't his fault.

I also wound up with Steamboat pretty high on the quality of his short-ish run. I think his moments and in ring factors were really high for having limited time in the company.

I do wish I had drafted my list earlier (life!? what are you going to do?) because I did wind up leaving off 2-3 guys that probably would have made the back half of my list.

It was a fun project. I wound up watching some old stuff and dug a little into some blind spots. Not enough really, but is it ever enough?

@Dylan, MOTY's (or runner-ups) in 85, 86 and 87 for the promotion (w/Tito vs Dream Team, vs Roberts Boston 8/9/86, vs Savage Toronto or Mania III take your pick). High level feuds throughout his run: Muraco, Jake The Snake, Savage, Honky & Rude, zero downtime booking wise. Very over throughout this period, big pops. Consistently one of the top workers in the company. He brought the sprint-y Mid-Atlantic style to the usually plodding, heavyweight Northern style. Had at least good matches with a variety of people.

Ultimately, I think what cracks the Top 20 is the hagiography surrounding WrestleMania III. It influenced countless number of wrestlers and wrestling fans in what "good" wrestling is. It is not just Savage's pre-planning, it is Steamboat's execution and a lot of classic Steamboat spots. It is the break neck pace, it is the selling of Steamboat and the rapid fire nearfalls at the end. It is all a portent of things to come that really was never used in a Northern promotion. We all know of the Backlund classics and Slaughter/Sheik, but for the WWF/E and for most of their fans great wrestling begins with Savage/Steamboat. It was the first match to be canonized. I want to strongly emphasize that it is not just the layout but it is Steamboat's execution. Tito Santana would not have had that same match. Tito Santana was a blood feud worker with lots of punches. This was a match that was unique to Steamboat's strengths.

Over the course of three years, Steamboat was a consistent and over presence as a babyface in the upper midcard, strong blood feuds with big angles (Muraco hanging, DDT on the concrete and the larynx crushing), good to great matches with a variety of opponents, brought a totally different style to the WWF and an influence on subsequent generations of wrestlers and wrestling fans that is still felt to this day. His biggest negative is a short tenure and he kinda goes out with a whimper and this is why he finished at #18.

In regards to Reigns, the Shield run is awesome and he's obviously had a ton of great matches. But other than that, I don't think he's really had a lot memorable moments or storylines. Even if you take away fan response, a lot of his singles feuds were poorly booked and didn't have too many standout moments that made me go "Wow! That was amazing!". Not to mention he's never been a great babyface or promo. His work in singles and tags definitely are pluses, but other than that I can't really think of any reason I would put him in the top 20-30.