• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#21 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 1057 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, Reading, BJJ, Traveling, Beer, Cooking, Dogs

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:22 PM

I am already looking for who I will hate for the rest of my life because of this whole thing.  Also looking for some people to dismiss out of hand.   Can't wait!

#22 elliott

elliott
  • Members
  • 1366 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:16 PM

I'm not counting any ballot unless it is just a list of 100 Ric Flair matches. :)

#23 Jmare007

Jmare007
  • Members
  • 1543 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:21 PM

Did I miss something? There's legit beef between people because of the GWE? The hell? :lol:

I don't think I'll take part in this, I have a much harder time ranking matches than wrestlers and there's just too many great stuff. Can't wait to follow the process and watch some hidden gems though.

#24 fxnj

fxnj
  • Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:24 PM

Every time I've sat down and tried ranking wrestlers I freeze up when I start asking myself some questions about the whole thing and end up concluding the whole thing is bunk.

"How can I factor in the contributions of agents and trainers into my list?"

"How can I make a list without ridiculously over-privileging guys with tons of taped matches over those less fortunate?"

"How do I compare guys working shoot-style schedule to WWE schedule?"

"Is it possible to make a list that isn't simply a ranking of guys with most taped great matches/Is it possible to make a list that isn't simply a ranking of styles?"

"Is the whole thing a waste of time when I've never worked a match and have no idea how easy or hard any of these guys actually are to work with?"

The whole ranking wrestlers thing seems very emotionally based to me, hence the grudges. It's impossible to agree on a solid criteria of how to do it and there's always gonna be a lot of issues, so emotions end up dominating. Ranking taped matches is comparatively much more simple and less problematic, so I doubt it will be anything like what we saw with GWE. 

#25 cad

cad
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:51 PM

All of those questions except the second one and the first part of the fourth one could just as easily be applied to individual matches, though.

#26 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4619 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:17 AM

Its weird to me that people remember GWE as this dark thing. It was an exciting, engaged period for the board. Was there a bit of collective hangover? Yes. But I would do it again.

Not sure matches will ultimately work as well, because there are just too many of them. But should be fun regardless.

#27 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5771 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:15 AM

I didn't do the wrestler one because I didn't feel up to taking into account all the factors that make a wrestler great. With this, I feel like if I really like a match I just have to place it correctly. Also, I have this wonderful list of matches I can watch and consider instead of going big picture with a single wrestler.

#28 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 10043 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:17 AM

Does Great Match Theory applies ?

#29 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 11242 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:19 AM

No, but Great Wrestler Theory does.

#30 ShittyLittleBoots

ShittyLittleBoots
  • Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:55 AM

Definitely will try & be a part of this. Sounds very fun!

#31 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 1057 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:19 AM

I don't remember GWE as a dark thing, but I think its clear that the ethos of the board changed going into the homestretch and then coming out of the project. I have said here many times that I completely understand why, but it doesn't change the fact that there was clearly some negative feelings coming out of it. Emotions ran high one time and now everyone is most over it. That is a thing to poke a little fun at from time to time. That's all people are doing.

I don't worry about this having the same effect. I think generally people are going to find it easier and less stressful. There will be more nominees but each nominee represents one match. In GWE each nominee represented countless matches, promos, runs, feuds, etc. It was overwhelming and much more unwieldy. Even in the massive age of footage now it felt like accessing everything to catch up on certain people was impossible. With GME you just find the match or ask around. You don't need 30+ hours of footage to keep up with some of our more knowledgeable and dedicated peers to understand a nominee. Sure, context matters, but it is still less of an undertaking to grasp a nominee than GWE demanded, in my opinion. The biggest issue with GWE causing such strife I think was that a lot of people put massive amounts of time and energy into it because it was so unwieldy, took the standards very seriously, and then saw that other people didn't put the same effort into the project specifically, even if they had watch a ton of wrestling and knew what they were talking about. I suspect between GME being at least a little less complicated in terms of variables and how many people learned from GWE that this just wont have he same type of results.

That said, I am sure there will be people who passive aggressively dismiss people who don't see wrestling like them or haven't watched as much wrestling or whatever. There will be miscommunications, insults, and people will get upset. Its the internet. I have hope that this can work more as a project to share great matches with one another than anything else. Also, I am sure when HBK vs Taker finishes #1 and #2 I'll be exceedingly bitter and have to eat my words in this post too.

