Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-09-08-CMLL] Villano III & Villano IV & Villano V vs El Satanico & Rey Bucanero & Ultimo Guerrero

soup23

I don’t know how high a five minute match that is a trios finale of a tournament can go, but this is up there. Some absolutely frightening strikes, mask ripping, blood flowing awesome time. Villano V and Satanico in particular go after each other with complete disdain. The finish was predictable in that it resulted in Satanico calling for a DQ off of a foul and then getting fouled and pinned. That finish works for me every time and this had the added bonus of Bucanero overselling a fake foul as well. ***1/2 (7.2)

• 6 months later...

Good God, the work in this was awesome. It was everything you hope a Villanos vs. Infernales trio will be and for a short time it made you forget that it was just the final of a lucha tournament and not some amazing apuesta match. Then the bullshit kicked in and it was back to reality. But even the hatchet job in the editing suite managed to capture the awesome Villano III celebration afterward. What a year he's having in terms of pure emotion and adulation. There may be superstars in other promotions but has anyone connected with the crowd to the same degree as Villano III? He really is riding a wave of goodwill after his unmasking. The post-match scenes were tremendous but even they couldn't compare to Satanico and Villano V's brawling. That was damn near the da Vinci of lucha brawling.

I can't believe CMLL went on a hiatus after this. I mean the Sydney Olympics were a big deal and important but we missed out on the Negro Casas vs. Dr. Wagner feud and their two singles matches at Arena Mexico. Lost 80s footage is one thing but lost 2000 footage? Gutted.

• 2 months later...

The strike exchange between Satanico and V was Lawler/Dundee like in its brutality. Great visual of Villano's mask being ripped to shreds and he has to hold it up while punching Santanico right in the face. For a five minute segment, this was one of the best of the year. Everyone was beating each other up and the crowd was going crazy. Love the fans hoisting III up on their shoulder and parading him around like he's Perro Aguayo. Awesome stuff. 

• GSR changed the title to [2000-09-08-CMLL] Villano III & Villano IV & Villano V vs El Satanico & Rey Bucanero & Ultimo Guerrero