Pro Wrestling Only

[2017-09-27-Lucha Underground-TV] Dante Fox vs Killshot (Hell of War)

ShittyLittleBoots

Well I certainly wasn't expecting a match of this kind & quality from AR Fox & Shane Strickland! Goddamn, what an awesome grudge battle! They told a great story, the athleticism was great as expected from the two, the brutality was off the charts & the big spots came off as legitimate "holy shit" spots. Absolutely amazing stuff. As of now I think it's my pick for the best match in Lucha Underground's young history. A hell of a war, indeed! ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2017-09-27-Lucha Underground-TV] Dante Fox vs Killshot (Hell of War)
  • 2 years later...

Killshot vs AR Fox - Lucha Underground 9/27/17 Hell of War

Hell of War is Lucha Underground's code for Three Stages of Hell those being First Blood, No DQ and Stretcher. The story here is that each man served in the same US Army unit, but AR Fox has accused Killshot of leaving him to die. Now it is time to show each the Hell of War. 

This match defies a rating and in a lot of ways I feel rating this in a conventional manner is a slap in the face to both these men. I'll be frank I didnt really care for this match. It was all highspots and no real interesting story or transitions. They put their bodies through such hell and their lives in such danger, it would be disrespectful to lambast them for not having a psychologically sound match or a coherent, cogent narrative. They did a bunch of high flying spots at the beginning, moonsault on the ladder, legdrop from bleachers on some chairs on the opponent's head, urnage on the apron, Spanish Fly  on the apron. I was like whatever this is nowhere near as good as Pentagon vs Vampiro. Then the violence became so gratuitous and reckless that I dont want to berate them. Its their bodies and if they want to put them through Hell, I'll watch uncomfortably. I dont know what kind of glass they used. All I can say is when Killshot shattered that glass with their body, he came up bloody. When Killshot hit that insane piledriver on Fox on the all those broken shards of glass, his back became bloody as hell. All I could think about was their eyes and accidentally slicing an artery. Was it an interesting carwreck to watch? Yes ,I couldnt look away. This stopped being a pro wrestling match in my opinion. It became a stunt freak show. It is a spectacle and I can get it. I couldnt take my eyes off of it while I was watching, but it stopped being about the story/narrative. It was wholly about what violent spot was next. They did a Spanish Fly on a chair that warped the chair, there was a powerbomb on a barbed wire board, but that glass, that fucking glass that was insane. AR Fox's back after taking that whacked out piledriver. Holy shit. The stretcher portion that was an insane Death Valley Driver to the stretcher from the top rope which should have been a huge highspot but looked tame. Then they were on top of a balcony. Fox choking Killshot with a cord only have a gimmicked glass bottle broken over his head and then when through another pane of glass falling like 20-25 feet. Fucking madness. The way the glass shattered into such tiny pieces. Maybe it was gimmicked in some way, but the way his entire back was ripped to shreds and bleeding, it could not be. Sheer madness. Rating this would be disrespectful to either man. Every pro wrestling match is inherently dangerous, but they willing accepted a higher probability of danger than most. Sheer madness.