Pro Wrestling Only

WWE releases

PeteF3

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lio Rush made a really stupid tweet but yea it's been blown way out of proportion.

It's not the tweet that bothers me, it's the mentality that produced the tweet to begin with.

What kind of guy actually manages to get signed by WWE, and then decides that it's a good idea to make any kind of joke about somebody (who has been with the company much longer) losing their job? That just demonstrates an almost astounding lack of common sense.

There is a good stand-up comedy special out there by Craig Ferguson called "Does This Need To Be Said." Ferguson does a routine where he suggests that before saying something to your wife that could potentially blow up in your face, you ask yourself the following three questions...

- Does this need to be said?

- Does this need to be said right now?

- Does this need to be said by me?

If only poor Lio had this dialogue internally before tweeting, all of this could have been avoided.

It's pretty much a well known fact outside the wrestling industry, never mind by people who work in the industry, that WWE is fraught with unspoken internal "rules" and political landmines. Knowing that, how could Lio Rush not think making any kind of comment beyond "sorry to hear you got released, all the best" was going to do anything than make him look like Enzo A'more 2.0?

Top that off with the fact that his apology wasn't even really an apology, and throw in the fact that poor Lio appears to be borderline functionally illiterate (as humorously pointed out by Jack Gallagher.)

I have no sympathy for Lio Rush. Let's dismiss the multitude of stories about his backstage attitude and stupid behavior which are already floating around online as "rumor and innuendo" that cannot be proven. This is the same guy that no sold being powerbombed off a ladder through a table in one of his last independent wrestling appearances, just because he could. The fans didn't like it, his fellow wrestlers didn't like it, but he knew he was going to NXT so he didn't give a shit.

The guy is clearly a moron. The actual evidence to prove that fact is piling up.

The Lio pile-on was lame but expected. I am not sure what went through his mind or what he thought the realistic end result would be. Even IF it was all 100% a 'joke' in 'good fun'--what's so funny about someone losing his/her job? I can understand if Emma was caught pissing in the punch bowl at a company function or was let go due to her performing a shadow puppet show in Vince's office after hours. I am not in the OMGSUPERSERIZZBIZZ1!!1~! camp--but fuck! If he really was a dick on the indies, hopefully this is the even that straightens him out and he is able to grow. I hate to see young talented kids throw away a future and a REALLY good opportunity because they want to smoke weed, assault people, or in this case--not stay off of Twitter.

I was never a fan of Summer. Never. Her release doesn't surprise me. Her in ring stuff was bad, but from all accounts she seems like a really nice girl who will give 100% with whatever she is given. I will not be surprised nor upset when she pops up somewhere in the near future. She really seems like one of those people who needs seasoning outside of WWE.

Darren Young is talented, charismatic, and can work. He will be fine and hopefully he takes these next 2-3 years and do what Drew McIntyre, Jeff Hardy (post 2009 return)m and others have done. Now is definitely the time to MDYGA.

Emma is going to be fine. She will be back in 2-3 years (before she is 32).

I've been off the wrestling news grid for the last week or so, and was sad to see Emma and Summer gone. I really liked both of them and thought both could have been used a lot better.

I really, really liked Emma as a performer. As far as the Emmalina stuff went, I thought it was stupid in the first place, much like when they tried to repackage Lana as a dancer which failed miserably. Emma had gotten really good as a heel in NXT when she was teamed with Dana Brooke, it worked, and it could have transitioned seamlessly to the main roster if they gave it a chance and a push. I'm legit bummed by this, and it makes the Asuka matches stranger in context. They had good matches in NXT, so pairing them made sense in that respect, but Emma has basically been a jobber and Asuka needed to come in as a destroyer. And they did that with a random jobber on RAW tonight, which makes it that much odder to me.

I also really liked Summer. The stuff with both Fandango and Rusev was great, and she wasn't terrible as a wrestler. She wasn't great, she was better as a valet, but she was very athletic and the more she was in the ring the more she improved. I honestly, a few months ago, looked online to see if she was already out because she hadn't been around in seemingly forever, and I don't watch Total Divas. I'm gonna miss her, and I think WWE wasted her as a talent.

Darren Young I don't have strong feelings about. He did seem to be out with injuries a lot, and he's not all that young at this point. I liked the Prime Time Players as a team, thought they should have been pushed more, and thought it was dumb to break them up. The Backlund stuff was just weird, and I love Backlund personally, it was just odd. I looked at DY as a dude that was best served in a tag team, and he floundered after the PTPers were split.

