Pro Wrestling Only

[1985-04-22-WWF-MSG, NY] Hulk Hogan vs Don Muraco

Superstar Sleeze

WWF World Heavyweight Champion Hulk Hogan vs Don Muraco - MSG 4/22/85

The Hulkster who had a red hot 1984, which goes under the radar (in part due to him not having any major angles wen compared to Slaughter/Sheik, Andre/Studd, Piper/Snuka). At the start of the new year, Hogan is at the peak of his powers and is the centerpiece for the build to the inaugural WrestleMania. So what happens after Mania. Well, one big thing is Paul Orndorff's babyface turn which happens at the first SNME. Also, Hogan has his first three match series at the Garden. Vince had an interesting booking strategy for Hogan not using him at the Garden every month sometimes not even for months at a time. The opponent for this big occasion, "The Magnificent" Don Muraco fresh back from his sabbatical in Hawaii and as much of a lazy beach bum as ever.

What really impressed me about Hogan in 1984 was his unstoppable and infectious energy. While I could see it brimming to the surface, there is nothing that will quell that fire quite like Don Muraco. Hogan does show his ability to work holds well, sell his leg exceptionally well and his offense (high knee, enziguiri) is great. Muraco really does not do shit until about 3/4ths into the match. I thought Muraco lunging with the Asiatic Spike finally added some drama. Couple good nearfalls. Tombstone attempt, but Hogan's counter was good. Hogan does the big Hulk Up, but Muraco falls through the ropes. We get the countout finish due to some Fuji distraction. Nothing to really see here. I am going to keep watching Muraco, but I ask myself why does Vince keep giving him chances and why do I?

• GSR changed the title to [1985-04-22-WWF-MSG, NY] Hulk Hogan vs Don Muraco