• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#241 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 10026 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:52 PM

How fucking stupid "Dana Warrior" sounds anyway ? Why the fuck is she even featured ? Her dead husband was a hateful piece of shit, so she gets rewarded to do some PR charity business. That's just cringeworthy on every level.

#242 SomethingSavage

SomethingSavage
  • Members
  • 1197 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:56 PM

And, of course, Warrior having his own award is made even funnier by the outrage of Moolah being honored this year. Tremendous.

#243 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5590 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:58 PM

How fucking stupid "Dana Warrior" sounds anyway ? Why the fuck is she even featured ? Her dead husband was a hateful piece of shit, so she gets rewarded to do some PR charity business. That's just cringeworthy on every level.

Just think about what life is like with a name like that -- struggling to order food or make a reservation while keeping a straight face.

#244 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4765 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 02:16 PM

"Warrior, party of four? Your table is ready."

#245 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 11148 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 02:17 PM

Just pretend she's a Guerrero who Americanized her name  :P

#246 cactus

cactus
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 02:55 PM

Just finished watching it. Yeah, it went on too long. That's why I always just watch it the day after on VLC Media Player on 2x speed.

Henry stole the show. Nearly had me bawling when he mention Owen.

Dudley's speech was great too. Didn't know D'von could be so funny.

I also didn't mind Hillbilly Jim's speech. I was never a fan, but he seemed very humble and an all-around sweet guy.

#247 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 44062 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 05:15 PM

It still makes my head spin a little that at the time they brought in Warrior to be the ambassador, they were bringing him into that role where he'd be replacing Mick Foley. Foley is far from perfect, but it's hard to see that as anything but a downgrade.

#248 iamthedoctor

iamthedoctor
  • Members
  • 1152 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:12 AM

Wouldn't be the first time people reacted in a weird way to someone's inductor only to discover that the inductee themselves picked them (which almost always seems to be the case anyway). That's happened a lot over the years. With Goldberg, it's pretty well known that he didn't have many good memories of his first stints in the business and this last run in WWE did a lot to right those wrongs. He spoke about how happy he was that the Brock program worked so well and it was reported that Brock went out of his way to push for Goldberg to beat him in the way he did and so on. I'd imagine Goldberg interacted with Heyman a fair bit during that period and given that Brock's obviously not going to induct him, Heyman doing so probably makes a lot more sense than some people are saying. 

I dunno he had alot of enjoyable matches in WCW when he battled Raven, Hogan, DDP.

Yeah his initial WWE run sucked because WWE wouldn't do squash matches like he had in WCW. There was a big reaction when he came in but I just felt 20 minute matches was pushing it.

#249 shakla

shakla
  • Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:12 PM

Surprised I haven't heard anyone complain about Hillbilly Jim not coming out to his original "Don't Go Messin' With A Country Boy" theme song.  They played some generic banjo theme instead. 

#250 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 11148 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:23 PM

That song always gets edited out of Network shows/DVDs so I don't think anyone was expecting it. Would have been nice, but music rights for stuff pre-digital era can get messy.

#251 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2846 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:28 PM

I can understand that when you're taking out Hendrix and basically everything that was ever used in the territory days or ECW, but why that song isn't available to them is a mystery to me. I think Koko B. Ware's theme is like that too.

#252 shakla

shakla
  • Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:56 PM

I can understand that when you're taking out Hendrix and basically everything that was ever used in the territory days or ECW, but why that song isn't available to them is a mystery to me. I think Koko B. Ware's theme is like that too.

My guess is that they can't find whoever wrote it and/or the publisher who owns it.  Sometimes it's not just the cost, it's the work to find someone to clear it.  It's not a Jimmy Hart song per the credits on The Wrestling Album.

And I bet a lot of people were expecting or hoping for the original theme, since it has a strong association to him.  Not all fans are aware of music modifications on the Network.  Nor were they seeking out Jim's matches in droves to learn that.

#253 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9571 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:07 AM

The song was written by Doc Pomus, an all-time legendary songwriter who's responsible for basically half or more of Elvis' catalogue. Even for something as tossed-off as that it may not come cheap to re-up the rights.

#254 iamthedoctor

iamthedoctor
  • Members
  • 1152 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:03 AM

That song always gets edited out of Network shows/DVDs so I don't think anyone was expecting it. Would have been nice, but music rights for stuff pre-digital era can get messy.

This is what bugs me about the network. When I get round to watching Mania 2001 as soon as I get to the battle royale I have to pause it load Dailymotion up watch the battle royal there and then skip back to the network when done.

Its one WWE song I wish wasent edited.

#255 SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers
  • Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:52 AM

The song was written by Doc Pomus, an all-time legendary songwriter who's responsible for basically half or more of Elvis' catalogue. Even for something as tossed-off as that it may not come cheap to re-up the rights.

Its Jims Sirius/XM show on the Outlaw Country stations intro. I imagine deals with them are different.

Oddly Freebird is still playing in The Freebirds for their Hall induction, so who knows.

#256 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2846 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:23 AM

I think Michael Hayes is friends with Skynyrd so it probably wasn't as hard 

#257 shakla

shakla
  • Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:06 PM

Never really thought about it before, but "Don't Go Messin' With A Country Boy" is a fairly blatant rip-off of John Denver's "Thank God I'm A Country Boy". 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users