• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#41 Al

Al

Because a wrestling avatar seemed appropriate

• Members
  • 3005 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:39 AM

The Ernie Ladd promo with Vince McMahon on the 1/10/76 episode is can't miss television

Seconded. What a treat that was to watch.

Whenever I get to see Ladd footage I hadn't before, I never cease to be entertained. What makes him great in the WWWF was how just about every other heel had a manager (he had the Grand Wizard, but...) that spoke for them. Meanwhile, Ladd talked, and did it far differently and probably better than a manager could for him. Heck, in this promo, the way he put other heels over as legit (in his own mind, of course) did that job too. He really stood out amongst the heels in the Northeast, IMO. I don't know if I'd say he was ahead of his time with that (although he could be, being among the first African American heels), but he went against the grain in many ways...and excelled doing so. One of the greatest all-time greats.

Ernie Ladd is a goddamned treasure. 

#42 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 3083 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:49 AM

The Ernie Ladd promo with Vince McMahon on the 1/10/76 episode is can't miss television

Whenever I get to see Ladd footage I hadn't before, I never cease to be entertained. What makes him great in the WWWF was how just about every other heel had a manager (he had the Grand Wizard, but...) that spoke for them. Meanwhile, Ladd talked, and did it far differently and probably better than a manager could for him. Heck, in this promo, the way he put other heels over as legit (in his own mind, of course) did that job too. He really stood out amongst the heels in the Northeast, IMO. I don't know if I'd say he was ahead of his time with that (although he could be, being among the first African American heels), but he went against the grain in many ways...and excelled doing so. One of the greatest all-time greats.

I haven't looked into this in detail, but it could be the case that since every WWWF heel had to have a manager, the ones who were strong talkers tended to be paired with the Grand Wizard. In addition to Ladd, he also managed Superstar Billy Graham, Blackjack Mulligan, and Sgt. Slaughter.

#43 Marty

Marty
  • Members
  • 2057 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:51 AM

For anyone Network-less, WWE still has the full promo (and following Ladd handicap match) on their YouTube page:

#44 Marty

Marty
  • Members
  • 2057 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:54 AM

I haven't looked into this in detail, but it could be the case that since every WWWF heel had to have a manager, the ones who were strong talkers tended to be paired with the Grand Wizard. In addition to Ladd, he also managed Superstar Billy Graham, Blackjack Mulligan, and Sgt. Slaughter.

Perhaps, but Wizard still spoke for guys like Graham, as shown with the content drop they gave. "Look at the arms!"

Admittedly, this is also a bit of personal taste of mine, as I have higher praise for Ladd than Graham.

#45 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 3108 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:05 PM

Johnny Rodz vs Frank Williams from 3/20/76 is like some kind of jobber dream match

#46 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 3108 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:21 PM

Does anyone know what Rocca always calls Vince? Sounds like he is saying "General"

#47 Al

Al

Because a wrestling avatar seemed appropriate

• Members
  • 3005 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:41 PM

Junior?

#48 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 3108 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:54 PM

Yeah, that's probably it

For those interested in such things, 11/12/77 features a very early appearance of the legendary jobber team Johnny Rodz and Jose Estrada (the future Medicos in Puerto Rico). Wrestlingdata actually doesn't have an earlier date for them teaming together

#49 Cornette's racket

Cornette's racket
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:05 PM

I don't know whether I just had very low expectations of this drop of content given it was late 1970s WWF stuff but I've been very suprised and actually really like it. The matches aren't necessarily enhancement matches. There is some work rate for some of the matches. And Vince calls the matches like a legit match and bar Bruno's "hair" looking ridiculous it's actually been great.

#50 Shrike02

Shrike02
  • Members
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Life, the universe, and everything.

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:07 PM

For anyone Network-less, WWE still has the full promo (and following Ladd handicap match) on their YouTube page:

So much fun. Great promo.

#51 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 3108 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:08 PM

Speaking of bad hair/toupee, what the fuck is going on with Rocca?

#52 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 3108 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:27 PM

Mr. Fuji's Kamikaze clothesline was badass

#53 Cornette's racket

Cornette's racket
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:32 PM

The episode I'm watching today is for January 27th 1979 episode which is 47 minutes long and nearly twenty minutes in and we've had a time limit draw and an Ivan koloff vs Steve king match where koloff didn't make king look like shit and gave him some offence. And also praised him as a good wrestler.

Also Vince has just asked a logical question about why Ivan pulled his opponent up at the count of two. Maybe I've been listening to cornette and his less than positive comments about the New York product but I'm really liking it so far.

#54 Sean Liska

Sean Liska
  • Members
  • 1419 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:38 PM

Watching a fun Tito-Rodz match. Rodz and Estrada were really the key to whether you're going to get a good show in what I've seen of 79, whether you'll get a fun competitive match. You learn something every day.

#55 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 3108 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:46 PM

BOB BACKLUND VS BARON SCICLUNA!!! (1/28/78) Ok, Titans is coming back. Auditions to replace Parv start tomorrow at 5pm sharp

#56 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 3108 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:01 PM

More gold on this show: Frank Williams signing an autograph for a fan before his match

#57 Cornette's racket

Cornette's racket
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:10 PM

During the Ivan koloff interview the good captain himself does a tale of the tape on koloff. Vince calls Albano a lunatic and says thank you very much to end the interview.

#58 thebrainfollower

thebrainfollower
  • Members
  • 1284 posts
  • Interests:Doctor Who, Star Wars, classic horror, politics, history, theater, and that wrestling thing we are here for.

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:53 PM

Anyone know who Cowboy Bob was on the 2-27-76 show?   The Baron is all over these early episodes and this is way more entertaining than I was expecting

#59 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9577 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:34 PM

I'm not going to spring for the Baron as a lost worker or anything, but I'm pleasantly surprised that he's actually working some holds and doing some wrestling in these matches, instead of going straight for either the foreign object or the hold-the-ear sell.

#60 thebrainfollower

thebrainfollower
  • Members
  • 1284 posts
  • Interests:Doctor Who, Star Wars, classic horror, politics, history, theater, and that wrestling thing we are here for.

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:43 PM

his reaction to Cerdan and Parisi going heel against his partner was laugh out loud funny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users