Pro Wrestling Only

The 10,000 person crowd

sek69

Also there seems to be a silly amount of venom here for the Bucks/Bullet Club fans who drive up numbers at Hot Topic. When did we become the "correct" type of wrestling fan who can look down our noses at others? We all enjoy watching dudes play fighting in spandex here, let's not act like we're superior because we aged out of Hot Topic's target demo.

At least mention me by name if you're going to direct a post at me... :P

Anyway, I'm just joking around with my comments. Cody's current traveling NWA World Champion cosplay character does nothing for me, but I know so little about the Bucks (and Hot Topic) that I'm not enough of an authority to rail against them seriously.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that bringing in ICP would repel at least as many fans as it attracts.

Yep, every ICP fan I've ever met is borderline mentally ill and/or mentally challenged - no slight intended to those who are either or both.

ICP's brand of wrestling exists in its own universe, and I don't think it would mesh well with the larger Cody/Bucks type of wrestling. Then again, if it's presented as a once-off on a loaded card, it could work - kinda like the Broken Hardys universe did.

But then you have the issue of those degenerate ICP Faygo-popping fans polluting the rest of the crowd of Hot Topic-buying geek losers smart marks. How do those two completely different types of audiences co-exist in the same arena?

Cody and Bucks might have to go back to pre-Sputnik Monroe levels of segregation to make that work, but instead of separating whites and blacks, you separate the ICP Faygos from the Hot Topics.

Edit: BTW, in case "Faygo" sounds like some kind of insult or - God forbid - slur, it's not. It's a terrible soft drink brand favored by the ICP fanbase.

23uxKEC.jpg

Side note but the Faygo Red Pop is delicious. Honest question, does the Juggalo thing carry the same weight with the under 30 crowd that they would probably be drawing on heavily here? Yeah, we all know and hate them but we're also a bunch of old fucks that remember ICP from their height in the big promotions and the Sharon Osbourne fight on Stern and stuff. It seems like they've had a much lower profile the last decade while still pulling their fanbase in for stuff. And their fanbase also seems to be heavily concentrated in the Midwest where we're talking about running such a show. I agree, they bring a risk but let's say they cost you 1,000 sales but bring in 2,000 of their fans. That's still a net gain for you.

I guess a lot of this depends on how true we think Punk will be to his word on never returning to wrestling. There is a place for him to be viable now without ever having to cross paths with WWE in any way. He might change his mind at some point, but I'd be shocked if he's there mentally now. Punk-Danielson vs Young Bucks would be an interesting main event in an all-things-possible world, though.

I heard that Rey was charging something like $20,000 a match when he first started taking bookings. If that sets a precedent, Punk could do a $100k year doing a five match series with the Bullet Club guys without ever having to travel further than Chicago to New York. Limit the matches to keep it special, do a few online promos to hype it up and then about 90 minutes in-ring all year. That must be super tempting.

I'm there if it's in Chicago.

What venue do you think they would pick? Sears Center is the only one I can think of offhand that would work size wise. All the other venues that I can think of are too big or too small. I think the Odeum in Villa Park seats about 6K or so or at least it did when I went to ECW Anarchy Rulz 99.

This is actually kinda fun in the fantasy book how to get 10k people to watch a non-WWE event.

I think if CM Punk is NOT coming don't do Chicago. No major nearby cities. It is not a destination (East Coaster speaking here, so all you Flyover States bruthas can flame me if you want). I don't think it is worth IT.

This is the obvious answer, but because it is obvious is why they should do it. New York City (Largest Metro Area). Biggest city in America. Rabid fanbase one hour away in Philly (Seventh largest metro area). DC is four hours away (sixth largest metro area in US). Boston is four hours away (tenth largest metro area). I have driven to shows in NYC four times. Three out of four times AJ Styles was on the card and the other time was for Mania. So clearly the way to get me to go is to have AJ on the card. :P

Also if they do it in UK, it totally doesn't count. Has to be in America. If it happens outside of America, did it really happen? :P (Now all non-Americans can flame me) :P

One out there thought, how about Spring Break in Florida. Large gathering of young people anyways and a bunch of 20-somethings from the Northeast may say fuck the cold lets go party with the Bullet Club and college kids. Wet t-shirt contest with Brandi Rhodes would totally draw 10k. :P Lol :D

This is actually kinda fun in the fantasy book how to get 10k people to watch a non-WWE event.

I think if CM Punk is NOT coming don't do Chicago. No major nearby cities. It is not a destination (East Coaster speaking here, so all you Flyover States bruthas can flame me if you want). I don't think it is worth IT.

