Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 29/1 - 4/2

Stiva

Drake Maverick is far from a great name - it sounds like something spit out by the WWE Generic Name-o-Meter - but it's masterpiece compared to Rockstar Stud.

And, even though this is a non-wrestling role on a c-level show, it's still a main roster call up. No wasting time in NXT for Spud Maverick.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And in even more exciting news, apparently WWE has signed Jeremy Borash.

That's a weird one. He always struck me as one of those Bob Ryder types.

He worked closely with Hardy on the Broken videos on the production side so I'm assuming they want to do them right. Or Hardy has insisted.

He's supposed to work with NXT going forward. Apparently, JB and Don Callis were supposed to be the commentary team for the next set of Impact tapings but this now goes out of the window.

It's pretty obvious that they're using 205 Live as a way to cope with the fact that so many of the current talent pool is tiny but well-supported by the fanbase. Just stick them all in the corner so as to not dilute the heavyweights they actually want to push/market, etc. Really, what they should have done is made the paltry investment in buying TNA when it was at its lowest and make this the new X Division.

So is Rockstar Spud retired or injured or something? I assume he is not going to be wrestling as GM. I was excited to see Tyler Bates in the tournament, but was worried to see he was against TJP in his first match as TJP seems like one of the bigger stars of 205 and I was right to be worried. I am glad to hear Bates will be wrestling on NXT tomorrow though. I would like to see a bracket for the tournament

I dug 205 Live this week. It's not quite the pure "wrestling in a vaccuum" joy of WCW Worldwide since there's angles and the running thread of a tournament but there was two fun matches and I'm a sucker for a tournament. I imagine that they haven't shown a bracket because Drake is going to insert himself and become a sly heel GM (I hope not) or they're trying to get Neville back and want to put him in there.

Drake Maverick isnt a generic WWE name at all. Its a generic Indy name. Which is why its awesome.

Shit, didnt I read in the results page of a PWI from 1997 that Reckless Youth beat Drake Maverick? 😀

I was down a TV Westerns theme song rabbit hole on YouTube recently, so now I cant see his name without hearing either the classic or the one from the 1980 James Garner revival in my head! ;)

Just from hearing Dave talk and looking at the recent booking I think the decision to do the mixed tag match at mania was a late decision. Pretty sure Stephanie rehiring Braun was to set him up him vs. HHH but that angle was completely dropped. Then next week .Dave reports Miz v Braun, leaving HHH open. Pretty obvious they had other plans before switching to the tag

So, Vince throwing Coach out there with no preparation time to adjust and relearn how to do this was a total Ok Mr. ESPN guy, time to bring ya down a knotch deal? Cause he not only stunk, he brought down Cole and Graves who are both quite good and had a fun dynamic with Booker. Its almost as if they made sure RAW would be great just to make this lesson to Coach not be what everyone is talking about.

I hate fan conspiracy theories more than any living fan, but its all I could think about watching an otherwise great RAW. 😀

Just from hearing Dave talk and looking at the recent booking I think the decision to do the mixed tag match at mania was a late decision. Pretty sure Stephanie rehiring Braun was to set him up him vs. HHH but that angle was completely dropped. Then next week .Dave reports Miz v Braun, leaving HHH open. Pretty obvious they had other plans before switching to the tag

Why should we believe any of this, Dave has been flat out wrong about WWE's plans for a while now.

Just at the Rumble, he said Bobby Roode's opponent would be a HUGE surprise. It was Mojo. Then he stated the surprise was moved to the Rumble. Then he said it was Dolph. He made no mentions of Rey, as well.

That may be the plan, or it may be fake info that Dave is being leaked. We'll have to wait and see. I just don't think Dave has any good sources inside the WWE right now.

So, Vince throwing Coach out there with no preparation time to adjust and relearn how to do this was a total Ok Mr. ESPN guy, time to bring ya down a knotch deal? Cause he not only stunk, he brought down Cole and Graves who are both quite good and had a fun dynamic with Booker. Its almost as if they made sure RAW would be great just to make this lesson to Coach not be what everyone is talking about.

I hate fan conspiracy theories more than any living fan, but its all I could think about watching an otherwise great RAW.

Coach was so bad, like usually I can just ignore bad commenting but he was brutal. Totally miss Booker.

Why should we believe any of this, Dave has been flat out wrong about WWE's plans for a while now.

Just at the Rumble, he said Bobby Roode's opponent would be a HUGE surprise. It was Mojo. Then he stated the surprise was moved to the Rumble. Then he said it was Dolph. He made no mentions of Rey, as well.

That may be the plan, or it may be fake info that Dave is being leaked. We'll have to wait and see. I just don't think Dave has any good sources inside the WWE right now.

The plan was Adam Cole until late in the day, and that's what he was referring to. Then clarity prevailed as they realized that Cole doing a job in an 8:00 match wasn't a smart idea, either for him or for NXT, and they decided they'd rather offer a disappointing surprise.

I probably should just stop watching Smackdown and switch to 205 Live at this point.

I tried to watch 205 Live this weak. However the reboot (or however you want to call it) does not change the biggest problem that the show happens in front of a totally dead crowd which is a huge turnoff for me. They should stop doing a live show after Smackdown and instead tape every three weeks at Full Sail. This would improve the show more than any new talent could do.

Mojo Rawley > Adam Cole, and I'm not even kidding. As a "surprise," Mojo is obviously flat, but he smokes Cole in every other way.

Fact.

Also as far as Ronda Rousey goes I'm fairly certainshe is already being presented as a heel. The way everyone else in the ring reacted to her coming out at the Rumble, the way the rest of the roster is talking about her on twitter, all signs point to her being a heel. They know a lot of the fans are going to boo her for being the "outsider" coming in with a big push so they're just going to lean into it.

Mojo Rawley > Adam Cole, and I'm not even kidding. As a "surprise," Mojo is obviously flat, but he smokes Cole in every other way.

Fact.

Also as far as Ronda Rousey goes I'm fairly certainshe is already being presented as a heel. The way everyone else in the ring reacted to her coming out at the Rumble, the way the rest of the roster is talking about her on twitter, all signs point to her being a heel. They know a lot of the fans are going to boo her for being the "outsider" coming in with a big push so they're just going to lean into it.

Yeah, I think the smiley/point to the sign thing was just a one-time deal for her first time in, whether she is a heel or not. That said, it’s going to be pretty tough for her to be a heel if she’s working with Stephanie at Mania and they should just roll with her as a babyface. I’d also rather see Charlotte be a heel if they are doing that eventually, too. I don’t have much faith in Charlotte carrying a good match as a babyface at this point.

I think they know Ronda has the type of personality that people tend to dislike after a while, so it's smart to position her as a heel after the initial "holy shit, she's really going to do this wrestling thing" buzz wears off.

It makes booking sense too. Have all the women against her for "stealing their moment" at the Rumble, then she runs through the low level women until Mama Bird Steph has to defend the honor of the division she single handedly bore from her womb or whatever.

They have to be careful. Baszler is a prodigy with a head start.

I am actually a bit concerned about that, for Shayna's sake. They're not likely to run with two "Uber Legit MMA" heels. I suppose they could use their past friendship and make a faction out of it. Perhaps a killer tag team.

Much as I like Ronda - and I like her a lot - I hope Shayna isn't buried by this.