Pro Wrestling Only

Great Balls of Fire: Good, Bad, or Meh?

The Thread Killer

Great Balls of Fire: Good, Bad or Meh?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of Great Balls of Fire?

• I thought it was a great show, I really enjoyed it.
    • I thought it was "meh." I didn't hate it but I didn't love it.
    • I thought it was a bad show and people who are praising it are crazy.

Online opinion on last night's big show seems really divided. Some people are saying it was the best show of the year so far, while others are saying it totally failed to deliver on the hype and excellent build up to Joe vs. Lesnar. Some people think the Main Event delivered, others think Joe got buried or the match was too short. Some people say the Ambulance Match was great, others disagree.

What did you think of the show, overall?

Absolutely thought it was a great show, despite the absence of anything resembling a MOTYC. Almost every match met or exceeded expectations and none really went too long, which is not something I thought was possible given the iron man match. They got one stinker (Bray/Seth) out of the way immediately and even that was better than expected. The other (Miz/Ambrose) came at an opportune time to reset and take care of some other things around the house while they ran through their act again. Basically everything else on the show was good to very good. I wish it didn't run long but the extended Braun/Roman angle made that happen, and the potential of super babyface Braun may make that worthwhile. A great, easy watch.

I wasn't a fan. I don't feel a connection to most of the characters on the show & outside of Roman/Braun & Brock/Joe, every match to me felt like filler. Roman/Braun was more about the post-match angle & Joe/Brock was too short & to me, felt like it was pointless. Joe dominates the angle leading into the match. Dominates the early parts of the match. Shows his aggression, then just loses to an F-5. It was very lackluster & disappointing.

I don't get the love for the 30-min tag at all.

Agree with Coffey.

Roman/Braun was the highlight for me, but only in a vacuum as I don't have confidence that they'll go anywhere worthwhile with it.

Joe/Brock not only did not live up to expectations, but also made me less interested in seeing more Joe and Brock/Braun. I don't see how anyone could think Joe looked strong in the match. He attacked before the bell and then choked Brock out multiple times only to lose to 6 spread out German Suplexes and an F5. If anything it shows that despite multiple cheap shots, he had nothing on Brock. It never seemed like Brock was in any danger. He turns purple all the time.

The Iron Man match was unmemorable and everything else felt unimportant. These single brand PPV's aren't even on the level of an average old school SNME in terms of importance.

The Tag match was really *good* overall (by that I mean, the last ten minutes were very good, the body of work was solid, the storytelling was nice). I enjoy a *good* match, including when on paper it didn't look good at all (watching Matt & Jeff for 30 minutes, yikes). But *good* doesn't get close to great or even MOTYC (both of which are thrown around for whatever good or fun stuff now).

Alexi vs Sasha I really enjoyed too. Would have been the best match with a good finish.

Rest was nothing. The car crash was junk. So, all in all, yeah, pretty bad show when your best match is around ***1/4.

Just as a shameless plug of my blog, here are my scores from the past few WWE PPVs (not counting NXT, which tend to score higher because they have fewer matches and math is involved)...

Great Balls of Fire - (3.06/5)

Money in the Bank '17 - (2.58/5)

Extreme Rules '17 - (2.50/5)

Backlash '17 - (2.37)

Payback '17 - (2.44)

WrestleMania 33 - (2.80)

FastLane '17 - (2.89)

Elimination Chamber '17 - (2.86)

Royal Rumble '17 - (3.30)

Roadblock: End of the Line - (2.50)

TLC 2016 - (3.00)

...and I could go on and on. But, at least from my records, the last non-NXT/non-"Big Four" show that I thought was as consistently good as GBOF would have been Money in the Bank 2016 (3.13 out of 5) thanks to good matches in AJ/Cena, Reigns/Rollins (I can't imagine enjoying a Rollins match now), a fun MITB ladder match, and a better-than-expected Apollo Crews/Sheamus match.

Brock/Joe was the first thing in a really long time that I was excited to see in a WWE ring and it was an utter disappointment. And it was made even worse by having to sit through that garbage angle after the Reigns/Braun match. I should have known better than to get excited for something when it comes to the WWE.

I thought it was a great show. I'd probably give it a 7 or 8 out of 10. I'll try & give the most objective thoughts I can on it since I'm a big WWE fan.

Neville-Tozawa wasn't as good as some of Neville's Title defenses on 205 Live to be honest, but it was very good & Tozawa got over with the Dallas crowd.

