Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV November 5 - November 11

PeteF3

Well the Nia thing turned out to be false anyway but just pretending everything went down the way it was rumored, she refused to do something and asked for time off. Owens & Zayn, assuming THIS story is true, agreed to do something and then went out and did the opposite and in a much pettier circumstance.

Refusing to do a job in a random pre-show match with no storyline to someone you've already been beaten by multiple times when you're supposed to be the monster heel of the division is not at all the same thing as agreeing to get run out of the ring by someone and leaving the ring before they can do anything to you. That's just petty bullshit because the idea they'd have been "hurt" or "buried" by having Big E & Xavier hit them a few times to send them out of the ring is ridiculous.

I don't know where anyone said they should be released either, I never said that. I said I hope Vince decides ROH breeds malcontents (CM Punk, Jimmy Jacobs, Owens, Zayn) and decides not to bring in any more of them and fires the three bland ROH scrubs they have masquerading as a top heel stable in NXT.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the biggest news items I haven't seen many people talk about coming out of this is that John Cena, who got as close to a retirement send-off less than 2 months ago as I've ever seen, is being brought back.

To me, this is a mistake, only because, with Cena, you could've easily brought him back at the Rumble or held off for a WrestleMania program. Cena doing cameos in November is short-term, panic-driven thinking and I don't believe the WWE should be in panic mode just because Reigns is out. Without Cena, you still have a mainstream-appealing show built around established names (Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, Shane McMahon, Randy Orton), some fresher talent (AJ, Joe, Nakamura, Strowman, Balor, The Sheild), and a handful of colorful acts that you or I may like, dislike, or be sick of but that still get great reactions from live crowds (New Day, Usos, Becky Lynch, Charlotte, The Miz). You take Cena off Survivor Series, I don't see a glaring void.

If the rumors are to be believed too, they also sent some feelers out regarding the Undertaker potentially competing at TLC this year (Angle got the spot). I can understand the feeling of desperation for that show because of the timetable and the inherent "thin-ness" of it being a brand only show, but Survivor Series doesn't have that problem, so why is John Cena unceremoniously returning for it?

One of the biggest news items I haven't seen many people talk about coming out of this is that John Cena, who got as close to a retirement send-off less than 2 months ago as I've ever seen, is being brought back.

To me, this is a mistake, only because, with Cena, you could've easily brought him back at the Rumble or held off for a WrestleMania program. Cena doing cameos in November is short-term, panic-driven thinking and I don't believe the WWE should be in panic mode just because Reigns is out. Without Cena, you still have a mainstream-appealing show built around established names (Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, Shane McMahon, Randy Orton), some fresher talent (AJ, Joe, Nakamura, Strowman, Balor, The Sheild), and a handful of colorful acts that you or I may like, dislike, or be sick of but that still get great reactions from live crowds (New Day, Usos, Becky Lynch, Charlotte, The Miz). You take Cena off Survivor Series, I don't see a glaring void.

If the rumors are to be believed too, they also sent some feelers out regarding the Undertaker potentially competing at TLC this year (Angle got the spot). I can understand the feeling of desperation for that show because of the timetable and the inherent "thin-ness" of it being a brand only show, but Survivor Series doesn't have that problem, so why is John Cena unceremoniously returning for it?

I'm kind of sick of everything good being saved for Mania, especially if Mania is going to be a bloated show that's not fun to sit through like the last two years. I like them doing fun stuff during football season.

They were already going to have Cena on the show as the guest referee for Brock/Jinder. Once they decided to switch it to Brock/AJ then Cena didn't fit in that spot anymore (since the planned finish was probably going to set up a Cena/Jinder match) and they put him in the last spot on the Survivor Series team that AJ was going to get.

And they needed to do that too because the Smackdown Survivor Series team was looking like a clear B-team compared to Raw's. Plus for all we know Cena could've just said "Hey if you guys are gonna bring me in for a PPV let me wrestle because that's what I want to do and I rarely get to do it now"

I'm kind of sick of everything good being saved for Mania, especially if Mania is going to be a bloated show that's not fun to sit through like the last two years. I like them doing fun stuff during football season.

Well I wasen't all that impressed with Wyatt/Orton! It was the piss break match for me.

Never really see why people like Bray, Alberto, Miz have been WWE Champion when guys like Piper, Jake, Rude, Perfect never got that chance to run with the belt.

Well I wasen't all that impressed with Wyatt/Orton! It was the piss break match for me.

Never really see why people like Bray, Alberto, Miz have been WWE Champion when guys like Piper, Jake, Rude, Perfect never got that chance to run with the belt.

Letting people who aren't big enough stars hold the belt does terrible damage to its credibility and those guys shouldn't have had it with the pushes they had either.

I'm not gonna dispute the guys background and sources, but when an ex TMZ guy is breaking stories, it really shows that "Pro Wrestling Journalism" is a fucking joke.

Agreed.

So now we're pretending pro wrestling is some high art that is too precious to be sullied by the likes of TMZ?

No, the point is the quality of pro wrestling journalism isn't exactly that high

And my point which was seemingly skipped over is that TMZ has scooped major conglomerate-backed media on bigger stories than this before. I'm not sure why everyone's dander is up over an ex-TMZ guy knowing how to break stories. And I'm not even a big Satin fan, but his track record is pretty darn good.

