Pro Wrestling Only

[2009-10-04-WWE-Hell In A Cell] CM Punk vs The Undertaker (Hell In A Cell)

Superstar Sleeze

World Heavyweight Champion CM Punk vs Undertaker - Hell In A Cell 2009 Hell In A Cell

After another iteration of the Montreal Screwjob in Montreal, they reprise Undertaker hijacking a limo but instead of Stephanie in the back, it is Teddy Long, "Buckle Up, Teddy". The whole Teddy Long screwing the Undertaker made no sense, but that was a good angle. Then Undertaker delivered Teddy in a casket to CM Punk to let him know that he would be defending his championship against the Undertaker in Hell In A Cell. Damn good build.

These two have great chemistry together. I shouldn't be surprised I was live for their awesome WrestleMania match. I thought this was a better version of the Breaking Point match because it had a much better finish. I loved Taker inviting CM Punk to punch him and just no selling it. CM Punk's face turns from determined to frightened. CM Punk bails, but eventually the Deadman catches his prey and drives him into the unforgiving steel. Taker is the king of stalking his prey. Punk dropkicks the steps into Taker's knees. Taker does a great job selling and this really gives Punk an opening. Punk takes an awesome bump off the apron into cage when he goes for the bulldog. For a not bloody cage match, Punk is making up for it by at least taking some nutty bumps into the cage. Great suicide dive by Punk into Taker driving him into the cage. Dean Ambrose take notes. They hit the finish stretch. I liked Punk clipping the leg to set up Go 2 Sleep, but doesn't hit it. Punk's big nearfall is off a charishot. I was not too enamored with Punk hitting his knee in the corner and then eating the Last Ride. A Block and Last Ride would have been much better. The Last Ride out of the corner looked great, didn't love the setup. Punk actually gets another nearfall off knocking him off Old School before Chokeslam and Tombstone Piledriver. Very enjoyable match. A little too short to be considered great, but a solid contest. ***1/2

• 1 month later...

Interesting take. I haven't seen it since it happened, but I remember at the time it being seen as a pretty disappointing match largely because people Punk had been on a great run and people didn't want to see him drop the belt to a part-timer. That, and expectations were pretty crazy going in with it being thought going in that it could had the potential to be on the same level as the HBK/Taker HIAC.

• GSR changed the title to [2009-10-04-WWE-Hell In A Cell] CM Punk vs The Undertaker (Hell In A Cell)