Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-08-18-CMLL] Ultimo Guerrero & Rey Bucanero vs Emilio Charles Jr & Mr Niebla

soup23

We get the tag match that was supposed to happen earlier in the month here as Emilio is back. Emilio is in these snazzy blue trunks for the match. After Buccanero/Guerrero seem to be easing into a first fall victory, Niebla ties Guerrero up and Emilio gets a quick pin on bucanero to steal the first fall. Infernales are embarrassed and pissed and the second fall is more of a brawl. They are able to escape with the second fall. I liked the third fall because it ebbs and flows and it isn’t apparent who is winning the match until the INfernales win after some mistakes from Niebla and Emilio. I would have liked to have seen a longer match here as the Niebla/Charles team was fun and worked well together but it was fun while it lasted. *** (6.2)

• 3 months later...

This really seemed like a breakneck pace and these guys clashed well here. I like these straight tags as a change of pace from the trios and I like the duo of Niebla/Charles. Infernales are always reliable and feel like real glue guys as they go through a fast-paced and to the point match. I really liked it.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess this was the match that was supposed to happen at the PPV. This was snappier than the PPV match. It was another hatchet job in the editing suite but even the cuts couldn't dampen the energy that Emilio brought to the bout. The third fall was the type of all-out action that would become the norm in years to come but was still in its infancy in 2000 CMLL. At one stage it seemed like Emilio and Niebla were in control of the fall but the Infernales with their backs to the wall managed to pull off a clean win. I was surprised by that. It almost seemed like the Infernales were being positioned as workrate kings. It's not the first time their workrate has been pushed to the fore but it was noticeable here.

• 1 month later...

This is one of those matches where the editing is really noticable but makes it better. No down time at all and Niebla and Charles are really motivated. Seeing Niebla take a sick bump to the floor was crazy. Infernales continues to be the best team in the world at the time and Satanico's shirt is amazing. Fun match.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-08-18-CMLL] Ultimo Guerrero & Rey Bucanero vs Emilio Charles Jr & Mr Niebla