Pro Wrestling Only

[2017-11-22-WWE-NXT] Pete Dunne vs Johnny Gargano

ShittyLittleBoots

I actually liked this better than anything on the Takeover card. I still find it so awesome that before he got a job in the WWE, Gargano was one of my least favorite guys around in the indies & now he really is one of the best babyfaces WWE got. And that was on display here as expected - he was excellent with his hope spots, emotion & selling. Dunne was great as well with his work over him - loved the arm targeting. Great match. ****

This was much better than I expected given what was written about it online from live reports. Gargano is just a naturally over babyface, the kind of guy who can lose as long as he puts on a great match before the three-count, which he always does. I only fear for what that might translate to on the main roster. In any case though, he put on quite a performance here tonight. I loved how he was so consistent with selling the fingers all throughout the match. One of the main things I hate about Marty Scurll matches, for example, is how quickly they forget the finger work. Here, Gargano really sold it like Dunne had broken his fingers. Then you have little moments of drama like Dunne biting Gargano's fingers to escape. I enjoyed how they milked Gargano's realization that Dunne had his mouthguard out which led to him going for some strong headshots to try and finish Dunne off. Dunne checking his teeth after the Superkick was a great touch too. Strong finish as well. Overall great stuff.

• 5 months later...

Gargano always throws in little touches to his matches that helps them reach that next level, things like the drama with the Dunne's discarded mouth guard, although I'm not sure if these things are Gargano's or the producer's doing. Dunne escaping the submission by chewing on Gargano was a neat bit too.

You've got WWE's most despicable heel taking on WWE's most lovable babyface. You can't go wrong with this.

★★★★

• GSR changed the title to [2017-11-22-WWE-NXT] Pete Dunne vs Johnny Gargano