Pro Wrestling Only

[1967-08-14-JWA] Giant Baba vs Gene Kiniski

superkix

The atmosphere of this match is incredible, with the outdoor seating, fans puffing cigarettes and fanning themselves off as two dudes sweat for an hour inside a small wrestling ring. It’s the kind of match you put on in a dingy hip bar somewhere and let play without any context or explanation. The no good cheatin’ Gene Kiniski against the surprisingly more aggressive Giant Baba. On a whole, this match isn’t going to burn any barns down but there are a lot of neat nuances dashed throughout, like the way Baba uses his long legs to hammer the back of Kiniski’s neck while he’s got him in the leg scissors, repeatedly pushing his own knee into Kiniski’s face. The little extra mustard behind Baba’s kicks and stomps, or how Kiniski immediately puts his knees up after a scoop slam to counter the pin attempt -- cool shit bits like that. Baba wins the first fall with a dropkick, Kiniski the second with a diving knee drop, and during the third, the two unload on each other in desperation, with plenty of brain chops and big boots from Baba, sold really well by Kiniski. After time expires, they’re given five more minutes and the lanky Baba comes out dropkicking. Kiniski delivers a backbreaker hold and a diving knee but when he tries for the coup de grâce kneedrop, Baba rolls out of the way. Smelling blood, Baba attacks Gene’s leg, trying to submit him with the single leg crab before the match ends in a double time limit draw.

Love this match. I have seen better Baba matches but I can't remember ever seeing a better Kiniski match. I grew up in Vancouver and Kiniski was the big star of my local wrestling show as a kid. He was great on the stick even then, at the end of his career. I am glad that this match exists as proof of his greatness. Like you say, this match is a masterclass in nuance. It's all about the little things.

• GSR changed the title to [1967-08-14-JWA] Giant Baba vs Gene Kiniski
  • 2 years later...

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Gene Kiniski vs NWA International Champion Giant Baba - JWA 8/14/67 Two Out of Three Falls

Big Thunder won me over during Sam Muchnick's retirement ceremony. Quick-witted, funny man and ex-baseball star & announcer Joe Garagiola roasted Kiniski before having him come on. Kiniski said "Joe, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit" and then totally scorched for a couple minutes. That's when I became a fan of Big Thunder!

First Fall: We are JIP 30 minutes maybe even  35 minutes in so I probably wont be able to rate this, but it looks like we have the back half of a 60 minute draw so I will check it out. This might be the only footage we have of Gene Kiniski as the World's Heavyweight Champion. Baba has a full nelson on Kiniski but he falls to his back and works a crucifix. great mat work. When Kiniski breaks free, awesome attacks on the knee and the windpipe. Really liked those stomps heeling it up. Immediately, Kiniski looks like a better athlete than Bruno in terms of coordination. Good strikes and moves well. GIANT CHOP! BIG BOOT! 1-2-3! Baba up I believe 1-0! That could have been the second fall. I'll update this if I am wrong.   

Second Fall: This was the Kiniski revenge fall. JIP to a Kiniski hammerlock. They stand up. Stand & Bang. Kiniski literally runs away and hops over the top rope. Kiniski goes for a little assplay, that cheeky devil, that brings Baba down to the mat. Kiniski goes full bore heel with a ton of choking, knee on the throat, figure-4 the head. Baba gets in his hope spots, but Kiniski is cutting him off with cheap shots. Kinski chucks him in the crowd. They dont do too much. I liked the finish a lot. BIG THUNDER GOES UP TOP!  a pair of Bombs Away Kneedrops! As called by the announcer! :) Best part was before the second one a fan hopped on the apron and tried to shake the top rope! The heat! Kiniski takes the second fall! Tied 1-1.

Third Fall: Here come the bombs! I love how organically Baba applies a reverse waistlock into an Atomic Drop. Then theres a proto-Dangerous Back Drop Driver by Kiniski! Kiniski works in a nice comedy spot getting table topped by Baba. Lots of strikes go flying. Kiniski is choking and cheating. Baba is pressing trying to win the World Championship. Curious finish as Kiniski hits a nice, nasty backbreaker on Baba. He goes for the Bombs Away Kneedrop again and has fight off a fan. Baba catches him coming off the top in a headlock. As time expires it is Kiniski beating down Baba. Weird usually the babyface is winning at the end of regulation and leaves you feeling robbed. WAIT! What's this? They are signaling for FIVE...MORE...MINUTES! Doesnt matter if it is 1967 or 2017 that shit is always over! 

Five More Minutes: Excellent! BABA DROPKICK! WHAT A SELL BY BIG THUNDER! BABA FELLS THE OAK WITH A GIANT CHOP! 1-2NOOOO! I AM LOSING MY MIND 55 YEARS AFTER THE FACT! KINISKI STARTS CROWDING IN THE APRON! BOOOOOO! BACKBREAKER! FUCK NO! NOT THIS WAY! SOME FAN GET UP THEIR STOP HIM! BOMBS AWAY! FUCK NO! CMON BABA! BIG THUNDER SCALES THE TOP ROPE! BOMBS AWAY! BABA MOVED! BABA MOVED! BABA MOVED! GO BABA GO! GET EM BABA! HE'S GOING FOR THE LEG! KINISKI IS ROLLING INTO A BALL! DONT GIVE UP! BOSTON CRAB! NO SINGLE LEG CRAB! THERE'S A NUCLEAR MELTDOWN GOING ON! WE ARE ALL COLLECTIVELY LOSING OUR SHIT! TAP! TAP! TAP! CMON BABA! THE BELL RINGS! SOME FAN JUMPS IN THE RING! THE REF HAS HIS FIST COCKED & LOADED! I FUCKING LOVE PRO WRESTLING! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! DAMN I CANT BELIEVE DIDNT WIN THE WORLD TITLE THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN FUCKING BITCHIN AS FUCK! 

~**** too much cut out to rate it, but fuck watch this shit!