#32 AstroBoy

AstroBoy
  • Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:28 AM

Yeah I wasn't nearly as caught up in the inner whirlwind of the GWE project but I look at that time fondly and consider it a time when I really started enjoying more wrestling. I also think it was rich in great discussion and there was no point in ever letting it cause any personal anxiety about how anybody else went about it. That said, I hope people just have fun and good discussion over this and I hope lots of people drop in at least for discussion purposes

#33 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 1057 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:22 PM

Yeah I wasn't nearly as caught up in the inner whirlwind of the GWE project but I look at that time fondly and consider it a time when I really started enjoying more wrestling. I also think it was rich in great discussion and there was no point in ever letting it cause any personal anxiety about how anybody else went about it. That said, I hope people just have fun and good discussion over this and I hope lots of people drop in at least for discussion purposes

Agreed... and to be clear for my part. I am extremely grateful for GWE. I got introduced to a ton of good wrestling. I didn't participate, but I followed it closely and came away with zero hard feelings toward anyone individually.

#34 SomethingSavage

SomethingSavage
  • Members
  • 1208 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:26 PM

I love this place, especially as a resource to find and discover such a rich amount of wrestling I'd otherwise never stumble upon or seek out myself. With that being said - it seems really silly to me that people took the GWE so seriously and personally. Aren't these projects meant to be fun? I mean, sure. It's also meant to stir up discussion.

And I don't mean to dismiss or downplay anyone's contributions to these projects. But yeah. Surely there are other things going on in life that require more attention. Priorities, folks. If you're getting THAT caught up in the rankings of pro wrestlers on a message board - to the point where it legitimately upsets you and ruins relationships? Then you may need to step back and reevaluate.

It's a hobby. If you aren't genuinely enjoying it, then here's a heads up. You're doing it wrong.

Of course, I was pretty far removed from the process. I was going to participate but bowed out early on, as soon as I saw people criticizing others' opinions and raising the talking point about people being unqualified if they haven't seen much puro or lucha, etc. I knew there & then that it wasn't for me.

Again, I'm grateful for this place and its contributors. Absolutely enjoy reading through the threads, following the podcast feeds, & absorbing all the info I can. But I'm perfectly comfortable being a consumer on the outer circle if this is how these things will always shake out. Guess I'll never understand why people would let these things affect them personally. Just my two cents.

#35 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 1057 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:53 PM

I hope we don't go too far down a rabbit hole here. That wasn't my intent. 

GWE was a great project that I think most people found a lot of value in. I have endless appreciation for those who put time and effort into the project and into producing content about the project.

Lets not get too caught up on what that project was. 

GME is up and running. I am really happy with how the nomination process has gone so far. We have had a few small hiccups on our end, but nothing serious. The match list is growing rapidly and there is a ton of diversity there.  I am looking forward to digging into some new stuff and seeing what might work its way into my own list and/or shape my tastes a bit.

#36 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44074 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:11 PM

To be clear, I blame no one except myself for any bad feelings anyone had with GWE, even if everything didn't involve me directly. I posted my critiques of the whole project early on, which sort of undercut what people were going for from within in a way that I still regret. It's no one else's fault. I don't want to be in the way of people doing a GME project and having fun with it, but I've learned my lesson there. The bigger issue is that I don't want to create burnout after the fact that results in activity slowing way down or people leaving and not coming back. I'm sure the project will be great. For the most part, GWE was great. It just left PWO a little worse off than it found it. I take responsibility for that, which is why I don't want to let it happen again. 

#37 SomethingSavage

SomethingSavage
  • Members
  • 1208 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:20 PM

Definitely didn't intend to derail the thread or anything - just wanted to chime in with my perception of the GWE project and its fallout, since I only occasionally post things around here.

But yeah. I'll be following the GME, especially if there are any accompanying podcasts and whatnot.

#38 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1871 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:04 PM

It’s a way of life, bruh.

#39 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 1057 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:10 PM

Definitely didn't intend to derail the thread or anything - just wanted to chime in with my perception of the GWE project and its fallout, since I only occasionally post things around here.

But yeah. I'll be following the GME, especially if there are any accompanying podcasts and whatnot.

No worries at all.  I just wanted to reroute a bit back to the project at hand.

I imagine there will be podcasting. Project seems ripe for it. 

#40 Jetlag

Jetlag
  • Members
  • 1361 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:11 PM

Looking forward to everyone burning out even worse than GWE after watching too many five star classics and nit picking  which should go higher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users