No, the point is the quality of pro wrestling journalism isn't exactly that high

And my point which was seemingly skipped over is that TMZ has scooped major conglomerate-backed media on bigger stories than this before. I'm not sure why everyone's dander is up over an ex-TMZ guy knowing how to break stories. And I'm not even a big Satin fan, but his track record is pretty darn good.

Some people just like to immediately respond to any and everything with loud noises.

They were already going to have Cena on the show as the guest referee for Brock/Jinder. Once they decided to switch it to Brock/AJ then Cena didn't fit in that spot anymore (since the planned finish was probably going to set up a Cena/Jinder match) and they put him in the last spot on the Survivor Series team that AJ was going to get.

And they needed to do that too because the Smackdown Survivor Series team was looking like a clear B-team compared to Raw's. Plus for all we know Cena could've just said "Hey if you guys are gonna bring me in for a PPV let me wrestle because that's what I want to do and I rarely get to do it now"

I'll admit to not knowing Cena was already set to be the guest ref for Brock/Jinder. I only watch the Network specials, so I definitely have some egg on my face for that.

But I think my point still stands even more now? The original idea to bring back John Cena, after a pseudo-retirement angle, was 45 days later to be guest ref a Lesnar squash match? They figured that was a good use for bringing back maybe their most mainstream star? Maybe they should go all the way with this logic and have The Rock return as GM for 205 Live.

I'll admit to not knowing Cena was already set to be the guest ref for Brock/Jinder. I only watch the Network specials, so I definitely have some egg on my face for that.

I'm pretty sure that news only came out after this week's shows.

I'm not gonna dispute the guys background and sources, but when an ex TMZ guy is breaking stories, it really shows that "Pro Wrestling Journalism" is a fucking joke.

Agreed.

So now we're pretending pro wrestling is some high art that is too precious to be sullied by the likes of TMZ?

Wowzers! What a ridiculous overreaction and complete misread of the situation.

I realize Sorrow can rub people the wrong way - myself included - by sometimes being a troll poster and it's tempting to disagree with anything and everything he says, but he's right in this case. When you're right, you're right.

This.

But I think my point still stands even more now? The original idea to bring back John Cena, after a pseudo-retirement angle, was 45 days later to be guest ref a Lesnar squash match? They figured that was a good use for bringing back maybe their most mainstream star? Maybe they should go all the way with this logic and have The Rock return as GM for 205 Live.

You've worked yourself into a shoot thinking that was some kind of retirement angle. They IMMEDIATELY said it wasn't that on the post-PPV Network interview Cena did. As far as using Cena as a guest ref it seemed pretty clear it was gonna be a way for them to get out of doing a clean finish in a champ vs champ match and set up Cena's next program around Rumble/Mania season when he's back on a more regular basis.

I posted the relevant part of Cena's interview in a tweet the day after it happened but I can't figure out how to embed it so here is a link: https://twitter.com/KrisPLettuce/status/912392510818963456

Wow, WWE actually delivering on a dream match in Lesnar vs. Styles. Even though I have been praising him a ton lately despite suplex city, I hope Brock wrestles the match the way he did against Cena/Punk/Roman. From an offensive standpoint atleast. Everything else is still on point, but he has diluted his offense quite a bit I won't deny that. Him smashing someone in the kidney is way more compelling than 6 back bump Germans. Then the match has a real chance of being a high end MOTYC.

Different eras. WWE itself has become the draw instead of who is champion, at least in WWE's eyes. Plus the brand splits provided more opportunities to experiment and give more people the chance to be champion.

The dream will turn into a nightmare when lazy Brock takes 80% of the match and it ends in ten minutes. Be careful what you wish for...

This has become the sad reality of Brock matches. On paper it sounds good and in our heads it sounds good because we KNOW what Brock can do int the ring when motivated. But then reality comes like a mac truck and we realize we are in the Suplex City era of Brock Lesnar. I keep hoping THE NEXT MATCH will be the one where Lesnar decides to cut the shit and save the SC gimmick for house shows and dark matches, but he always disappoints.

Cena being on Team Smackdown is just another item of note WWE is doing to begin positioning Q4 as Must See TV. This is what was needed for years and with the NFL experiencing some issues--this is the best time to come out with guns blazing. Now of course if this is all business as usual next year, well...

The KO/Zayn stuff is the type of shit that made The Shield so consistently well booked. Those 3 veto'd whatever they didn't feel like doing and would "damage" their characters.

I have a hard time believing a Triple H darling like Owens, after having a huge fucking push working with Shane, got into this kind of trouble over not showing ass during a segment.

Either it's a work or something much more serious is going on

The KO/Zayn stuff is the type of shit that made The Shield so consistently well booked. Those 3 veto'd whatever they didn't feel like doing and would "damage" their characters.

I have a hard time believing a Triple H darling like Owens, after having a huge fucking push working with Shane, got into this kind of trouble over not showing ass during a segment.

Either it's a work or something much more serious is going on

There's every chance that this is worked or exaggerated but there's a difference between vetoing something before it happens and not complying with the script in air.

If I were WWE, I wouldn't have them appear again until the PPV