Pro Wrestling Only

WWE October 30 - November 5

FMKK

I always felt 98 Jericho won a ton, but that was part of what kept his heat so big for a payoff. Likewise Rush in Mexico right now. The payoff there will be a huge match at an anniversary a few years down the line. The difference is that i can almost promise you they don't have the first idea for a payoff with Bliss.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they have Kane for one more run, the 100% correct use of him is to feed him to Braun. These segments are not putting Kane over, they are putting Braun over in the long haul. Of course, Kane has been around way longer than any wrestler should probably ever be in one place -- imagine Superstar Graham, Bobby Duncum, or Spiros Arion headlining in 1996 WWF -- but time also moves slower than it used to.

I love how there's zero reason for anyone to care what show they are on until they build to SS, then suddenly everyone's ride or die. Other than Angle, who was just told his job was on the line, why would anyone else care? Do they get a brand supremacy bonus on the next check? Something that's literally never mentioned 11 months out of the year suddenly becomes so important that heels and faces band together.

I love how there's zero reason for anyone to care what show they are on until they build to SS, then suddenly everyone's ride or die. Other than Angle, who was just told his job was on the line, why would anyone else care? Do they get a brand supremacy bonus on the next check? Something that's literally never mentioned 11 months out of the year suddenly becomes so important that heels and faces band together.

They should make it for the WM main event slot or for the #30 slot in the Rumble to go to the brand. Something like that.

The rasslin' approach would be to offer big cash bonuses with a life-sized check and trophy for the winning side. A suitable WWE-style compromise would be for the GMs to say the winning team "will have a lot to be thankful for this holiday season" and create mystery around what that means.

1,000 writers on staff and WWE still can't figure this out. WWE continuously runs into the same issue again and again. We saw this with "The Walkout" and other big angles over the last 10 years. There's no urgency or reason other than needing to sell an upcoming PPV. The 100 meatless and heatless HIAC matches are byproducts of this thinking. Since at least the 3rd week of April, WWE knew SS was on the schedule. I just always hate the Brand vs. Brand matches WWE produces as it all comes down to even-steven booking the night of the PPV ( OMG! Smackdown and Raw are tied 3-3 going into the main event) and WWE hand holding the audience because wrestling fans (despite watching the product all year) will magically forget which wrestler is on which brand unless that wrestler is wearing a t-shirt.

For all the complaining I've seen online about the Raw vs SD stuff the crowds have been REALLY into it. Last week on Smackdown they booed the mentions of Kurt Angle mocking Smackdown and even chanted Under Siege 24 hours after the term even started being used. They were really into it again on this week's Smackdown.

The rasslin' approach would be to offer big cash bonuses with a life-sized check and trophy for the winning side. A suitable WWE-style compromise would be for the GMs to say the winning team "will have a lot to be thankful for this holiday season" and create mystery around what that means.

I remember years ago they did a gimmick where members of the winning team each got to book the show for a week, which I thought was an interesting idea. Maybe that could be revisited some time.

Sports fans cheer for teams, nothing new there. My only issue is why would the wrestlers care?

Because professional wrestlers want to win their professional wrestling matches. Why would the wrestlers not want to be on the winning team? Regardless of if they're going to switch teams once the next draft/shake up happens. It's not like free agency makes pro athletes not care about winning the games they play.

Sports fans cheer for teams, nothing new there. My only issue is why would the wrestlers care?

Because professional wrestlers want to win their professional wrestling matches. Why would the wrestlers not want to be on the winning team? Regardless of if they're going to switch teams once the next draft/shake up happens. It's not like free agency makes pro athletes not care about winning the games they play.

Athletes care about winning games with something real on the line. Raw vs. Smackdown is more akin to a preseason or All-Star game.

Athletes care about winning games with something real on the line. Raw vs. Smackdown is more akin to a preseason or All-Star game.

Maybe but it's worked so far. SD last week did a really surprisingly good number after the big Raw angle. Crowds are hot for it. The product seems to have momentum and purpose. We can very fairly poke holes in the logic but WWE to me had a hot week of TV and I'm looking forward to SS.

