Pro Wrestling Only

[2010-07-10-NOAH] Takahasi Sugiura vs Yoshihiro Takayama -

Superstar Sleeze

GHC Heavyweight Champion Takahashi Sugiura vs Yoshihiro Takayama - NOAH 7/10/2010

Sugiura was well into his 581 day reign as champion, which seems questionable, but given the roster there was not much of a choice. This was the NOAH tenth anniversary tour and they are still in a decent sized building drawing 5000+.

I loved this a lot more than expected to. Sugiura is a wrestler that usually draw apathy from me. He is undersized and hits hard. There is not much charisma from him. But at least he does hit hard. I think that adds to this match a lot. They start with a strike exchange and I eye roll. Takayama hits a dropkick to send Sugiura out the ring. I love Takayama! Wicked kneelift on the outside and then he THROWS SUGIURA DOWN ON THE TABLE! Damn! Nice baseball slide. Takayama still has it. Very similarly to the Nakamura match I just watched from 1/4/10. Takayam dominating the young champion with a brutal bruising style. I love his kneelifts. Takayama busts himself open on a headbutt. Blood is pouring from his face. Sugiura gets a human capture suplex. I could do without them trading big boots, but they are laying everything in. I thought the last five minutes were fantastic. Sugiura hits a wicked German into the turnbuckles. He finally turns the tide on the Bleach Blond Giant of Japan. Everything up to that point would sort of just phase the Big Man, this was the first time he had him reeling. Great selling from Takayama. Sugiura EARNS two more Germans, a Dragon Suplex and an Olympic Slam. Sugiura is doing a good job playing to the crowd and firing up. Takayama is selling really well. Takayama gets his big nearfalls. Backdrop driver and then his beautiful Everest German! 1-2-NO! They start punching each other in the face with closed fists. All of sudden Sugiura channels Jerry The King Lawler and unloads a can of whoop ass that had me pumping my fist. Two Olympic Slams later Sugiura retains and I am in shock that I was so excited about a Sugiura match! The last five minutes make this an easy thumbs up. I thought the first ten minutes were very good and it is always entertaining to watch Takayama beat the piss out of someone, but it was nothing special. It is the ending that makes this truly great. ****

• GSR changed the title to [2010-07-10-NOAH] Takahasi Sugiura vs Yoshihiro Takayama -