Pro Wrestling Only

Proposal for 2018: Match Review Trades

Matt D

Tim Evans, since it seems you've been working through some of the early 2000s indy stuff, would offer this one up for your review.

Low Ki v. Red, three days after 9/11(!), main eventing a show at the Elks Lodge. They'll be main eventing a show in Queens again in two weeks (which is sort of insane), so an interesting time to look back at these guys.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted my review of the Bret Hart vs Issac Yankem cage match here

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/14901-bret-hart-vs-isaac-yankem-wwf-monday-night-raw-101695-cage-match/&do=findComment&comment=5828334

For MattD, I picked Tully Blanchard vs Don Kernodle, 05/11/85. I thought this was a really fun match, interested to see your take on it.

Thanks, Matt. I've seen more than my share of 1985 JCP, but while I remember the Taylor TV match and the Houston TV match and the Sawyer TV match from Tully, I don't remember this one at all, so I'm looking forward to digging in.

I took a quick look and saw that you had worked through at least some of the DVDVR Mid-South set back in the day. If I was going to add one and only one supplemental match from the Houston footage we picked up in the last few years, it might well be Murdoch vs Dibiase from December 29, 1985. It's a Grudge Match after the big Dibiase turn episode in November and we only ever had a clipped version before.

I know I'm behind but no worries, I'll keep a backlog from the matches given if I'm late. I should have my review of Luger vs Spivey from Wrestlewar 1991 in a couple of days.

SPS, I picked for you a classic feud, probably the biggest in Montreal during the summer of 1985. The follow-up to the St-Jean-Baptiste Massacre between the Rougeau Brothers and the Garvins, from International Wrestling/Lutte Internationale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDpEGKjbi50

Thanks I'll get to this on the weekend, great pick as I've read Pat Laprade's book "Mad Dogs, Midgets, and Screw Jobs" and never got to check out any of the Montreal stuff so this will be awesome.

For you since I don't know your viewing history so I'll just throw you a random match that I like that I rewatched recently, Bret Hart vs Ricky Steamboat from Boston Garden in 1988.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x52fm1

dawho5 gave me another dope, high end WOS match. This is the second WOS match I have been given, which has finally propelled me into diving into stuff myself.

I did my review here...

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/34339-jon-cortez-vs-steve-grey-joint-promotions-072781/&do=findComment&comment=5828472

Long story short, I really liked this. As someone getting to know the style a bit, this felt like the brawl version of WOS, a lot of grittiness and teeth to this. The ending is a bit wonky. I really like the little detail with the corner pad being put back up after falling only to save Cortez by a few seconds, just to have lady luck turn around and bite Grey.

I've had no message from WingedEagle so far, but for those interested I gave him this 1950s/60s match between Lord Blears and Leo Garibaldi:

Thanks, really looking forward to this as I haven't seen much at all from this era. Familiar with both names but have only seen Blears in his role reading proclamations in All Japan, so this should be very fun.

It looks like you've watched a ton of joshi but not necessarily much Stardom or Io Shirai, who I think has been among the top 5-10 workers in the world in recent years. This match may have already been rec'd elsewhere in this project but hopefully its new to you. If not, I can come up with a bunch of others very easily and make sure that its available for you online. Enjoy!

https://rutube.ru/video/ad1961e437db7fd81e86d81f4cb2c6d2/

Yeah, you're easy right now. I already know what WoS match I'd want to give you if I get you on the random draw.

hahaha.... its true. I'm having a lot of fun with it. I watched a Breaks vs Saint (3/14/73) match this morning that I was also quite fond of. I feel like I have seen three very distinct types of 70s/80s British wrestling matches that were all really really good so far. I have quite a few pulled up on my browser that I want to get to when I have more than a second to post.

I always really love when I finally bring myself to jump into something new and kinda swim around aimlessly for a while. Everything is so fresh and exciting. Its kinda like being a kid again, or at least as close as I can be as a somewhat cynical 33 year old.

Matt Franklin had me watch Tully vs Kernodle. Very fun match. Great crowd. Great Tully performance as a vulnerable heel (TV) champ. The match is a solid example on how two wrestlers can be so committed to one theme that it works even though it's really just one theme.

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/32150-nwa-world-tv-champion-tully-blanchard-vs-don-kernodle-www-51185/

For Migs: I picked one of my favorite lucha matches ever that took place in Japan featuring Ninja Turtles and Robin vs Black Terry, Jose Feliciano, Texano and Ricky Boy

The Ninja Turtles wrestling (and wrestling well) feels like a child playing with toys in the wrestling ring coming to life. (Personally, I just need to see someone as He-Man and I'm set.)

I really liked the funky mathwork at the beginning, particularly with the fifth man on the Turtles Team (Splinter?). Really liked the finish of the first fall, which was perhaps the most logical use of a rowboat ever. The second fall did a little less for me, as the way it broke down really took some energy out of the match for me (this is also where the lucha rules lose me a bit - why is it okay for it to be 5-on-1 for minutes?). I like the brawling in the third fall, although I wish the cameras were able to capture a bit more of it. Liked the dive train as an end of match high spot. I didn't quite follow the submission finish, though. All in all, a pretty fun 20 minutes.