This is the obvious answer, but because it is obvious is why they should do it. New York City (Largest Metro Area). Biggest city in America. Rabid fanbase one hour away in Philly (Seventh largest metro area). DC is four hours away (sixth largest metro area in US). Boston is four hours away (tenth largest metro area). I have driven to shows in NYC four times. Three out of four times AJ Styles was on the card and the other time was for Mania. So clearly the way to get me to go is to have AJ on the card. :P

Also if they do it in UK, it totally doesn't count. Has to be in America. If it happens outside of America, did it really happen? :P (Now all non-Americans can flame me) :P

One out there thought, how about Spring Break in Florida. Large gathering of young people anyways and a bunch of 20-somethings from the Northeast may say fuck the cold lets go party with the Bullet Club and college kids. Wet t-shirt contest with Brandi Rhodes would totally draw 10k. :P Lol :D

Legit cracked me up. I actually agree with the comments about Chicago and New York (though being from NY am obviously and unreasonably biased), but would think that the ability to drive here from so many other big cities (Philly, Boston, DC, Toronto) is an advantage. I'm sure they know their markets and Cali may very well be logical, but it doesn't seem like a completely unrealistic endeavor with the right main event. At least for a single event.

Surely, me being in Chicago is good for at least a dozen tickets sold, but whatever dude.

Also there seems to be a silly amount of venom here for the Bucks/Bullet Club fans who drive up numbers at Hot Topic. When did we become the "correct" type of wrestling fan who can look down our noses at others? We all enjoy watching dudes play fighting in spandex here, let's not act like we're superior because we aged out of Hot Topic's target demo.

Somebody who thinks The Young Bucks are cool and like their t-shirts are fine. Different strokes for different folks. Have an awesome time.

The only BC fans I have a hatred for are the types who think Omega is Jesus Christ reincarnated, basically believe the history of Japanese wrestling started three years ago, thinks New Japan is going to create a new boom period, and somehow think that if you think Roman is a good worker, you're a WWE shill who doesn't know anything about wrestling.

They're the wrestling version of Rick 'n' Morty fans.

Also there seems to be a silly amount of venom here for the Bucks/Bullet Club fans who drive up numbers at Hot Topic.

I have no problem admitting that I would wear wrestling shirts in public. I might look a bit out of place shopping in a Hot Topic but then again, who is going to see me? No one goes to the mall anymore & I could just shop online anyway. My biggest issue is finding shirts that I like. Wrestling shirts usually have some big, gaudy crap on the back or only come in black. WWE shirts have that giant super annoying tag on the front bottom & are overpriced. Plus last time I ordered from Shopzone it took almost three and a half months for the damn shirts to arrive.

I like nostalgic shirts a lot, especially wrestlers from my childhood but those are even more rare to find ones that I dig. Even on websites like ProWrestlingTees.

I didn't think about the Loss factor. A PWO convention in Chi-Town could be a big drawing card.

Ha, we'll totally do it. If it ends up here, we'll do (Chica)Go Wrestling Only! We might just stand around and stare at each other not knowing what to do next, but we'll make an event out of it!

I didn't think about the Loss factor. A PWO convention in Chi-Town could be a big drawing card.

Ha, we'll totally do it. If it ends up here, we'll do (Chica)Go Wrestling Only! We might just stand around and stare at each other not knowing what to do next, but we'll make an event out of it!

Contact Cody with that pitch and he'll book us in a dark match battle royal.

Surely, me being in Chicago is good for at least a dozen tickets sold, but whatever dude.

Same!

Also there seems to be a silly amount of venom here for the Bucks/Bullet Club fans who drive up numbers at Hot Topic.

I have no problem admitting that I would wear wrestling shirts in public. I might look a bit out of place shopping in a Hot Topic but then again, who is going to see me? No one goes to the mall anymore & I could just shop online anyway. My biggest issue is finding shirts that I like. Wrestling shirts usually have some big, gaudy crap on the back or only come in black. WWE shirts have that giant super annoying tag on the front bottom & are overpriced. Plus last time I ordered from Shopzone it took almost three and a half months for the damn shirts to arrive.

I like nostalgic shirts a lot, especially wrestlers from my childhood but those are even more rare to find ones that I dig. Even on websites like ProWrestlingTees.

You don't even have to go in to Hot Topic! That Black Friday deal online was great.

I didn't even know what Hot Topic was until this thread and I am 28. I feel really out of touch. Is it a big deal? Is it a popular clothing store? Is it like Abercrombie & Fitch or Aeropostale? (Tangent: Is how Michael Cole says Aeropostale the correct way to say it? Because if so there is a whole shit load of New Englanders that aint saying it right). Those were two big ones that all the "cool" teens went to when I was a kid.

I didn't even know what Hot Topic was until this thread and I am 28. I feel really out of touch. Is it a big deal? Is it a popular clothing store? Is it like Abercrombie & Fitch or Aeropostale? (Tangent: Is how Michael Cole says Aeropostale the correct way to say it? Because if so there is a whole shit load of New Englanders that aint saying it right). Those were two big ones that all the "cool" teens went to when I was a kid.

Its like Spencers Gifts.

Its like Spencers Gifts.

I'm guessing neither have a presence in NY? I haven't heard of either.

Same!

We should pitch the Bucks the idea of a PWO Club shirt to add to the Hot Topic rotation, get some of that merch gravy train to go along with Loss being a proven ticket mover.