Wyatt-Rollins exceeded my expectations & ended up being a decent match. I really liked Bray's cut offs of Seth's offense like when he hammered him in the back after Rollins did his twisted landing on his feet thing from the ropes. Rollins is terrible on offense so there were bad moments, but the match was worked fine. Bray winning is just a set up for him to lose later, but big deal cause I don't care about him. This is a match & feud I care nothing about with two guys I actively dislike 90% of the time so it was nice to get it out of the way.

Enzo-Cass had the right guy win & there were some impressive spots like the gorilla press slam to the floor, but I do have some criticisms. Enzo cutting a five minute promo only to get his ass beat with no hope spot seemed like a waste of time. I think he should have gotten at least one big hope spot before getting his ass beat for good. I also think this break-up will end up being a bad decision & hurt both guys careers. Enzo is pretty much screwed on his own & Cass isn't even as good in-ring as 99-02 Test.

Iron Man Tag Title I loved. There were slow parts, but I was pretty much engrossed the whole way through. The crowd got totally into the match & I did too. I thought they paced the match really well, had some great psychology with The Hardyz trying to make the comeback, & the final 10 minutes were incredibly dramatic. Fantastic match. I'm not sure I'd call it a MOTYC, but it's definitely a top 10 WWE match this year.

Bliss-Sasha is really good. Sasha bumped tremendously for Bliss & I liked Bliss targeting the back. The count-out finish is fine, but a bit questionable when considering they've done that finish a lot in title matches on PPV this year. The post-match is awesome & I'm looking forward to a continuation of their feud.

Miz-Ambrose is the least of their matches so far this year. It was kind of there for the first half, but picked up in the final stretch & had the crowd rocking. I'm tiring of this feud though & think it needs to end soon.

Roman-BRAUN Ambulance isn't quite as good as their Payback encounter, but still a really good brawl. I'm a huge fan of Reign's selling. His rib selling is top notch & BRAUN's no selling of the chairshots was amazing. The brawling on the stage ruled. Great finish. The post-match angle is over the top & straight out of the Attitude Era, but I've never hated that stuff as much as others. I find it ridiculous, but still very entertaining. Kurt Angle's reactions & facial expressions had me howling. I actually loved how they threw on Slater-Hawkins as an impromptu match with them acting like they weren't scheduled to wrestle. Reigns & BRAUN were also both protected very well in the end with BRAUN winning & looking like an unstoppable force. Reigns sort of lost on a fluke & got his revenge (which that's what it was) for BRAUN literally trying to murder him over the last few months. I enjoyed this.

Brock-Joe is good, but being overrated & underrated by most people. The first few minutes are awesome, but then Joe kept trying for the Coquina Clutch without even attempting a grapevine & I was getting pissed. He also had no believable false finish which I believe hurt the match. Brock winning with one F5 isn't a big deal & I'm all for protecting finishers & making them feel special again instead of a million kick outs.

Overall, I'd probably give the show a strong 7 out of 10. Right around great level. 6 good to great matches. No bad match. A hot angle. A fun main event. An awesome tag title match. A great women's match. A great Cruiser match. I can't complain.

I thought it was a good show that dragged at times (Miz/Ambrose, especially). I haven't been keeping up on news or anything, so the card looked fun on paper to me and it delivered. I thought the tag match was the easy MOTN and I loved Braun/Roman (once I heard they were having an ambulance match, I knew it would be my shit). Don't have any firm opinion regarding Brock/Joe. It was exactly what I expected it would be but as someone who doesn't watch the TV, I don't really take Joe seriously as a main eventer.

I've watched the show with a friend who used to be a fan but now only watches occasional PPV's. and I haven't been able to get into it at all. It just went by and couldn't grab me, so it's meh for me.

I think this is where I'm at too. I don't watch the weekly shows anymore & that might be why I have such a disconnect with most of the roster. My buddy that I watched the show with felt the same as me but he also doesn't watch the weekly shows anymore. He was actually a lot more harsh on it than I was, I thought the women's title match was fine/watchable & I was really looking forward to Joe/Brock. I also didn't mind the post-match ambulance stuff of Reigns/Braun.

We still get together for PPVs but when we want to watch wrestling nowadays, it's either old stuff on WWE Network (mostly late 80s-early 90's or PPVs or WCW Nitros), marathon sessions of Lucha Underground (we're halfway through season 3 now), or it's New Japan. We've just fallen out of favor with modern WWE. Nothing feels important. No one feels special. There's not any dream matches left or scenarios that I can think of that would get me hype. Too many people that I'm not going to care about are the focus of the TV.