Maybe but it's worked so far. SD last week did a really surprisingly good number after the big Raw angle. Crowds are hot for it. The product seems to have momentum and purpose. We can very fairly poke holes in the logic but WWE to me had a hot week of TV and I'm looking forward to SS.

They can do the things that work (the surprises for instance) without being lazy. Why is it wrong to want basic competence and coherency?

They can do the things that work (the surprises for instance) without being lazy. Why is it wrong to want basic competence and coherency?

The Kane vs Rollins 2015 feud was competent & coherent. It also sucked & took up lots of TV time.

I'm not really a fan of suddenly doing RAW vs SD for 4 weeks out of the year & then going back to normal. There needs to be build & teases throughout the year to at least set up matches & stories down the line for S. Series every year. This company isn't going to bother doing that though & I don't blame them. The important thing is this is working & the crowds are responding. I'm enjoying it even if I think some of the segments have been overly campy. Most importantly, it's crucial to understand what WWE wants. They're looking for stories & characters to get over by any means necessary & less so about things making sense or being logical. They've actually gotten better with logic over the last two years or so even as it's not too present in this case. There's an argument to be made that logic & coherence get wrestlers more over, but I'm not sure WWE cares about how over someone is. They simply care if someone or something is over or not & go from there.

Yeah, look. I still want those other things, just some basic attempt at coherency too. I want so little, relatively, that I dont think it makes me greedy. You can do something interesting, logical, and surprising at least now and again. Hell, those things can build into one another. Theyre not mutually exclusive. Hell sometimes it can even lead to actual good wrestling too. This is like C+ level expectations. Just a passing grade. Just show your work. It doesnt even have to be great work. They just shade in option A 24 Times and figure theyll win on the odds.

What would you say is the last time WWE did something as you would describe above? Quite honestly, I don't ask much when it comes to wrestling. If I enjoy myself & look forward to what's next it's working for me. And WWE satisfies those feelings as of now. I can watch a Mid South episode from the 80s & a 2017 WWE PPV main event & get the same level of enjoyment. It doesn't mean they're the same thing, but both are good in their own way.

What would you say is the last time WWE did something as you would describe above? Quite honestly, I don't ask much when it comes to wrestling. If I enjoy myself & look forward to what's next it's working for me. And WWE satisfies those feelings as of now. I can watch a Mid South episode from the 80s & a 2017 WWE PPV main event & get the same level of enjoyment. It doesn't mean they're the same thing, but both are good in their own way.

Honest answer: Vince/Roman/Sheamus maybe?

I watch a lot more old wrestling than new wrestling. It happens in NXT at a much higher level than Id expect from the main roster all the time though.

It's not particularly backwards booking to have a sustained heel title run. It's clearly a set up to job her to either Nia or Asuka in the end so I see no issue with building her up strong to lead into that.

It's not that it's a sustained heel title run that's backwards, it's that Alexa wins all the blowoff matches clean when she's a 4ft 11 heel. Also her promos running down the babyfaces are always proven right.

1. Bayley wasn't 'extreme enough' to win their kendo stick match, and in that match Bayley is too squeamish to use the stick and loses clean to a DDT.

2. She lost the title to Sasha at Summerslam but spends all the next Raw saying Sasha's never retained the title, she's a choker etc... Beats her clean.

3. She says Mickie James is old to be wrestling for the title. Just beat her clean with a mere punch.

If you wanted booking that killed your babyfaces can't think of a better way.

In the previous brand split era, there used to be a rivalry leading up to the Royal Rumble as well, and stemming partially from that, there would be interpromotional matches at WrestleMania, which would be pushed as a big deal. Plus, their video game series was called Smackdown v. Raw and the GM mode was excellent and I was really disappointed when they discontinued that in their games. I always enjoyed that and I hope they start doing all of this again.

Bliss is booked that way because she's committed to her character and has the best facial expressions and heel synergy with the crowd. It makes it more important when someone does beat her, and I'd imagine it's going to be Asuka. And I hope they fued over the belt.

I think Bliss is a great "in ring worker", whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean. I think it means knowing how to connect with a crowd and do the wrestling as your character would do, which is exactly what she does. Shit, the only two heels who got chewed out by Angle for not helping fight the SD siege thing were Miz and Bliss, two of the only folks there who know how to be real heels.