Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-01-28-NJPW-The New Beginning in Sapporo: Day Two] Young Bucks vs Roppongi 3K (SHO & YOH)

ShittyLittleBoots

I agree this wasn't as good as the Dome match but still a fun tag. I thought Matt's selling was more interesting than it was effective. It felt like the crowd never picked up on it to the extent they probably intended. That's the downside to that sort of subtle selling (both with the move that caused it and the way he reacted to it the rest of the way). The spot where he couldn't get off the power bomb and the spot at the end where he couldn't hold onto the sharpshooter didn't seem to resonate to the level you would hope. The intent and effort were there to do something different but I don't think it totally clicked. It might have been overly ambitious.

• 2 months later...

Standing around and just waiting for a guy to dive is just as a bad as walking around a building during a brawl and holding onto a guy by his hair. Obviously the Bucks and whoever they are working with aren't the first guys guilty of doing this, but it looked really goofy here when one of the Bucks ran all the way up the ramp while the rest of the guys just stood there waiting for him to run down the ramp and do the dive.

Psychology? This was just a standard Jr. tag match. This is the first time watching Roppongi 3K and they did nothing for me here. I will credit the Bucks for having amazing cardio and being a really athletic.

This was also really long and I never got the sense of the amazing performance Matt Jackson put on. The dude fell from a Sharpshooter because he had injured his knee or back early in the match, but it was no issue for him when he was running with a dude on his shoulders across the ring to Powerbomb him in the corner.

Anyway, I thought this was forgettable.

• 1 month later...

If that was a work, Matt needs to teach every wrestler in history how to sell.

Indeed.

Excellent match with a selling clinic by Matt. The finish was a beautiful idea, it warmed the Bret Hart fan in me. I really came to love the Young Bucks in New Japan, much less post-modern and goofy yet still using their crazy offensive repertoire.

• GSR changed the title to [2018-01-28-NJPW-The New Beginning in Sapporo: Day Two] Young Bucks vs Roppongi 3K (SHO & YOH)