Hall of Fame 2018

• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#41 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2846 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:23 AM

I really hated his misogynist gimmick in WWF (and it carried over a little in WCW too), and that lead to an admittedly irrational hatred of him no matter what he was doing after.

But I don't have a whole lot of objection to him going in (since there are some obviously real misogynists in already), mostly because of how curious I am to see him on WWE programming, with a live mic and expected to speak no less. 

#42 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 11230 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:42 AM

I just watched the video package. Not one mention of being WCW champion. Pretty much nothing after 1999. It's very clear that Jeff Jarrett isn't getting inducted. The character Double J is. Which is fine, but I didn't think it'd be QUITE that clear. If you heard the Something to Wrestle show about him, you got the sense that the company line was that he was never bigger than when he was that character. 

#43 TonyPulis'Cap

TonyPulis'Cap
  • Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:32 AM

A bit like - although maybe not to the extent they seem to be going with Jarrett - that it was the character Razor Ramon that went into the HOF rather than 'Scott Hall'.

#44 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 10026 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:43 AM

I really hated his misogynist gimmick in WWF (and it carried over a little in WCW too), and that lead to an admittedly irrational hatred of him no matter what he was doing after.

That was all Russo living his fantasies through him. It did carry a little bit at the very beginning of TNA but thankfully it went away.

So, who's inducting him ? Road Dog ? Kurt Angle (...) ?

#45 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 11230 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:49 AM

It's got to be Road Dogg. If only the Double J stuff matters, there's almost no one else. Maybe if they can get some current mainstream country star or something?

#46 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 10026 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:51 AM

Of course only Double J stuff matters. It's completely ridiculous, but so is the HoF anyway.

#47 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 1084 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:42 AM

I don't know why people get so het up about the carny hall of fame anyway. It's just a nice way to bring back old characters and let them talk about their careers.

#48 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2846 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:46 AM

Elias would be a good choice.

#49 Laz

Laz
  • Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:00 AM

I don't know why people get so het up about the carny hall of fame anyway. It's just a nice way to bring back old characters and let them talk about their careers.

Because it matters more than it doesn't, at least as much as the Rock n' Roll HOF anyway.

#50 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2846 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:29 PM

It matters more now because it gets mainstream coverage, as opposed to a time when the possibility of the news breaking on ESPN before WWE programming would have been zero. 

#51 SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers
  • Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:40 PM

It matters because the other well known wrestling Hall only exists on some guys hard drive with no ceremonies or proof that it happened.

They may not have a physical space yet, but at least do have a yearly ceremony with artifacts given to the HOFers.

In all honesty I which the Pro Wrestling Hall now in Texas, or Cauliflower Alley were respected a lot more in the IWC than the WOs. Other wise, that is Vinces only competition when it comes to honoring the entertainment venues past.

#52 SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers
  • Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:42 PM

I agree with that. My guess is, its the bias of wishing Meltzers Hall was more respected than just small pockets of the IWC with voters as members of the communities.

#53 SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers
  • Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:42 PM

I agree with that. My guess is, its the bias of wishing Meltzers Hall was more respected than just small pockets of the IWC with voters as members of the communities.

#54 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 11230 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:24 PM

It's no PWOGWE.

#55 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 11148 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:17 PM

I'll never understand why anyone would get upset over anyone being in/out of the WWE HOF. It was brought back to sell DVDs and now it exists for them to have another event on Mania weekend to sell tickets to.

#56 SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers
  • Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:22 PM

I'll never understand why anyone would get upset over anyone being in/out of the WWE HOF. It was brought back to sell DVDs and now it exists for them to have another event on Mania weekend to sell tickets to.

Like I said, I really wish that the physical Hall in Texas (formerly upstate New York) and Califlower Alley were much more prominent than Meltzers. That way the WWE Hall can be treated akin to a pro teams HOF or gallery (Yankees Monument Park), or a team retiring uniform numbers, or making statues inside/outside their home stadium.

#57 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 3080 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:50 PM

For the inductees, having "WWE Hall of Famer" on your resume increases your name value for bookings and on the convention circuit.

#58 SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers
  • Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:22 PM

For the inductees, having "WWE Hall of Famer" on your resume increases your name value for bookings and on the convention circuit.

It is more Monument Park than Cooperstown though ;)

#59 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 10026 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:22 PM

You can also sell your ring. Wooo !

#60 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 11148 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:05 PM

I mean, it is pretty much the same as the Rock n Roll HOF when you think about it. You can be inducted multiple times as either solo or a group, and it's pretty much up to the person running it who gets in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users