Pro Wrestling Only

[2017-06-03-NJPW-Best of the Super Juniors Finals] KUSHIDA vs Will Ospreay

ShittyLittleBoots

The weakest BOSJ finals match in years - this just did not come anywhere close to the greatness of KUSHIDA/Ricochet, KUSHIDA/O'Reilly & Ospreay/Taguchi. It was still really good though - thought that KUSHIDA was really brilliant in the match - what prevents the match from being in that classic status though is Will Ospreay. His selling disappointed me greatly. He pretty much no sold KUSHIDA's leg & arm work - that basically made the whole first half of the match pointless. Thankfully in the 2nd half they went into the bomb mode as they started to bust out all the big moves you would expect from them - my favorite of them being KUSHIDA stomping Ospreay's head in. Wonderful stuff. With a better 1st half, this could've been a legit MOTYC, but with it being what it was, it was "just" very good. I definitely ain't complaining about that, but it had potential to be much more. It had all the potential in the world to be even greater than those other recent year BOSJ finals that I mentioned, but it is what it is. ***1/2

I thought this was the best Will Ospreay match I've seen. Take that for what you will. It had a plenty of the things I dislike about Ospreayr -- the obnoxious scream selling, the ridiculous two count bewilderments, lots of thigh slaps, and the forced high spot set-ups, but he worked with more hostility and it was the first time I bought him as a pro-wrestler. The first time he looked kind of tough. KUSHIDA's just so much more believable -- I felt like he really wanted to win the match. KUSHIDA/O'Reilly is still my favorite BOSJ final of recent years but this was surprised me.

Up there as my favorite matches of the year. Took the format of Okada and Omega and condensed it a bit with better opening matwork. The sense of escalation throughout this match was intense and great reaching a fever pitch with the SSP and reverse rana on the apron. KUSHIDA is projecting himself as a WOTYC coming out of BOSJ. ****3/4

• 6 months later...

These two have great chemistry and Ospreay is a *good* seller and when his big matches focus around that, they're quite good. When all the flips and dives don't work, it turns really intense with the strike exchanges. Arm work builds perfectly (KUSHIDA is normally exceptional at this anyway), and when Ospreay won't tap and KUSHIDA goes for BttF, you think that's it, but it's a great swerve with the reversal and then Ospreay really cranks it up, kicking KUSHIDA flush in the face on the top rope. I didn't think they had another step up to go but they got there - top rope BttF and then another finishes. Easy MOTYC ****3/4

• GSR changed the title to [2017-06-03-NJPW-Best of the Super Juniors Finals] KUSHIDA vs Will Ospreay