Pro Wrestling Only

Elimination of Babyface Shine & Slow Heat(Less) Segments

Superstar Sleeze

I'm at RAW in Boston and there's a Bray Wyatt VS Finn Baylor match about to happen so I figure I take this time to write something that has bothered me over the last year.

Modern WWE will skip the babyface shine and go right to the heat segment and usually the heat segment is methodical with lots of dead space. In my opinion it suckd all the fun outta wrestling.

I think you can only do this when the babyface is already established and over. If the babyface is NOT, this creates a negative feedback loop leading to a heat vacuum. Where the crowd can't invest in the babyface can't get over because no one likes a loser. They are letting Finn have a babyface shine and people are chanting Too Sweet! See the formula works!

The babyface shine is fun and gets crowd rolling. It makes them want to see the comeback because they know the babyface is a badass.

It makes the heat mean more because the babyface made a mistake or was wronged. Also the immediacy of the heat screws up the elevation of selling and kills the register. It causes overselling early and blowing off selling later

Without the shine or a hotly contested heat segment, there's no energy in the match or arena.

I think this is epidemic throughout WWE besides AJ Styles matches. What do you all think?

It's the number one thing that puts me off enjoying the current product. Sure there's "good wrestling" but none of it is fun. It's not just the babyface shine that canished but also heels stooging. What was the last WWE match where a heel really stooges it up to get the crowd to pop and get the babyface over? It's almost as if they're scared that heels showing ass in that way hurts their credibility which would be hilarious given that heels like Kevin Owens and Bray Wyatt aren't even a millionth of a fraction as over as acts like Buddy Rose and Midnight Express were and them acts never had a problem with being taken seriously during their heat segments because they spent the first stage of the match stooging to embarass themselves.

I've been complaining about this for years.

I remember back when the Usos got really good as faces (2012ish?) I was making the point that they were practically the only act on the whole roster who understood the importance of shine and made sure they got some every match.

When I see a match where the bell rings, two dudes walk towards each other and the heel just straight away boots the face in the gut and goes to work I want to punch things. It's terrible pro wrestling.

It's the number one thing that puts me off enjoying the current product. Sure there's "good wrestling" but none of it is fun. It's not just the babyface shine that canished but also heels stooging. What was the last WWE match where a heel really stooges it up to get the crowd to pop and get the babyface over? It's almost as if they're scared that heels showing ass in that way hurts their credibility which would be hilarious given that heels like Kevin Owens and Bray Wyatt aren't even a millionth of a fraction as over as acts like Buddy Rose and Midnight Express were and them acts never had a problem with being taken seriously during their heat segments because they spent the first stage of the match stooging to embarass themselves.

Probably when New Day were still heels.