...but I wouldn't be surprised if she focused on modeling.

Huh? The same Emma who sandbagged the "sexy" Emmalina gimmick is suddenly going to become a model?!

What's weird is that all the stuff they were doing to built up Emmalina she was already doing on her Instagram so it was strange to me she had issues pulling it off as a gimmick.

Also weird is all the people in WWE reacting as if she died as opposed to just getting released. All the "we'll always remember you" stuff seemed a bit melodramatic.

Hope Lio enjoys being the new Heath Slater, there's no way he's going to escape their doghouse at this point.

This is very much the modern way sadly, where everyone has to be incredibly ostentatious about showing how sad they are rather than doing it quietly in person. You get it all the time over here in the UK/Europe where football players wear t-shirts with tributes to a player that has suffered an injury that will put them out for a couple of months. On the one hand showing someone you are thinking of them when they are going to be down is nice, but on the other, everything has to be so over the top and public to where it becomes more about the person paying tribute or showing support than the person that is directly effected.

I should add though that I am actually very sad to see Emma go! (maybe I should put it on a t-shirt...).

I really enjoyed her work in NXT, especially when she went back as a heel and the matches she had with Asuka there, particularly the Takeover one I want to say was in London that I thought was fantastic. For whatever reason she never seemed to be treated with any respect on the main roster in terms of being treated as a viable contender. As some have suggested, it may work out for the best long term to go away and do something of a McIntyre to where she comes back with more what you might call 'street cred', but wondering if there are the places for her to go to achieve that. That is if she ever wants to go back of course - some may feel getting released and then getting more freedom over the direction of their career and how they present themselves is actually a better thing than being part of the machine.

It should be noted that Summer and Darren are both cautionary tales. Both got hurt and saw their spots disappear while they were out, then they were left in limbo until getting cut. Hard to think anyone but the top level folks dont see that as a message to do whatever it takes to work through injuries and not take time off.

I guess more releases aren't coming. Looking at the roster on WWE.com, I figured the likes of Curt Hawkins & The Ascension might have been in trouble. This is the first time WWE has released people in quite awhile. They had just been letting contracts run out recently.

The fact that he felt the need to say he didn't feel any shame in being released seems to suggest that the company views it as a failure on the talent's part. If your release isn't related to drugs/behavior it's an odd comment to make.

Plus he's another "got hurt, lost his spot, got cut" release which will only further encourage people to not miss any time.

Summer Rae and Darren Young were "good hands" but never got over a lick - they both desperately needed to go somewhere else and "find themselves." Now they have that chance. No idea about Dawkins, but I do agree it's not a good look for WWE to be releasing wrestlers who were sidelined by injury.

Summer Rae and Darren Young were "good hands" but never got over a lick - they both desperately needed to go somewhere else and "find themselves." Now they have that chance.

Wow. Getting fired and losing your income = getting a chance to "find yourself". What a bunch of capitalistic corporate horseshit.

I wonder if some of you have a bunch of WWE stocks sometimes...

Summer Rae and Darren Young were "good hands" but never got over a lick - they both desperately needed to go somewhere else and "find themselves." Now they have that chance.

Wow. Getting fired and losing your income = getting a chance to "find yourself". What a bunch of capitalistic corporate horseshit.

Yet you talk about it like it's the worst place in the world a wrestler could work so shouldn't you be happy for them that they no longer have to work for Satan himself?

I talk like it's the worst place in the world ? Really ? Oh, that's why I said some of those girls from the MYC deserved to be signed, for instance... Or that I'm glad AJ gets his big money break... Or, or, or...

But yeah, the "WWE stocks talk" is a joke I had in stocks ( ! ! ! ) for a while now. It's actually pretty amusing to me, the predictability of it (including, to be honest, your last post, which I knew was incoming).

No idea if you're purposely being obtuse with the intent of trolling, but okay, I'll bite...

Are you seriously going to sit there and argue that Drew McIntyre and Jinder Mahal being fired, going to the indies and raising their stock, and later returning weren't the best things that ever happened to them? I'm guessing we'll see the same thing happen for Cody Rhodes, as underwhelming as I personally find his current "main event cosplayer" character.

The fact is, going nowhere in the WWE for 10 years is not better than leaving, raising your stock elsewhere, and coming back to a bigger push and more money. Short term loss for long term gain - if they can pull it off.

To use Cody as an example again, he's betting on himself right now and it's most likely going to pay off for him in the long run (even if, again, what he's currently doing isn't to my tastes).