Pro Wrestling Only

Austin Aries released

C.S.

No big shock. However I am shocked that more of the ROH/ NJPW/ GFW / UK / Indy talents have not been released. When the WWE reports a bad quarter and misses both their numbers and would look for a lot of these talents to get their walking papers. Lucky for them that NJPW , ROH and GFW are waiting to hire them back.

According to today's observer radio paraphraseing here, aries did not ask for his release. He was highly unpopular with the writing staff. Will get the 90 days non-compete cause as mentioned by sir edger. So until mid October he will work only approved indies so don't expect him turning up in roh or njpw until after that point.

That's odd if he said Aries didn't ask for his release, because he tweeted the exact opposite:

UPDATE: We can confirm that Austin Aries asked for his release.

https://twitter.com/WONF4W/status/883463477989429248

According to today's observer radio paraphraseing here, aries did not ask for his release. He was highly unpopular with the writing staff. Will get the 90 days non-compete cause as mentioned by sir edger. So until mid October he will work only approved indies so don't expect him turning up in roh or njpw until after that point.

That's odd if he said Aries didn't ask for his release, because he tweeted the exact opposite:

On the Observer radio that I listened to Dave said that Aries asked for his release; no talk whatsoever of him being unpopular with the writing staff etc.

On the Observer radio that I listened to Dave said that Aries asked for his release; no talk whatsoever of him being unpopular with the writing staff etc.

That was an earlier report. There was an update on the 7/7 WOR show. Dave said he was told (from the WWE side) that Aries did not ask but was thrilled that he got his release, but Dave doesn't know what the real story is. "The writing staff didn't like him. A lot of people didn't like him." is an exact quote from the show.

He did a one-shot appearance in ROH after he left TNA, and before he joined up with NXT, so apparently there isn't any lingering heat from when he left in 2011. GFW is under new management, so there shouldn't be any reason why he can't get a slot in GFW, if he wants to go there. I don't really see a slot for him in NJPW, unless they stick him in Kenny Omega's former role as the junior division rep for the Bullet Club.

It makes perfect sense that a guy as small as Aries would be in the cruiserweight division. I know this might be outdated thinking but I can't really imagine him as a threat to Lesnar, Reigns, Strowman etc with his stature.

Ehh, they made Rey Mysterio world champ at one time. Plus it's not like Finn Balor is that much bigger than Austin Aries. I agree he's a tiny dude & him against Brock would look like a man against a child but good workers can overcome that anyway, sometimes even thriving off of it, and it's not like David Vs. Goliath isn't a staple in pro-wrestling.

Honestly, I don't even know why WWE tries to have a Cruiserweight division in this day & age. It used to stand out in the 90's when people weren't used to seeing that stuff. Now you got big dudes that do all the same things that the Cruisers can do though & a Hurricanrana is no longer a spectacle.

Ehh, they made Rey Mysterio world champ at one time.

His reign was a joke though. He was made out to be an underdog fool, not a latino superhero that would sell zillions of masks to kids (it's 2017, they still have no idea how to sell their shit to the latino audience). And really, Vince was always against it and they gave him the belt only because Eddie had died.

Not just cause Eddy died.

At the time, the story (at least according to Meltzer and a few other folks) was that it was supposed to be Randy Orton getting the title at WrestleMania 22, and they were just using Rey Mysterio and the death of Eddy Guerrero to build up Orton and get heat for him.

That changed when Orton got in hot water, and was suspended for 60 days for "unprofessional conduct". Then of course, McMahon was finally convinced by a few folks backstage to have Angle drop the title to Mysterio in that triple threat championship match. Since then, the narrative around this has changed and people forget about Orton's suspension being one of the biggest reasons why Mysterio got the title in the first place. So Orton lost at WrestleMania 22, then quickly lost a singles match to Mysterio Jr. a few days later before being sent away to an anger management clinic.

Then yeah, WWE did a bad job booking Mysterio after they won the championship. Amazing how much Mysterio was able to accomplish in spite of bad booking choices.

I don't even think Rey proves anything about an entire group of guys so much, but he does make the case for variety. Rey was over because of his size, not in spite of it. But you also can't have 10 Reys in top positions, just like you can't have ten of anyone.

Big vs small is one of the easiest and most effective ways to book a wrestling match. When you book a cruiserweight division you cut off one of your best methods of earning heel heat. How popular could Rey have become if he never fought anyone bigger than Psicosis?

How popular could Rey have become if he never fought anyone bigger than Psicosis?

Rey got over like crazy in WCW by wrestling guys mostly smaller than Psicosis. ;) (but yeah, agree about big vs small, it's easy, it's fun and it always works well when good workers are involved)