Pro Wrestling Only

Summerslam 2017, or How to get through a 6 hour show with a little help from your friends at PWO

Ricky Jackson

Here we are in 2017, where the major WWE shows are more bloated than a mid-70s Yes album. Last night's Takeover was the punk rock alternative, five matches in less than 2 1/2 hours. That's a sensible length. To say the least, I haven't been a fan of the super long shows of the last few years. Looking at the card, a few matches should be very good, and the main should be great. But is the damage to the soul worth it to get there?

Anyway, I'm watching with a buddy and have plenty of beer in the fridge, with a back up plan of watching old school wrestling on youtube if we lose interest. I'll be tuning in for the main and Jinder vs Nak at the very least

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solid plan.

I would normally bribe my wife to sit with me through this with takeout and beer/wine, but we are both getting over a nasty virus and I am in the middle of antibiotic cycle... so we may have to tune out early. This is one of the shows I like to sit through, if for no other reason is the big summer touchstone that they will try to pay some stuff off and set the tone for stuff to come.

9PM will be the big checkpoint for us. If they aren't keeping our attention we will move over to game of thrones and probably not return tonight.

It's ridiculous that this is a 5+ hour show, but the Intercontinental Title isn't being defended - instead, we're getting a useless Miztourage vs. Hardys/Jason Jordan match on the pre-show.

Also, I'm surprised WWE didn't make more of a big deal out of the "30-year anniversary" (even though that's technically next year) with this being the 30th annual SummerSlam. What an underwhelming lineup for the big 30th show.

BTW, have the Hardys been wearing different colors for a while and I just haven't noticed, or is this the first time?

Not sure who got fucked more in that match. Jordan getting pinned clean or the Miz as a champion in the Ryback/Kalisto spot of the show after complaining about being on the pre show to begin with

I would like to think they have realized that Chad Gable was not only the better wrestler but better personality but I am not hopeful on him either

Yeah, that was sad. It looked like a poorly attended indie show. If you have a two hour pre-show, you probably shouldn't throw one of the pre-show matches out there in the first hour. Sad to see the Hardys and the Intercontinental Champion reduced to that. It's a four hour damn show, you'd have thought they could have found some room for them somewhere.

HEY...with The Revival being on the shelf again, should we expect to see The Authors of Pain called up soon to take their place in a feud with the Hardys? (Who have been awoken, apparently.)

I respectfully disagree. I love Neville with that title. He carries the entire division on his back, I don't think Tozawa can do that. Especially with this deal with Titus as his manager, to me that just comes across as odd.

They do need to get some new blood up from NXT to challenge Neville, though.

Also, how do the Hardys and Miz feel knowing they went on before the Cruiserweights? Not a sign your career is on the proper trajectory.

Also, how do the Hardys and Miz feel knowing they went on before the Cruiserweights? Not a sign your career is on the proper trajectory.

The only person it looks bad on is Jordan. Hardys are permanently over and Miz just needs one good segment on Raw to get himself back.

Then why change the title in the first place, Thread?

I don't disagree with you there, sir. The whole angle seemed poorly thought out, in my opinion. I was against them ending Neville's reign since (to me) the way he held that title made it seem like something. Now the continuity of the length of his uninterrupted reign is gone. I was against them moving it for essentially no reason. The last thing that division needs is for their title to become like the US title.

The only person it looks bad on is Jordan. Hardys are permanently over and Miz just needs one good segment on Raw to get himself back.

Do you think this is part of a larger angle where Jordan gets a shot at Miz, or is he on to a new contender?

I don't disagree with you there, sir. The whole angle seemed poorly thought out, in my opinion. I was against them ending Neville's reign since (to me) the way he held that title made it seem like something. Now the continuity of the length of his uninterrupted reign is gone. I was against them moving it for essentially no reason. The last thing that division needs is for their title to become like the US title.

I think we agree more than disagree. If they were going to give Tozawa the title, and they did, they should've run with it. Otherwise, Neville should've kept the title and uninterrupted reign. What we got instead was some half-baked compromise that benefits nobody.

Do you think this is part of a larger angle where Jordan gets a shot at Miz, or is he on to a new contender?

This is my guess, even though it makes no sense to me after Miz dismantled Jordan so cleanly and completely. :\

I think we agree more than disagree. If they were going to give Tozawa the title, and they did, they should've run with it. Otherwise, Neville should've kept the title and uninterrupted reign. What we got instead was some half-baked compromise that benefits nobody.

You're right. I'm not even saying Tozawa doesn't deserve the recognition and a title reign, but to me the deal with Titus as his manager was overshadowing him. The announcers spent more time talking about Titus Worldwide than they did about Tozawa. I just don't know if now was the right time to end Neville's reign, and I don't know if the division could sustain a prolonged Tozawa reign...right now. I can see it eventually, absolutely. I suppose it would have opened up some new challengers and title matches, but to me Neville is the division right now. You are absolutely right, I don't see how the way this was handled helped anybody, to be honest.

This is my guess, even though it makes no sense to me after Miz dismantled Jordan so cleanly and completely. :\

Yeah, I figured we were heading for Miz vs. Jordan too...but that win in the six man looked pretty decisive. Weird.

Man, either I was late to the party when it comes to appreciating the Usos, or they have really improved. Since their heel turn they are rapidly becoming my favorite team.

Also, I don't like New Day, but I am a big fan of Big E's cloak.

And Xavier Woods is excellent at selling, in my opinion.